Good All Around DH/FR Frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good All Around DH/FR Frame?

Im looking for a good all around DH/FR frame. It will be used for some racing but mostly just for fun riding. There are just so many choices out there i was just looking for some help. Any frame suggestions?

Bike Ninja |||
    Just frame?

Can't go wrong with a Demo 8 . possibly the best all around DH bike, capable of racing, winning races, recreational riding, and FR elements all alike. plus they added the MAG link which drops the weight significantly. it looks purdy too.
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

mtbr member
    whats your budget?

But my top rides would have to be

Canfeild Jedi 1
    Demo
    Ventana El Cuervo
    Turner DHR

N* Bomber Crew
    Interesting Question. For FR and DH, I can only point you in so many directions.

1. Demo 8. The Demo has great geometry for all sorts of Gravity Riding. You can get one used for a good price. They'll rip on Downhill, and they feel good on drops.

2. Rocky Mountain RMX: As much as I dislike the RMX due to the bad linkage and leverage ratio, the bike is designed to do a lot of gravity disciplines. If you got a lot of money, maybe you could get the Flatline/Flatland...whatever its called.

Someone recommended the DHR. I would only consider the Turner DHR if it is pre 2007 and if it is NOT drilled. You can NOT ride a DHR, even in its original position if it has been drilled. A drilled DHR is going to give you DH only geometry (Very Slack Head Angle, Low Bottom Bracket). A non drilled DHR has good all around Geo, something like a 66-67 degree head angle, 13-14" ish Bottom Bracket Height (Not sure on that one), and a reasonable wheelbase.

I'd go Demo before DHR for both DH and FR though.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    good all around DH/FR frame? whats your budget? ride style? what have you ridden (and liked?) can't go wrong with something basic like a stinky, bighit, glory FR or 7point. If you've got a little more to spend, and like FSR, the demo bikes are pretty fantastic - one of the best "everything heavy duty" out there. Do you want something budget? botique? the mongoose ECD and black diamond series are insanely cheap and really really awesome - great parts spec, awesome linkage, and cheap as hell. The ECD is the best deal out there for a DH bike as far as I'm concerned.

Give us some more information and maybe we can help more

Nucking Futs
    Banshee Scythe.

mtbr member
    IH 7 point 5
    '08 Turner DHR :)

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Give Astrix a look

Well I would have to mention either the Astrix Huckster or Astrix Havoc, both have pimp suspension setups and are great for DH, Racing, and Freeriding, as well as Trail riding. I have been riding my Astrix Huckster for two seasons with not one issue! Great to pedal and a blast on the way down.

Links:
    http://www.astrixsports.com/huckster.html

http://www.astrixsports.com/havoc.html

Cheers,
    Rafael
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the help. As far as budget goes I want to buy used and spend around $1000-1500. This will be my first true DH bike and I am still learning a lot about my riding. I also want to get into racing this season.
    I have a 2007 888 RC2x VA that will be used on the bike.
    Ive never owned any other real DH bikes before just used a 5" travel frame and have out ridden it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    dirtbag or blindside

Bike Ninja |||
    Quote Originally Posted by XJman07
    Thanks for all the help. As far as budget goes I want to buy used and spend around $1000-1500. This will be my first true DH bike and I am still learning a lot about my riding. I also want to get into racing this season.
    I have a 2007 888 RC2x VA that will be used on the bike.
    Ive never owned any other real DH bikes before just used a 5" travel frame and have out ridden it.

Yep. in that case the Demo is the choice. Paired up with the 888 it has amazing all around geometry. I had a good friend that ran one last year, with that set-up and loved it... In fact I actually liked it a bit more then my set up

The demo is a VERY forgiving bike, and it makes you faster quick! go with the demo. you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    id sell you my 04" marin team dh + rear wheel for 200$, 10" travel single pivot that you can change the travel down to 7" if you want and it has a floating brake option (i dont have it) and an uniterupted seattube so you can mount a front derailler if you wanna climb hills - PM me

Dr Phil mmkay
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    dirtbag or blindside

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Huckster Pix

here is a real DH/Freeride Rig!

-R
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    thanks for all the help.
    this is probably gunna sound like a really stupid question but what are the diffenreces in the Demo 6,7,8,9? im thinking travel?
    also if i were t buy one used what is the best year and model to buy?
    thanks alot

aaarrrggghh!
    I second the Blindside vote. I love mine.

