go big or go home

goggles

what kind of goggles do ya'll use?

Chinky on a Stinky
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    what kind of goggles do ya'll use?
    dont use goggles for anything

(i just know someones gonna say "thats cuz ur asian and nothing is big enough to get in your eyes anyways" so im just gonna kill it)
    Straight outta Compton..............

Team Tony Train - FR/DH Forever!!!!
    Sponsors: White Devil Syndicate (we're workin on it 'aight?)

DREAM THEATER

Pro Crastinator
    Dragon MDX

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I was a Spy guy forever, but I'm pretty stoked on the Dragon stuff these days. Performance and fit is debatable between the two as they're so close, but the Dragons are much easier on the ol' wallet.

www.Go-Ride.com
    866-467-4334

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Spy Goggles all the way. No fog and super durable. Try to get the Alloy model too. They are very well made and will last a long time.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Addidas Yodai, best goggle ever made IMO. These things never fog. The size isn't too huge in my helmet, and not as much loss of peripheral vision that I have noticed with other goggles. And the bonus is they come in orange! I really like the addidas lenses too, functional and come in lots of different tints.

Goggles I've had in the past:
    Spy(forgot model): mid of the range price wise, I hated them.
    Oakly O frames: fogged up like a mother in no time.
    Brief experience with last years rockgardn stuff, didnít like it too much.

Only downside to the addidas is the price tag, which sits at about $90. I only got them because they cost me 22 bucks used.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker

Only downside to the addidas is the price tag, which sits at about $90. I only got them because they cost me 22 bucks used.

$90=no way
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

J_B
    3056-BigGameHunter
    Primarily Oakleys and my back ups are Spys. $90 for a pair of goggles? I'm out on that.
    PipeHittersUnion

e.thirteen,EVOMO,IntenseCycles,Maxxis,ODI,SDG,661

dnt b a clwn thro it down

Oakleys for me

I got these ones right here...
    Attached Images Attached Images

your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop
    is that real carbon fiber? looks real. gotta pay extra for the carbon frames?

surf-ride-repeat

I was runnin' Oakley O's... just lost 'em last ride.. had 'em hitched up on my helmet because they kept fogging up, than I crashed and spaced them out up on the trail, and there was no way in hell I was pushing back up 3 miles for those foggy pieces of crappy crap... some deer has some pimped out lenses in Fall Creek right now, though, until he gets sick of 'em fogging up, too.

I'd spend 90$ for the ADIDAS if they didn't fog... I totally would... and I think that comes WITH clear lenses and tinted, so you can switch 'em out...right?

that would be cool.

I need a good set, with all the crappy ones I've got that fog up real bad, and than all the one's I've lost because they were cheap and hot and crappy..
    I could have bought like 4 sets of those ADIDAS dealies...

shat!

I could have said crappy more than eighty times in this post, too... meh.

No idea if its real carbon fibre or not... all I know is they were $45. and they looked hella cool (to me)

When I rode mx I had the Smith Warp goggles. Never had any problems with those. so if these things are crappy I will probably get the Smiths.

Glad to Be Alive
    No idea if its real carbon fibre or not... all I know is they were $45. and they looked hella cool (to me)
    where did you get them??
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    where did you get them??
    Newburry Park Bicycle store.. the one you can see from the freeway going to Ventura.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by pdirt
    I was runnin' Oakley O's... just lost 'em last ride.. had 'em hitched up on my helmet because they kept fogging up, than I crashed and spaced them out up on the trail, and there was no way in hell I was pushing back up 3 miles for those foggy pieces of crappy crap... some deer has some pimped out lenses in Fall Creek right now, though, until he gets sick of 'em fogging up, too.

I'd spend 90$ for the ADIDAS if they didn't fog... I totally would... and I think that comes WITH clear lenses and tinted, so you can switch 'em out...right?

that would be cool.

I need a good set, with all the crappy ones I've got that fog up real bad, and than all the one's I've lost because they were cheap and hot and crappy..
    I could have bought like 4 sets of those ADIDAS dealies...

shat!

I could have said crappy more than eighty times in this post, too... meh.
    That was my real problem with the O frames I had. The fogging was really bad. If you want, on Tuesday I'll write you some more info on the Addidas. I'm gonna be doing some long rides over the weekend, so we'll see if I have more to say.

