Goggle Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goggle Question

N* Bomber Crew

Goggle Question

I'm looking to get really nice new goggles for Downhill but I am wondering if the tinted lenses make a difference. They certainly look cool, but my question is this: How much do they affect your vision?

Im trying to get one that doesn't hinder my perspective to lighting..but blocks out glare....I don't want to ride like I have sunglasses on...I want there to be no tint...but block out glare.....if possible.

Thanks.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

kona-tize me captain
    on my old set of goggles i had blue tinted lense, i totally disliked them, it made everything to dark and out of perspective to me. so instead i picked up some clear lenses and i love them more than anything. i will admit the new tinted lenses have a bling bling factor maybe ill try another pair since mine were very old and cheap. it could have just been the lense. tints dont matter so much to me though since i mostly trride in heavily wooded areas. if your gonna get some goggles heres a very nice pair, i wish i had the money for
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    for my first DH race i used my ski goggles and they were tinted. and i hated them, they were very cheep and i could not c the course and rode off the course crached and they broke. so now i just use my googles that came w/ my paintball mask, they r clear and very strong and durable. i have crached many times w/ them and they have literaly saved me from havin my eye poked out by a stick. so my 2 cents is to just use paintball goggles

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I prefer rose, brown or gold lenses designed for flat light conditions. Work well in mixed light and shadow without too much glare in the sun or being to dark in the shade. Usually have a clear lens around just in case.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

pwn3rator
    i can't use anything but clear lenses and i only recomend clear lenses...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

N* Bomber Crew
    I don't like using ski goggles (too dark). I am wondering if I should get "iridium" or gold goggles? I want to block out glare...have bling factor...but be able to see when I come in and out of shadows in wooded areas. Is gold what I am after?

Disco-Superfly
    I use oakley O-frame snow goggles, with orangeish/ yellow lense, its amazing!
    You can see stuff alot brighter/ easier, and yet the sun doesnt seem so bright... weird how it works...
    Just looking through them at a store or something is sweet, riding with them even better...
    I ride the MX bike with them too.... love em, even in the dark
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    oakley's website gives you a run down on the different lense colours and how they work etc. personally i use clear and mirror reflective lenses, depending on the lighting conditions. but for an all round lense i would reccomend an iridium lense like fire, with good light transmission that can also be used in sunny conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    oakley's website gives you a run down on the different lense colours and how they work etc. personally i use clear and mirror reflective lenses, depending on the lighting conditions. but for an all round lense i would reccomend an iridium lense like fire, with good light transmission that can also be used in sunny conditions.
    The web sites usually tell you how much "visual light" transmission the lens allows. The lower the percentage, the darker the tint. less than ~50% and you may have trouble moving between full sun and full shade.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The web sites usually tell you how much "visual light" transmission the lens allows. The lower the percentage, the darker the tint. less than ~50% and you may have trouble moving between full sun and full shade.
    cheers brah' but i allready knew that.

pwn3rator
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    I don't like using ski goggles (too dark). I am wondering if I should get "iridium" or gold goggles? I want to block out glare...have bling factor...but be able to see when I come in and out of shadows in wooded areas. Is gold what I am after?
    amber lenses will rid you of shadows but then it's really scary to ride really rockey trails because you can't tell how big the rocks are...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Glad to Be Alive
    here you go......

very bright light conditions wear blue or perferably black

moderate to low light (going thru trees and stuff) use rose or yellow (my favorite) lenses
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    Ok last question: Are they worth paying for?

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Ok last question: Are they worth paying for?
    very much so....I like them because the dust is ioff my eyes and so is the sweat....get the ones that are made foe sweat (cost extra)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    the goggles are worth the money, but im nore sure about the dam lenses. my mirror lense cost more than my dam goggles. but the oakley ones are cheaper.

i run SPY Alloy MX.

ride hard take risks
    Blue lens, no fog spray on the inside, Moose dust off on the outside.

Innovate or die!
    DO NOT GET MIRRORED LENSES

I ran mirrored adidas LST Silver lenses (insanely expensive) and scratched them up very fast at whistler.

I then bought a clear lens and wondered why i ever would use something else.

Glare is a bunch of BS. Do you ever ride around and go, oh crap i cant see because of the sun? Yes amber/LST lenses help mellow that out a tad, but they are so expensive and so easy to scratch that they are not worth it.

Dont take my opinion, look at all the WC pros--- 75% of the time, even on clear days they are running clear lenses.

Lol kyle u know who i am too.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by j6105

Lol kyle u know who i am too.
    Yeah Baxter..........................

I think I'm sticking with clear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Orange/gold or rose are the best all-around colors for mixed sun/shadow riding. Get some moto goggles (I run Scott High Voltages) and get a couple of different lenses and try it out -- lenses are only $6 each, and most good moto goggles are $30-40. Avoid the shiny coatings.

Members who have read this thread: 0