Bike Ninja |||
    thanks for all the help.
    this is probably gunna sound like a really stupid question but what are the diffenreces in the Demo 6,7,8,9? im thinking travel?
    thanks alot

Don't think there ever was a Demo 6.. in fact I know there never was one...
    Demo 7 -7.3" (7.7" if shock spacer is removed) travel, steeper head angle, higher BB, shorter wheelbase then Demo 8
    Demo 8 - 2007 + has refined slacker Geometry, longer wheelbase, shorter chainstays, lower BB, lower standover, more linear shock actuation compared to Pre 2007 Demo 8s. I believe all have 8.2" of travel.
    Demo 9 - 150mm rear end, very progressive travel, 9" of travel, pretty much bomproof (I only know of one person who broke one.) Heavy respectively, but not that bad. Geometry is more oriented to hucking and all around DH than to racing.

That's my reader's digest version of the slight differenced between Demo models. I owned a Demo 7, and have worked extensively on all other demos so I know them pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    thanks for all the help.
    thanks alot
    I dont think there is a Demo 6. The difference between the 7,8, and 9 is pretty much travel. and very slight Geo changes. I have an 08 Demo 8 I and love it!, I've also been on the current Demo 7 and didn't notice too much of a difference. The D7 does feel like it has better square edge rolling though. In terms of year they are pretty much all the same- as long as its in good condition then you wont have a problem. The design changes were after 06 I believe. Again, anyone of them is fine so long as it doesn't have huge dents in it!
    I've a few 05-06' Demo' with pretty bad dents on the sub-seat stays and the bike still rocks. Some have even race with pretty bad dents on the frame. I do highly advise against that though.

And the Transitions are great bikes to find used, Banshee are heavy as hell but they are built to last. A used IH 7point would be prime choice for me beside the Demo if I were in your situation.
    I like rice.

Nucking Futs
    You saw the red/ white Scythe? That beast weighs in at a very respectable 38.6 lbs. for what it is and can do;

Doubt you'll break it.

Or if you like shiny

mtbr member

... and if we just ... New 2008 Havor R

Check it out, due to be out this spring!

http://www.ridinghighuk.com/index.ph...150&Itemid=121

-R
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Again thanks for all the advice. I've always liked the looks of the demo frames. I've been reading around and doing some research and it seems like people out there don't like the large demos? Is there are reason for this? Im 6' is that the right size i should be looking for or would a medium be better?
    Thanks alot.

Brackish
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionsf
    dirtbag or blindside

Ditto, I have a Dirtbag with a 2007 888 RC2X on it. Love it for eveything from Whitler to the Shore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudmanner
    I dont think there is a Demo 6. The difference between the 7,8, and 9 is pretty much travel. and very slight Geo changes. I have an 08 Demo 8 I and love it!, I've also been on the current Demo 7 and didn't notice too much of a difference. The D7 does feel like it has better square edge rolling though. In terms of year they are pretty much all the same- as long as its in good condition then you wont have a problem. The design changes were after 06 I believe. Again, anyone of them is fine so long as it doesn't have huge dents in it!
    I've a few 05-06' Demo' with pretty bad dents on the sub-seat stays and the bike still rocks. Some have even race with pretty bad dents on the frame. I do highly advise against that though.

And the Transitions are great bikes to find used, Banshee are heavy as hell but they are built to last. A used IH 7point would be prime choice for me beside the Demo if I were in your situation.
    just to clarify, although the banshee scream frame is heavy, it is significantly lighter than a demo 9 frame, and I believe even lighter than a demo 8, a lot of people don't realise this!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    im 5'10" and have a medium demo 8 on order. I tried a small, but the reach felt really short to me. If the top tube height on the large is fine with you, i would get that. I cant wait to ride mine!

ride hard take risks
    Again thanks for all the advice. I've always liked the looks of the demo frames. I've been reading around and doing some research and it seems like people out there don't like the large demos? Is there are reason for this? Im 6' is that the right size i should be looking for or would a medium be better?
    Thanks alot.
    At 6' you should be fine on a medium.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by builttoride
    just to clarify, although the banshee scream frame is heavy, it is significantly lighter than a demo 9 frame, and I believe even lighter than a demo 8, a lot of people don't realise this!
    any bike will be fine with me!

I've been looking at the Knolly V-Tach for a while and that is by no means a light bike.
    I like rice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My vote for the D7 or Turner Highline. Not too much travel so that you wallow in it, and enough to have some nice cush..... Both are pretty versatile with lower bbs and great geos. If I could only have 1 bike it would be one of these 2. Yeah it wouldn't be as fun for trail riding, but I'm a firm believer in having and not needing than needing and not having...

'All over it!'

Nice Banshee...

