A good bike for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

New question here. A good bike for me?

I was wondering what would be a good new bike for me. I do mostly lift-served resort riding at Keystone (and occasionally WP & Solvista) and I race DH a few times a year. Even if I'm not racing, I do a lot of DH riding at Keystone (when I say DH, I mean like racing-style riding). However, I also like to do freeride stuff there (hence resort riding, DH and FR). Since Keystone is pretty rough, I would like to have 8" of travel and a DC fork. I wouldn't like to spend more than 3,000, so what is a good bike in that price range that can handle resort riding and is comfortable doing some DH racing (preferably with 8" of travel and a DC fork)? What bikes fit the bill? I've been looking into a bunch of options, but I wanted to see what people think based on this description.

Oh, and to those who read my other thread, yes, I do have a broken arm, but I'm really bored (obviously) and am looking at options for the future.

thanks
    Last edited by spacemarine5; 07-08-2008 at 11:24 PM.

Moose Enthusiast
    Feb 2006
    do you care at all about being able to pedal uphill?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hofferfish
    do you care at all about being able to pedal uphill?
    Good question, and no, not really. It would be nice to have a bike that pedals well, but since I am doing lift-served resort riding, it's not a top priority.

Bike Hustler
    maybe check out my sig? hmmm...
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Any others? Can a blindside easily be built up for under 3k?

Will to Win
    you can build a blindside for 3k if you go cheap on most parts. mainly on the fork.
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by albertomannil
    you can build a blindside for 3k if you go cheap on most parts. mainly on the fork.
    Maybe like a boxxer race?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How about a Sunday Expert?

mtbr member
    here's your future rig:
    08 Iron Horse Sunday Team

or this if you dont mind a single crown fork, but want the better parts for the extra $500:

08 Iron Horse Sunday Elite

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FreerideMonkey7
    here's your future rig:
    08 Iron Horse Sunday Team

or this if you dont mind a single crown fork, but want the better parts for the extra $500:

08 Iron Horse Sunday Elite
    Is the expert good too? The elite is a bit pricey and the team normally is, but of rscycle its good...

Can the team and the expert both still handle freeride well?

Glad to Be Alive
    used M-3 or Socom, V-10
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I've ridden the expert and yeah i think it can handle freeride well. It was a bit heavy (around 45 lbs.) so that limited the "flickibility" i had over jumps. I did do some mini whips or ugly table-top tries, but i'm noto the best jumper 9need a bit more practice.) Most of the jumps i was able to clear (there were like two or three that i defenitly didn t have enough speed on), but if i pedaled harder and pumped better i dont think i would have trouble. Since I'm light (about 130, depends what I'm wearing) I wished it was lighter so i could control it a little better. Oh and all the drops felt comfortable( the biggest one i did was like a 10-15 drop depending on where you landed). I also did some jumps and drops that i never did before.

It was good on the downhill (obviously) even though it wasnt set up for my weight (probably a bit oversprung since i'm so light).

I think the Team is much nicer, looks(the white with silver) and because its lighter and the components are better.

The Elite would be better for Freeride and I think that some of the components are nicer, but it all depends on preferance. I would go with the Elite just because I like Freeride better I think and i want the totem do be more stylish on the jumps and its like a pound lighter. But with the Boxxer it will defenitly be much better on the Downhills.

I think the Team would be great for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FreerideMonkey7
    I've ridden the expert and yeah i think it can handle freeride well. It was a bit heavy (around 45 lbs.) so that limited the "flickibility" i had over jumps. I did do some mini whips or ugly table-top tries, but i'm noto the best jumper 9need a bit more practice.) Most of the jumps i was able to clear (there were like two or three that i defenitly didn t have enough speed on), but if i pedaled harder and pumped better i dont think i would have trouble. Since I'm light (about 130, depends what I'm wearing) I wished it was lighter so i could control it a little better. Oh and all the drops felt comfortable( the biggest one i did was like a 10-15 drop depending on where you landed). I also did some jumps and drops that i never did before.

It was good on the downhill (obviously) even though it wasnt set up for my weight (probably a bit oversprung since i'm so light).

I think the Team is much nicer, looks(the white with silver) and because its lighter and the components are better.

The Elite would be better for Freeride and I think that some of the components are nicer, but it all depends on preferance. I would go with the Elite just because I like Freeride better I think and i want the totem do be more stylish on the jumps and its like a pound lighter. But with the Boxxer it will defenitly be much better on the Downhills.

I think the Team would be great for you.
    Alright thanks for all the help.

Are there any other bikes people want to throw out there that haven't been discussed yet?

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    a norco a-line park edition or team dh...cheap cheap price,bulletproof bearings,code brakes...almost maintenance free...i was going to say the blindside but ai saw a review from siclines.com and it seems it's not totally sort out,they say that the rear end is pretty flexy..
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lmx
    a norco a-line park edition or team dh...cheap cheap price,bulletproof bearings,code brakes...almost maintenance free...i was going to say the blindside but ai saw a review from siclines.com and it seems it's not totally sort out,they say that the rear end is pretty flexy..
    Isn't the a-line park edition like 3800? I know the team dh is above my budget

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    i'm sure you could get a good deal on it....
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Some questions about the sunday:
    -All of the sunday's use the same frame right? Just making sure...
    -I've heard some people say that sunday's don't ride well if you don't have the right body geo? (right body geo being tall with long limbs, some say.) Is this true? Cause I'm not that tall nor do I have long limbs...
    -Are sunday's pretty lively? i.e. not sluggish?
    -The frame is strong enough to take a beating from FR/DH at Keystone right?

GRAVITY IS GOOD
    Somebody had to bring this bad-boy out! Freeride or die.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HOFFMAN223
    Somebody had to bring this bad-boy out! Freeride or die.
    That thing could totally shred the gnar

But seriously, does anyone have answers to the above questions about Sunday's?
    Last edited by spacemarine5; 07-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Bike Hustler
    -Yes
    -No, I'm 5ft 6in and feel just right
    -Yes, with the correct spring rate and a healthy dose of psi in the boost valve
    -DEFINITELY
    SHAM-WOW

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    -Yes
    -DEFINITELY
    Alright thanks. I'm 5'4" now but I'll definitely grow before I get a new bike (hopefully next season?)

moaaar shimz

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    hahaha

NEWBIE WAN KENOBI
    yeah go for the sunday doode ! make your money worth it
    DO YOU BUTT QUEEF ?

N* Bomber Crew
    DH and FR? I'm really liking the new Rocky Mountain Flatline for DH and a lot of FR aspects of riding. I would definitely look into one.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    DH and FR? I'm really liking the new Rocky Mountain Flatline for DH and a lot of FR aspects of riding. I would definitely look into one.
    Will do. And one of my lbs' is a rock dealer so that's good... How much is the flatline 3? I know the pro is a little pricey...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    -Yes
    -DEFINITELY

Actually the Sunday Factory frame on the WC and frameset is a different frame. It uses a different tube set and is made in a different factory.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blonde
    Actually the Sunday Factory frame on the WC and frameset is a different frame. It uses a different tube set and is made in a different factory.
    So wait only the team, expert, and elite have the same frame then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spacemarine5
    So wait only the team, expert, and elite have the same frame then?
    Yep. That's not to say those aren't phenomenal frames. The factory frame is just a little cut above.

Members who have read this thread: 0