Glad to Be Alive
    Newburry Park Bicycle store.. the one you can see from the freeway going to Ventura.
    should check out TRE (the racers edge) on Tapo across from the car wash...large, huge selection of googs

WWT
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Oakleys

Oakleys all the way...

surf-ride-repeat
    That was my real problem with the O frames I had. The fogging was really bad. If you want, on Tuesday I'll write you some more info on the Addidas. I'm gonna be doing some long rides over the weekend, so we'll see if I have more to say.

Sweet, that would rule!

Glad to Be Alive
    I use to wear sunglasses all the time I rode and I was constantly wiping the sweat off the glasses and fogging them up. If you know me...I sweat like a fat bastard, but more. I bought some Scotts 2 years ago for about $40.00 and they are the best investment ever.
    I got the kind that are anti-sweating. The only problem I have had is accidently ripping the sides when changing lenses bright to dark. I just used a little glue on them and all was good.

I would recommend the Scotts anti-sweat. They don't fog up at all and they keep the seat out of my eyes.

surf-ride-repeat
    I use to wear sunglasses all the time I rode and I was constantly wiping the sweat off the glasses and fogging them up. If you know me...I sweat like a fat bastard, but more. I bought some Scotts 2 years ago for about $40.00 and they are the best investment ever.
    I got the kind that are anti-sweating. The only problem I have had is accidently ripping the sides when changing lenses bright to dark. I just used a little glue on them and all was good.

I would recommend the Scotts anti-sweat. They don't fog up at all and they keep the seat out of my eyes.

Scotts huh? Snowboard goggles? Right?

Glad to Be Alive
    Scotts huh? Snowboard goggles? Right?
    I don't know.....I bought them at an MX shop. Maybe they make them for motocross too.

surf-ride-repeat
    I don't know.....I bought them at an MX shop. Maybe they make them for motocross too.

MX shop, cool that makes sense.. I'll go check one out and see waht the dealio be.

Glad to Be Alive
    MX shop, cool that makes sense.. I'll go check one out and see waht the dealio be.
    also go to honda, yamaha, suzucki dealers they all have parts departments that sell a lot stuff you can use for mountain biking

Rocket Scientist
    I use these: Smith Fuel TI = SICK!

Team Sanchez
    I won some spys 3 years ago at Big Bear, and they have been great. So all you whiggas using clear lenses or what? I know that when I'm racing, clear is the only way for Big Bear with all the trees, and weird shadows.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    I won some spys 3 years ago at Big Bear, and they have been great. So all you whiggas using clear lenses or what? I know that when I'm racing, clear is the only way for Big Bear with all the trees, and weird shadows.
    I run the yellow lenses...they help a lot with shadows. I hear the rose lenses are good for shadows too.

surf-ride-repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Yep, I run clears almost always....

same reason shadows , etc.. can f ya up...

I carry sunglasses in my back pack for the ride back up the lift ...

contrary to popular opinion, the sun DOES come out here for a few weeks a year, so...

meh.

Glad to Be Alive
    PDirt........ what is you tentative schedule for coming down this way???

I wear Arnettes w/ a clear lens, an older pair I retired from snowboarding. Nicely ventilated, rarely fogs.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    my choice...

ROCKGARDN GDX Goggles
    With either clear, Chrome Mirror or Amber lenses.

surf-ride-repeat
    PDirt........ what is you tentative schedule for coming down this way???
    Prolly lat Feb or March I can bring a bike with me for a few days... maybe... damnit...

I wish I could say for certain, it's for work, so I have to swing it on the DL from my wife and my job...

you know...

she'll be pissed if I say I am staying for x days for work when I'm really riding for 2 of those days, and the job will bum out , too...so... ya know.

...but I'm thinkin' neither of them has to know, really, right?

I mean the term 'work' is relative...

I'd say dirt jumping is some hard ass work

Feel me?

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    my choice...

ROCKGARDN GDX Goggles
    With either clear, Chrome Mirror or Amber lenses.
    Ewww...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Sweet, that would rule!
    No problem. I'm gonna be doing some long rides this weekend and Monday, so I'll see if I can fog these suckers up.

mtbr member

utopia

Ewww...
    Yeah I agree total oakley o frame ripoff. I had some white cammo Bubba Stewart's last season and they were cool, I didn't notice much fogging but they fit me a lot better then Sherpa's spys. It looks like ill be riding these next year, I have a pair on order so I don't have any riding on them but ill let you guys know how they work out. I think they look really sweet.