Quote Originally Posted by Sneeck
    You saw the red/ white Scythe? That beast weighs in at a very respectable 38.6 lbs. for what it is and can do;

Doubt you'll break it.

Or if you like shiny
    This Banshee looks very nice and at such a good weight. It looks very similar to a Nicoali UFO ST.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where you can buy the frame, but the Marin Quake XLT series is the most efficient pedaling 6-7" travel bike available. Not to mention Shaums March won 2 world master DH's on it, so it obviously can do DH too.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/te...h_quadlink.php

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    This Banshee looks very nice and at such a good weight. It looks very similar to a Nicoali UFO ST.
    Put away the crack pipe.

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="2704" width="800"><tbody><tr align="center"><td height="19"> </td> <td> </td> </tr> <tr align="center" valign="bottom"> <td></td></tr></tbody></table>
    Formotion Products

Living the High Life
    I have an Astrix Huckster and a Giant Faith and I've ridden (more than a parking lot ride) a Sunday, and a Zumbi and have riden with guys who own 303s Demos Glorys Big Hits M3s V10s etc.

I also have a Trans Double and my friend has a Trans Bottle Rocket. I've heard nothing but good things about Trans geometry and both of us agree on that.

For pure DH the Sunday, 303s and M3s are your ticket. For occasional DH and more FR the Astrix is a good choice. A Faith can be ridden either way (depending on the link position).

For my next bike though (2009 time frame, I like my Faith), I'm leaning towards a Zumbi or Blindside. I race DH but like a bike that can freeride a bit, meaning not totally stick to the ground and plow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GetDirty
    I'm not sure where you can buy the frame, but the Marin Quake XLT series is the most efficient pedaling 6-7" travel bike available. Not to mention Shaums March won 2 world master DH's on it, so it obviously can do DH too.

http://www.marinbikes.com/2008/us/te...h_quadlink.php

hahaha, I'd take 80% of that with a big ol' pinch of salt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A couple of vides of a Banshee Scythe in action that I found on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL8oFXwkxJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XXLl2vn2eY

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what about a Foes Fly?

i drink shower water
    giant glory FR
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    hahaha, I'd take 80% of that with a big ol' pinch of salt!
    80%? At the most, 50%. I don't expect anyone to believe until they ride one themselves. Then they'll understand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks alot.
    I know this has been said before, but if you can be sure to size it up yourself. I personally would go with a large. I'm 6' and tested the medium, and the cockpit felt cramped. My medium Demo 9 is actually pretty close to the same size as teh 07 large D7....

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GetDirty
    80%? At the most, 50%. I don't expect anyone to believe until they ride one themselves. Then they'll understand.

I'm not saying they don't ride well (I've never ridden one, so couldn't possily say anything about that), but that marketing mumbo jumbo is mainly just made up and doesn't ring true.... for example 'symetrical bikes corner better' haha. and most of their stuff about instantanious centers is not accurate... don't be taken in by the marketing, always ride a bike before you buy! I'm glad you like your marin, thats awesome, just too many companies make up 'physics' for marketing reasons.

ride hard take risks
    I'm not saying they don't ride well (I've never ridden one, so couldn't possily say anything about that), but that marketing mumbo jumbo is mainly just made up and doesn't ring true.... for example 'symetrical bikes corner better' haha. and most of their stuff about instantanious centers is not accurate... don't be taken in by the marketing, always ride a bike before you buy! I'm glad you like your marin, thats awesome, just too many companies make up 'physics' for marketing reasons.
    No way say it's not sooo!!
    Formotion Products

mtbr member

How 'bout a Morewood shova LT

Real sexy.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by lalocotequinta
    Real sexy.
    Dude I totally forgot about the Morewood Shova LT. Top notch bike man. The thing will do ANY gravity principle you want it to. Simple Single Pivot design, ideal geometry, and such easy maintenance, can't go wrong with the Shova.

I guess I could toss in Izimu as a recommendation as well. Although it is designed as a DH rig, you can fine tune the Geometry to your liking.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Dude I totally forgot about the Morewood Shova LT. Top notch bike man. The thing will do ANY gravity principle you want it to. Simple Single Pivot design, ideal geometry, and such easy maintenance, can't go wrong with the Shova.

I guess I could toss in Izimu as a recommendation as well. Although it is designed as a DH rig, you can fine tune the Geometry to your liking.
    http://www.morewoodbikes.com/bikes/2...a-lt/tech.html

Sweet SP
    Formotion Products

Living the High Life
    Reign X, Demo 7, Iron Horse 7 point?

mtbr member

Shova LT

Quote Originally Posted by lalocotequinta
    Real sexy.
    Picture 175 (Small).jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0