Good UST tires?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Good UST tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

New question here. Good UST tires?

I am getting Mavic 823s soon and I was wondering what a good UST tire would be? I was thinking of using standard dh tires, but then I wouldn't get the bennefit of having the lighter tire. I like Kenda Nevegals, but the son't make the right UST sizes so I was looking at Maxxis Minion DHf and DHR 2.5. What are you guys running?
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Dh16

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    The Minions or Highroller UST are the best choice IMO. They're almost 100 grams lighter than other DH tires but the Super Tacky compound isn't the best for the long term.

All the Michelin models are great for traction, but they don't roll as good as I'd like. The rubber compound wears a tad better than Super Tackys, but have even better traction. The DH16's are around 1370 grams vs. the Maxxis UST's at 1250. (Kevlar beads)

Now the flip side to all of this is with 823's you don't really have to run UST tires if you also use a little Stans. I run Stans anyway for the hikers who "accidentally" drop nails on the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Personally... my favorite combo:

Michelin DH16 2.5 up front
    DH24 2.2 in the rear with trimmed knobs.
    Last edited by Rb; 08-03-2008 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    UST tires are generally significantly heavier. IMO they make almost no difference in functionality either. I rock 2.5 3C Minion DHFs in standard. I rarely run UST tires. They are more expensive too. Just pick a tire based on tread and weight/casing then throw stans in there and go ride.

mtbr member
    Be careful which tire you choose though. If you go to notubes.com they have a list of recommended brands of "regular" tires that work well tubeless and those that don't. I personally think the UST tires seat and hold air better than the non-USTs. However, Maxxis non-UST tires have worked far better in a tubeless setup than other brands of non-USTs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    Be careful which tire you choose though. If you go to notubes.com they have a list of recommended brands of "regular" tires that work well tubeless and those that don't. I personally think the UST tires seat and hold air better than the non-USTs. However, Maxxis non-UST tires have worked far better in a tubeless setup than other brands of non-USTs.

I've never had trouble with Maxxis, Kenda, Schwalbe, or Bontrager FWIW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I didn't know Highrollers came UST in 2.5 size. So that might be my combo DHF and Highroller or DHR.
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    DHFs on both ends are money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    DHFs on both ends are money.
    That is an awesome combo for DH for sure, awesome grip in the corners. If you have to pedal around at all you might appreciate having the highroller on the back as it will roll faster and be easier to pedal than the DHf, IME.

mtbr member
    I use dhf in the rear and dh16 in front. Great combo
    BOS<3

mtbr member
    I use mainly Hutchinson barracuda Low(dont go for less sticky as they slide on wet roots like ****) but they have a new rubber combo for this year plus a few new models. They don't burp and roll and grip amazinlgy. Michy's are supposedly also good but had no chance to try them.

UST tires are generally significantly heavier. IMO they make almost no difference in functionality either. I rock 2.5 3C Minion DHFs in standard. I rarely run UST tires. They are more expensive too. Just pick a tire based on tread and weight/casing then throw stans in there and go ride.
    Dunno about that. My Hutchinson barracuda ust weight about the same as non ust maxxis tires. Plus the benefit of tubeless is lower rolling resistance. Since I turned UST my tires roll significantly better (I'm a light rider and I gain speed much faster than heavier ones without pedaling)
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    UST tires are generally significantly heavier. IMO they make almost no difference in functionality either. I rock 2.5 3C Minion DHFs in standard. I rarely run UST tires. They are more expensive too.
    This isn't true reguarding Maxxis DH models. As I said in my post above, there is a weight savings of OVER 100 grams using the UST versions of the Minions vs. the 3C models. (Kevlar vs. steel bead)

What you're saying about UST tires is true when you're talking XC or enduro model tires...

Functionality? I guess it comes down to rubber compounds and the 3C tires seem to wear a little better than the Super Tackys. Also, the price of a 3C and the UST versions are the same in our shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

should know better.....
    I love my Michi 32 in the front, and cut 24 in the back. Maybe a little slow rolling, but glorious traction. And they air up super easy on both my Outlaw ghetto tubeless set-up, and my 823's.

Bikes Rule
    Well I can tell you that Arrow Ramped Bites UST tires suck. That is what I have been running and they are just terrible in anything.

I just ordered a Highroller and DHF in 2.5 for new tires for my Highline. I run the standard DHF/DHR in 3c on the Bottlerocket and I love the tire combo. Unfortunately nobody had the DHR in 2.5...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    The Minions or Highroller UST are the best choice IMO. They're almost 100 grams lighter than other DH tires but the Super Tacky compound isn't the best for the long term.

All the Michelin models are great for traction, but they don't roll as good as I'd like. The rubber compound wears a tad better than Super Tackys, but have even better traction. The DH16's are around 1370 grams vs. the Maxxis UST's at 1250. (Kevlar beads)

Now the flip side to all of this is with 823's you don't really have to run UST tires if you also use a little Stans. I run Stans anyway for the hikers who "accidentally" drop nails on the trail.
    always run the stans whatever tire you run......Michelins seem to work better for me better then Maxxis
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    mich comp 16. super grippy, have to say that they do not roll as good as the maxxis, but depends what u look for, i like the grip factor way more than the bad rolling

Its got what plants crave

By the time you factor in a tube, your weight "savings" doesn't really work out that well. I personally don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to figure out which tires work well and the PITA of getting non-UST tires to seat, and generally don't hold air as long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    always run the stans whatever tire you run.
    Why? I've been running UST for the better part of a year and haven't had any problems w/o Stan's.

Members who have read this thread: 0