650 yay area
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    Yeah I agree total oakley o frame ripoff. I had some white cammo Bubba Stewart's last season and they were cool, I didn't notice much fogging but they fit me a lot better then Sherpa's spys. It looks like ill be riding these next year, I have a pair on order so I don't have any riding on them but ill let you guys know how they work out. I think they look really sweet.
    TRICKED OUT SUGE KNIGHT STATUS FACTOR OF FIVE ON DEM LOOKAZ

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Spy Alloy MX...with a silver reflective lense for when im feeling self conscious and dont want people to see my face...

there good but dont fit inside Troy Lee helmets that well...the top and bottem corners are a bit wide etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biker3
    Yeah I agree total oakley o frame ripoff.
    sorry playa, but your way off. Granted they don't have the bling factor of wearing Carmichael or Bubba signature goggles, but hey I prefer to pay for goggles, not endorsements.

check the o-frame, check the difference.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Spy Alloy MX all the way! I've tried a few others, like Oakley and Smith, and I feel like the Spy Alloy MX are t!ts. Very little fogging, they have teh post for the tear offs, and the lenses are very easy to change. I haven't tried Dragon or Adidas yet.

In the Kitchen
    Anyone wear OTG (Over the Glasses) goggles?
    Team Elevate Cycles - www.elevatecycles.com
    SMBA Member - www.saratogamtb.org
    Umphrey's McGee - www.umphreys.com

Flyin Canine
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    I wear Arnettes w/ a clear lens, an older pair I retired from snowboarding. Nicely ventilated, rarely fogs.
    Those arnette's are cool because you can find replacement lenses pretty cheap. I just picked up two new rose and one yellow at mel cottons sporting goods in san jose for about $8 each on sale. I usually only use them for snowboarding though because I just get way too hot bike riding to wear goggles.

Glad to Be Alive
    the Scotts every day price is 8 bucks

Kill that $hit!

Another question on goggles

There is such a HUGE price range of them. Can anyone tell me what the major differences are for the price?

Loves His Sunday

Voltage

Scott Voltage R. No Fog. Awesome Looking. Really Comfortable.

Youngbuck
    I dont where goggles for any riding.Are they realy necassary for FR?I thouhgt more for DH.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

surf-ride-repeat
    So what up KB?

You likey or what?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    I dont where goggles for any riding.Are they realy necassary for FR?I thouhgt more for DH.
    they keep the sweat away from the eyes

I wanna talk to Samson!
    So what up KB?

You likey or what?
    The extensive testing I planned on doing never went down, weaksauce, I know. However I did mow the lawn in them in 70+ degrees for about 2 hours and they didn't fog. Sorry for the lameness factor of 10. I'll actually ride them this weekend, didn't get to last because of the trail conditions.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

surf-ride-repeat
    The extensive testing I planned on doing never went down, weaksauce, I know. However I did mow the lawn in them in 70+ degrees for about 2 hours and they didn't fog. Sorry for the lameness factor of 10. I'll actually ride them this weekend, didn't get to last because of the trail conditions.

Did you really do that? Mow your lawn with them on?

If so, I elect you, KB, King Lawnmower Pimp of the Week.

...and that's full spice sauce fo shanizzle.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Did you really do that? Mow your lawn with them on?

If so, I elect you, KB, King Lawnmower Pimp of the Week.

...and that's full spice sauce fo shanizzle.
    Word. I will gladly accept you nomination for King Lawnmower Pimp of teh Week. I hit the streetz in style, my eyes don't appreciate that grass getting up in themselves. Hella BayCali.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

New School
    Anon Figments In Electric Green! Cha Ching
    ALGIO E OLIO!

650 yay area
    g-unit carbons rocked by my boy biker3, utopia eyewear till i die

surf-ride-repeat
    Word. I will gladly accept you nomination for King Lawnmower Pimp of teh Week. I hit the streetz in style, my eyes don't appreciate that grass getting up in themselves. Hella BayCali.

That's frickin awesome, man.