going big- Mtbr.com

Thread: going big

mtbr member

going big

i need some advice and probably a confidence boost here, i want to hit some crazy jumps, and drops but every time i come across them i freeze up and say fu$% that, mainly because i know bad things can happen if things go wrong.

so what i want to know is for all you that do hit the crazy stuff how did you overcome the fear
    i was told to just hit it and let my instincts kick in, and not to build it up in my head, any thoughts here ?

thanks

mtbr member
    you start out small and work your way up to bigger and bigger hits. If your head is saying F*$K that, then I think it is best to listen to it until it tells you to GO FOR IT! Use caution, no need to get hurt
    Aw, crap!

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by splattered
    i need some advice and probably a confidence boost here, i want to hit some crazy jumps, and drops but every time i come across them i freeze up and say fu$% that, mainly because i know bad things can happen if things go wrong.

so what i want to know is for all you that do hit the crazy stuff how did you overcome the fear
    i was told to just hit it and let my instincts kick in, and not to build it up in my head, any thoughts here ?

thanks
    Welcome to my world...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey man, I know what you mean. I have only been in this sport for a few months and I think you will be amazed how your skill and confidence starts building the more time you log on the saddle. And riding with people that know the tricks and all that is a huge bonus. I do find myself sitting there from time to time going hell no, but there are times when you just hit it and you would be surprised that it wasnt as bad as you thought. But let me be the first to say that protective gear is EVERYTHING. Yeah its cool seeing the guys on dvd's just sporting a helmet with some knee bads and doing road gaps but being safe is huge in my book. It does me no good being broken. Today went to our local spot, something i have ridden a few times. The drop-offs range from 4 ft to 8. All the jumps I have hit before and no big deal. Today I didnt nail one of the them, just was jacked up, my lines sucked and being in the air felt like crap. And on the last third of the trail where you just bomb downhill, I caught some weird bit on land, no rocks, no sand, nothing, and then I ended up slamming into the ground. It was such a fast slam that I couldnt shift my body or put a arm out, and hit my head stright on the ground. Thank god for a FULL FACE. I'm sure I'm not the only person here that has had their full-face save not only their face but their life. That sounds extreme but I would have been totally jacked up. I ended up shattering my visor and cracking the inside of my helmet, even had my goggle lenses scatched. I cant say enough about proper gear. I rather deal with this kiler head-ache and neck being completly sore then having to wire my face back together!! I know this didnt help much and I dont mean to 'scare' you out of hitting it, but just be smart and stay humble because that bike will f$%k up your world in a split second.

Z

clyde in training
    liquid encouragement

StraightOuttaCompton
    do a flip over it, then you can't see the size of the gap. or you could close your eyes.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i know that you have heard it many times before, but start small. master small drops and jumps. know what your bike is going to do in air before it does it. that way when you hit those bigger jumps and drops you will pretty much know whats going to happen. and btw dont EVER go slow on jumps with landing that are made to be hit at high speeds. you will get even more hurt. i know its harder to man up and some times alot more terrifying to go full speed but it will actually better and plus it feals amazing when you hit a jump cleanly.
    My sponsors: The US Bank of Daddy

Black Water Racing
    -Reality Meets Gravity

should know better.....
    Most recent version of this topic, it's got some good info.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=fear

don't move for trees
    start small is great, but when it comes down to it, you still have to have some balls to hit it. once I find something new with my buddy, I try and hit it first, that way I don't get intimidated by it. If you know it's with in your range of stuff you can land good, don't think just act.
    "Get a bicycle.You will not regret it if you live." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you have the skills, you just need some...

moaaar shimz
    Punch yourself in the balls.

mtbr member
    Dont over think it, lay back and HIT IT! Gravity and times gonna happen anywase so just hold on.
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

OMG!

thanks
    ride with people better than you

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    that is actually really good advise

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    Indeed you get some good peer pressure going lol and you also get so see how its done...

mtbr member
    i was told to just hit it and let my instincts kick in
    thanks
    your instincts are telling you not to so obviously you arent there yet... not saying people dont look at something and contiplate but if you cant talk your self into after 10-15 min then its prob best to wait

mtbr member
    i like the liquid encouragement idea, when i crash i won't feel the pain until i sober up

seriously though i did start small i progressed from really small to 4-5 footers and have good control of my bike in the air, i think it's all the what if scenarios running through my head, as for riding with people more skilled than i am, i haven't had the chance due to the odd times i can get away to ride, nor do i know people that are much better than me,
    my riding group is mainly XC people that say forget about it when it comes to anything more that 2 feet of air, i'm hoping to change that this summer though, from seeing all the videos of highland mtb park, killington and a few others i know most of my riding this season is going to be in the great state of NH

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ride with people better than you AND people that are at your same level. That way, you can benefit from the wisdom of those better than you, and you'll be driven to hit something out of pride once your friend who's at your level hits something. I know i feel compelled to hit things if my friends (who are mostly at my skill level) hit them. We're still racing to see who can hit a this one full set doubles cleanly. Friendly competition helps a lot.

check your six
    When you are ready to hit it, you will have some fear, but not he "Hell NO" fear that you get now. Relax, hold on, and keep the bike level. If all that goes good, then the bike will take care of the rest... Also, riding with a better rider is great.. nothin like a little friendly motivation...
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    When you are ready to hit it, you will have some fear, but not he "Hell NO" fear that you get now. Relax, hold on, and keep the bike level. If all that goes good, then the bike will take care of the rest... Also, riding with a better rider is great.. nothin like a little friendly motivation...
    I second that. Something will always go wrong and you WILL get hurt. Theres no "being around the bush" about that. Fact of the matter is you will get hurt, but thats just part of the sport. But once you build up the confidence you need MOST of that fear will disipate.

Good Luck!
    '08 Turner DHR :)

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Madman133
    Indeed you get some good peer pressure going lol and you also get so see how its done...
    Have your friends call you a *****, that always motivated me (and cause my left ring finger permanent deformation :'( )

Glad to Be Alive
    gradually build up to the bigger stuff and ride with people better then you
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

i drink shower water
    if your not nervous then your not doing it right, hits should make you a bit nervous. remember if you are not falling you arent getting better.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

old broken downhiller
    You need to work on not thinking about what might happen if you wad it up. Don't feel bad, a lot of people have this problem. I know I still do. Over-thinking things.

You have to learn to push the bad, negative thoughts out of your head. Don't think about what will happen if you deviate from your line, think about what's supposed to happen - that you nail your line perfect. Don't think about how you're going to crash off that drop, think about how you're gonna stick the landing instead.

Concentrate on your line - not where you don't want to go. If you focus on a bad line you want to avoid instead of the good one you want to take, you'll naturally deviate toward what you're looking at.

Positive mental state. Think about riding, not crashing.

And it is true - if you don't crash once in a while, you are'nt pushing yourself...
    Refusing to grow up since 1978...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Dont over think it, lay back and HIT IT! Gravity and times gonna happen anywase so just hold on.
    I agree. That is what I always tell people I am riding with. Just do it, don't panick. Once to are in, if you commit and do not panick you will be fine 99% of the time.

Hell I have undershot, overshot, had to much speed, to little speed and just about everything else on huge gaps, drops and jumps and I have almost always saved myself. All I do in a sketchey situation is hold on and try my best to ride it out.

Members who have read this thread: 0