Going Too Big ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Going Too Big ?

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007

Going Too Big ?

OK, I just got back from Whistler and I am hooked, so now it is time to buy a bike. My background is 25 years of cross-country riding, so I am a very good technical rider. I rode most everything Whistler could throw at me except for the big drops, I am 48 afterall. Anyway, I am considering either a Giant Glory 0 or the Giant Glory DH. My 16 year son tells me the Glory DH is too much bike for the old man. I rode a Rocky Mountain Switch and a Rocky Mountain RMX and definitely prefered the 8" travel over the 7" travel. My gut tells me the Glory 0 is enough bike for me, but boy does the Glory DH look sweet and it has gotten nothing but great reviews. Any insight would be grateful!
    Ride hard or ride home alone

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i would go with the glory 0 cuz its a great freeride bike and its lighter and easier to control. but whatever you feel is right is what matters

Shop *****
    If you plan on doing ONLY DH, that's what you want to do. Glory DH.
    If you want to do drops hucks, and jumps, get a Glory 0.

That's what it comes down to. The Fox 40RC2 is a great DH fork, but not so much as a FR fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    the 40rc2 will take freeride just fine, just because its a great race fork doesn't mean its a bad FR fork. The main problem afflicting it effects it in both DH and freeride, which is that in their effort for light weight their lowers are like paper mache and the stanchions scratch easily.

the biggest difference between the two is that the glory DH is gonna be more stable and less flickable, and you'll feel alot more like you're sitting in the bike. The FR version feels like you're more on top of it.

just depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. the DH wont handle sharp turns as well, but it'll do fine

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    the 40rc2 will take freeride just fine, just because its a great race fork doesn't mean its a bad FR fork. The main problem afflicting it effects it in both DH and freeride, which is that in their effort for light weight their lowers are like paper mache and the stanchions scratch easily.

the biggest difference between the two is that the glory DH is gonna be more stable and less flickable, and you'll feel alot more like you're sitting in the bike. The FR version feels like you're more on top of it.

just depends on what kind of riding you'll be doing. the DH wont handle sharp turns as well, but it'll do fine
    Great feedback everyone! Sounds like with my cross country background I will be happier with the Glory 0. It was suggested to me to make it an even better bike, I should drop the Marzocchi 66 RC3 fork and replace it with a Totem, Thoughts?

Shop *****
    Well, you're going to get ALL the Marzocchi fanboys to chime in on that one, and it will just cloud your judgement and you will get replies like "OMG MARZZOCCHI RULES, GET THAT"
    Where the reality is, the Totem is better than the 66. It's more plush, more adjustable, and is much more tough.
    But, you will have people tell me I am full of ****, the 66 is big enough, Marzocchi CS>RS CS.. I know it will happen.

I say Totem.
    Fanboys say 66

Hoodoo Voodoo?
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drakan
    Well, you're going to get ALL the Marzocchi fanboys to chime in on that one, and it will just cloud your judgement and you will get replies like "OMG MARZZOCCHI RULES, GET THAT"
    Where the reality is, the Totem is better than the 66. It's more plush, more adjustable, and is much more tough.
    But, you will have people tell me I am full of ****, the 66 is big enough, Marzocchi CS>RS CS.. I know it will happen.

I say Totem.
    Fanboys say 66
    Good point. I was told yesterday by a Marzocchi fan that the 888 is a great fork and I have no reason to doubt this gentleman. In fact, I believe the Rocky Mountain RMX I demoed at Whistler had an 888 and I had no complaints. Maybe the question should be, Totem or Marzocchi 888?

moaaar shimz
    Keep the 66 IMHO

Shop *****
    Now, with that question, I would go with the 888. It's VERY nice. RC2X is a great dampening system, and VA allows you to go with travel adjust, like the Totem 2-Step.. But the 2-step had some problems with its initial release..

But, if you get a freakin' 66 with the bike... Why drop an extra grand to upgrade?!
    Keep the 66! I agree with tacubaya... I thought you meant, 66 vs Totem, then the Totem is better, but the 66 is still good, and there's no reason to drop 1bill for minimal improvement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    keep the 66. at least ride it before thinking about upgrades

...for I am a raindog too

you gotta be crazy......

OMG MARZZOCCHI RULES, GET THAT!!!!! NO WAY I'D CHOSE SOME CRUMMY OLD RS OVER A ZOCCHI!!!!!!!! BESIDES MARZOCCHI RULES ALL!!!!

just kidding drakan

yaha ha
    Id defiantly keep the 66 on there to start out with and see how you llike it. Im sure youll like the glory frame. which ever one you go with- I have the DH (2006) and love it

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ihaven't ridden the totem but i imagine its very very awesome. I have ridden a 66rc2 and a 888rc2 and both of them were utterly f***ing amazing and i'm not in the M fan club. I think pretty much if you use fox, rockshox, marzo, white brothers, or a whole number of newer forks, if you get their high end forks its gonna feel amazing. the difference between how well you'll be able to ride on any of them will be minute, and it will basically come down to the rider not the forks/suspension.

anyway, the glory freeride version you sit on TOP of, and the downhill version you sit in. I you're doing stunts and stuff, its a little easier to throw the FR around and especially bail, but if you just like going fast the DH is the way to go.

my 2cents

Members who have read this thread: 0