good match for my new VP free?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. good match for my new VP free?

I'm getting ready to pull the plug on an 07 888RC2X VA.
    I'm going this route because I may not be the smoothest rider all the time, and while I plan on beginning my race career this year (ha ha)....I'm not overly concerned with the extra pound over the Boxxer.

Good match or not?

Glad to Be Alive
    Good match
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

dh-er
    Nov 2006
    SMT, dont you think a shiver would be a better fork? lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    I'm getting ready to pull the plug on an 07 888RC2X VA.
    I'm going this route because I may not be the smoothest rider all the time, and while I plan on beginning my race career this year (ha ha)....I'm not overly concerned with the extra pound over the Boxxer.

Good match or not?
    Probably a great match - although I would consider the '07 66 RC ETA if I were you - I have one on my VP Free and it is great, I love being able to drop the front down for climbs (ETA) - it has 180mm of travel, single-crown which allows for more line-picking down rock gardens, on North Shore style stunts (when I get back up there) and around tight switchbacks - I went from a Super T to the 66, and I'm loving having a great long-travel single-crown up there - and it does fine on big drops too (I did Carpet drop on it last weekend - look up SMT's pics of that drop - and it felt great)

Bum Buzzer
    Perfect Match!

(I have one leaning against the wall waiting for my VPF to come!)

mtbr member

question about the color...

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Perfect Match!

(I have one leaning against the wall waiting for my VPF to come!)
    Is your fork all black?
    or is it a grey color.

The Marz site shows the OEM as black. I'm assuming this is what I would get once I order.

thanks.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Probably a great match - although I would consider the '07 66 RC ETA if I were you - I have one on my VP Free and it is great, I love being able to drop the front down for climbs (ETA) - it has 180mm of travel, single-crown which allows for more line-picking down rock gardens, on North Shore style stunts (when I get back up there) and around tight switchbacks - I went from a Super T to the 66, and I'm loving having a great long-travel single-crown up there - and it does fine on big drops too (I did Carpet drop on it last weekend - look up SMT's pics of that drop - and it felt great)
    I think a 888SL ATA would be a better match for the VPFree in accordance to what you are saying.

I think it would be a perfect match. But if you want to do what macrider said the 66 handles great, then look at the 888SL ATA. Air fork, so it is a little lighter, but has adjustable travel from 200 to 170mm.
    '06 Specialized Demo 8 II * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * '09 Haro Steel Reserve * '70's Guerciotti SS

mtbr member

I hear you...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbykr06
    I think a 888SL ATA would be a better match for the VPFree in accordance to what you are saying.

I think it would be a perfect match. But if you want to do what macrider said the 66 handles great, then look at the 888SL ATA. Air fork, so it is a little lighter, but has adjustable travel from 200 to 170mm.
    but I know I want a dual crown with 200mm.
    The air sounds cool...but I love the reliability of the coil.

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Is your fork all black?
    or is it a grey color.

The Marz site shows the OEM as black. I'm assuming this is what I would get once I order.

thanks.
    Dunno about the OEM, but the international page shows black - U.S. page shows grey, and the one leaning against the wall is grey!!

mtbr member

grey

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai
    Dunno about the OEM, but the international page shows black - U.S. page shows grey, and the one leaning against the wall is grey!!
    my LBS said if I decide to order it would be grey too.

pics of the grey look pretty cool. I'm happy with either color actually.....

Members who have read this thread: 0