Going from Bottlerocket to Reign X1?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Going from Bottlerocket to Reign X1?

Guys,

I have been ripping a Bottlerocket for everything from trail rides to annual trips to Whistler for the past two years. I have finally decided that I want to make a change because I just have never gotten used to climbing the 38lb beast.

I am thinking that I could pick up a Reign X1 for everything and then just swap out the 36 for a 66 or a Totem for the bike park stuff. I would be doing mostly aggressive trail riding and shuttling with a small amount of djing mixed in. We also hit up Mammoth, Whistler and then Fontana a few times a year to run the race course.

Is the Reign going to feel markedly better than the Rocket as far as climbing?

Will the ReignX hold up for park riding or am I better off buying a complete lighter trail bike (with slack angles) and then also something like a Demo or Blindside frame and then swap over the Brocket parts to the DH frame so that I have two bikes? I always felt like I was undergunned with the Rocket on the steep tech trails at Whislter and the Shore.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yes, you will probably notice an improvement in smoothness and pedaling efficiency going to the reign. that's just a function of more travel, and a non-4bar linkage (which is going to bob one way or another). the maestro does bob, but to a lesser extent.

as far as taking it elsewhere: my reignX has handled fontana, mammoth, and most other places in socal with aplomb. sure, it got a little rough through some parts of mammoth, but it is only a 7" bike. never been to whistler yet, so can't comment on that.

also, the reign can jump, but it won't have nearly the pop that a BR does. the BR was designed for jumping things on north shore trails, and the suspension is designed to make it good at that. the reign is more of a suck up everything type suspension. very plush, but tends to eat lips. that said, it still works fine for DJing.

in terms of weight, you won't be losing too much probably. my reign, with DH wheels, tires, cranks, and fork (currently a 66SL) comes out to ~37-38lbs for park riding. with a 36 up front, it'll be a bit lighter for any climbing duty. I'd personally put a 180mm fork on it for the park stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    been there done that get two bikes if possible

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i have my reign x down to 34lbs with dhx coil and 66 rc2x. my wheels are not the strongest, but they can handle light fr and am style riding. I also have a new glory Dh, so i dont really need to make it too tough. The reign x is a big over achiever, it will get you into trouble with how fast you want to go, and then realize, you only have 6.5"s of travel. Great bike though!
    2020 Santa Cruz Megatower

2019 Chromag Rootdown

2019 Specialized Stump-jumper EVO 29er

2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Oh, So Interesting!
    2 bikes

Members who have read this thread: 0