Goin to Moab next weekend, best place to trail ride?- Mtbr.com
    Live Life, Ride a Bike!

New question here. Goin to Moab next weekend, best place to trail ride?

First timer to MOAB!! I ride a Heckler so I know I can pedal the trails, where are the hot spots? Any good F/R areas some jumps, drops, technical etc.... I'm no serious hucker but I can handle some 2-4 footers. I am just learning to do drops and what not and 4 footers are as big as my balls will let me go!! Info for good ridin spots would be appreciated.

FM
    mtbr member
    I'm sure some people will disagree, but I think porcupine rim and the slickrock loop are the best trails there.
    slickrock only takes a few hours....porc rim can turn into an epic XC, or you can shuttle it, it's still long and has plenty of climbing. But, the descent is like a fast 8 miles of 1-2' drops... not to be missed. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by MTNCREW
    First timer to MOAB!! I ride a Heckler so I know I can pedal the trails, where are the hot spots? Any good F/R areas some jumps, drops, technical etc.... I'm no serious hucker but I can handle some 2-4 footers. I am just learning to do drops and what not and 4 footers are as big as my balls will let me go!! Info for good ridin spots would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Other than Slickrock...

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm sure some people will disagree, but I think porcupine rim and the slickrock loop are the best trails there.
    slickrock only takes a few hours....porc rim can turn into an epic XC, or you can shuttle it, it's still long and has plenty of climbing. But, the descent is like a fast 8 miles of 1-2' drops... not to be missed. Enjoy!
    the trail that made Moab famous, with good reason, is Porcupine. Take Acme shuttle from town to the trailhead. Hardcore locals ride from town on the 11 mile dirt road. It starts with a fairly long climb to an awesome cliff. From there its pretty much downhill, cross country, and wide open. Along the way are a few places to do some hucking. Nearer the end there's some cool techy singletrack. Then an easy 6 miles on the road back to town. First timers HAVE to ride this trail.

You can't come back from Moab and say you didn't do Slickrock trail. So there's your weekend. If you can squeeze another day in, Gold bar has many 2-6 ft. drops as it zig-zags its way to the Portal trail.

Whichever ones you do, you'll be back to find lots of cool stuff. Have a great trip.

Rob

mtbr member
    ride-the-slide - Nice avatar...check out my profile.

If you can squeeze Slickrock in for an am ride...you must head out to Amassa Back in the afternoon!

You Heckler is an almost perfect match. A beefy, ledgy, rocky 5 mile climb to a spectacular overlook...retracing your path back down the trail is a friggin BLAZING DH run full of ledges, drops...just sweet moderate technical stuff with some pretty difficult spots and a beauty of a 4-5 footer.

One of my Moab favs.

Mad props to the Coyote Shuttle - by far the nuttiest, funniest and best shuttle service in Moab! I live in Colorado and have thier number programmed into my cell!
    435-259-8656...ask for Jesse and be sure he brings along "Nick".
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

mtbr member
    I'm not a hucker, but Amassa Back probably has as many if not more hucking opportunites as Porc Rim. Unfortunately, the climb is a hell of a lot longer, but the there is a lot of opportunity to get some air.

Also, I don't want to stereotype FRs, but be sure to stay on trail in Moab. The crust is actually a living a microgramism, so you can do a lot of damage if you go off trail (not that I was accusing you of, but just wanted to make you aware since soe of the trails in Moab are difficult to see--they have to mark them with paint).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Porcupine rim is a fun trail, you'll want to get a shuttle from a shop to take you out the dirt road to the trail head unless you want to make the ride a big long loop from town. I think Poison Spider maybe provides that shuttle service. They might also shuttle Onion Creek, which isn't as popular but it's a fun ride right now, there's about 20 creek crossings at the end of the ride, so if it's warm you get a little bonus at the end.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

TNC
    noMAD man

In this order...

Quote Originally Posted by MTNCREW
    Do slickrock first to get a very fun but realistic "feel" for the area you'll be riding. It's not extremely long or bonecrushingly hard--a very good break-in ride. Then do the shuttle (Coyote or Acme) and ride Porcupine Rim--IMHO the best overall trail in Moab. Some serious XC or distance folks will try to shame you into pedaling the whole round trip...don't do it unless you're really into that sort of thing--you're looking at about 28 miles, and I think the dirt road climb from the Slickrock parking lot to the Porcupine trailhead sucks (I did it my first year when I didn't know any better back in the early 90's). Next should be Amasa Back. A not too bad a climb out to an unbelieveable overlook, and then a blast of a technical ride down on the same trail--an awesome ride. Next, a new trail--the Sovereign. This is a very technical but fun singletrack trail that became public knowledge about a couple of years ago. It's mostly flat but unbelieveably "swoopy" through rocky areas with a couple very dramatic climbs and downhills thrown in--it's out-and-back on the same trail. Next should be Flat Pass. Not a lot of people do this one, but I guarantee you it's a blast. There are some very "Amasa-Back-like" portions and then it ends in a fun downhill section--well worth it. There is a shuttle for Flat Pass too, but it's not too hard to do in a circuit since the start and end or fairly close together. We always "self shuttle" since there's a group of us with 2 or 3 vehicles every year. Next would be Bartlett Wash. This is a fun "playground" kinda ride with lots of freeride moves and such available all over the place--be sure to do "Dolly Parton" or "Doom" out on the end of Bartlett. The last of the recommended "classic" Moab rides is Gemini Bridges. It's not really techical, but it is very pretty and lots of fun. It's almost a "must shuttle" for most folks. BTW you can do your own shuttles if you have enough vehicles--we always do. There are definitely other trails all over the area. Get Todd Campbell's book there in just about any Moab bike shop or store. Along the way on most of Moab's trails you can stunt and freeride on formations, ledges, and drops till you puke. As one poster said, you don't want to go off into the crytobiotic (?) dirt areas off the trail, but so much of these trails have rock, sandstone, or already existing multiple lines that you shouldn't have to. Some also whine about a lot of these great trails being somewhat 2-track in many areas. I like that because you can bomb down some of these, making last second choices of harder, easier, or death instead of being locked onto an 18" monorail. Moab's a great place with lots of friendly people in the town and lots of great riding all around. The pic I attached to this is an example of many of the ledges that you can play on all along the trail--this one on Porcupine Rim. Have fun when you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I did my 1st trip to the "holy land" in October. While there i rode the Pocupine Rim trail.
    Dude, ya gotta do it!
    The climb from the trailhead to the lookout seems sick, but once there, the view is worth it
    From that point on, put it in the top gear and point'er downhill and GO!
    Sooooo much fun {shivers w/ delight}
    this space left intentionally blank