Glory 2010 sizing for 6' / 184cm rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Glory 2010 sizing for 6' / 184cm rider

I am about to order a 2010 Glory (to be shipped from abroad, so nothing available to try out, and not possible to exchange if wrong size)
    My height is 6' or 184 cm.

I'm stuck deciding on the frame size M 17" or L 17.5"
    Reason is, Giant increased size of the 2010 M frame top tube size significantly to 23.8"

Currently I ride a ReignX size M (18") which has a top tube of 23.2" (less than the TT of the Glory M), and it feels like a good fit. Of course the seat angle for the Glory is much slacker, so that would affect effective TT length right?

I am very concerned about getting a bike too big.

Can anyone give me some advice or experience to share here?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    this is a tricky one. It all comes down to rider preference on a dh bike. I am 5'9" and rode a medium and thought the toptube was too short for my tastes (with a 50mm stem), but the large was huge! so I didnt buy a glory for this season. go figure right?

Also, I just didnt really like the geometry period. For my height, I felt like the bike (the medium) was really twitchy in front of me but yet had alot of bike behind me. but it was just my impression and to each their own.

If you are 6', I would say get a large, but if you like a more flickable, nimble bike under you, then you should prob get a medium and run a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @zdubyadubya
    Yes, I am right on the tricky borderline I think.
    For the Medium you had, was that a 2009 or a 2010? The 2010 has 1.5" longer top tube than the 2009 size M, and I guess that is why it is not a clear cut "go for L" for me.
    I've seen in other forums on the same topic that the Glory is "a big frame", and other riders of 6' using M's.

Hmmmmmm..... :-)

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and have the medium 2010 Glory. I think it fits pretty good, but I like smaller bikes.

sixsixtysix
    My LBS has a medium Glory hanging in the shop, and has had a couple Faith's come through which is similar in sizing. Being 6'2", the medium Faith felt really compact in the cockpit, but it would be ridable for someone who likes a smaller feel to the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    at 6' 2" I would say its a more obvious choice. But at 6' (actually 5 11 without shoes) I am thinking size M with a 70mm stem, given the Glory M's extended top tube.

But I am still taking votes and opinions!

I live and ride in South East Asia, and the LBSs here don't carry stock of high end DH bikes, so I have to order the right size. Nothing to try out to know for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Paul:

the bike I rode was a 2010 glory. hence why i figured the info would be relevent to your decision.

i am probably going to agree with the others. even though the cockpit is smallish, the large will prob be too big. run a longer stem and you should be good.

plus, since you are taller than I am, your longer arms may put you further over the rear wheel than I was and help with my other issue with the bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm 6'3" and have rode a 20" Faith which wasn't bad but now I have medium DH frame.

I was always told to go smaller when in doubt so you could throw the bike around. It's never going uphill so nothing has to be precise in fit.

Watch the Glory. I saw alot of people walking down the mountain with their Glorys in two last year. Maybe it was the park not the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @homeless
    What's your concern about the Glory? Only concern I heard was about had angle being not too slack at 65.5.
    @zdubya
    Thanks for the clarification. I am tending to agree on the size M, given its a DH bike, and pointing down most of the time. It should be less size sensitive than a XC/AM bike, and longer arms will definitely help with getting the butt over the rear wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Paul I was just saying that I saw alot of Glorys breaking at the head tube last year at Whistler Bike park. I seem to always see some one walking with two pieces of their Glory while I was riding or hanging out in the Village. This did take place in Whistler so maybe it's just the location.

I'm sorry if my info on sizing wasn't specfic to the Glory. I was always told on any DH bike to go smaller when in doubt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    @homelessJunkie
    Wow that's interesting. I always thought Giants had a reputation of strength, esp the older 2007-9 model which is a heavily built frame.The 2010 has lost 25% weight.
    Thankfully they have lifetime warranty on frames I understand.
    I've never ridden in Whistler, as I like in Asia, but from what I know it is a frame breaker!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Homeless junkie - where's the photo's? I have never once heard of a 2010 Glory breaking, let alone severing the headtube. I would like to see it if it's happening cause I ride mine very hard and am not the smoothest. That is a massive failure and not something that should be mentioned lightly. Unless the rider is really messing up big time it just shouldn't be possible if the frame is built right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

I'm 5'11

And road a M for 07 08 09, I ran a 50 mm stem with 29'' bars. Go smaller, it is easier to ride and turn. The bars helped make the top tube longer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Photos!?!.... I never took any pictures. Never thought I'ld need them for evidence LOL. Look seriously I made the comment because that's what I saw.

I didn't say 2010 I didn't say any year. So I did some research and The bike I kept seeing was the 2008 and 2009 Giant Glory DH. Kinda of strange two different years same DH model Looks like the '10 alot different so maybe you won't have to worry.

mtbr member
    '2010 Glory breaking" with a life time warrenty who cares

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulHaines
    @homelessJunkie
    Wow that's interesting. I always thought Giants had a reputation of strength, esp the older 2007-9 model which is a heavily built frame.The 2010 has lost 25% weight.
    Thankfully they have lifetime warranty on frames I understand.
    I've never ridden in Whistler, as I like in Asia, but from what I know it is a frame breaker!
    I understand the glory has a 1 to 5 yr warranty, not sure

Tire Geek O_o
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    '2010 Glory breaking" with a life time warrenty who cares
    well riding really fast and frame snapping under you can actually be a huge problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulHaines
    I am about to order a 2010 Glory (to be shipped from abroad, so nothing available to try out, and not possible to exchange if wrong size)
    My height is 6' or 184 cm.

I'm stuck deciding on the frame size M 17" or L 17.5"
    Reason is, Giant increased size of the 2010 M frame top tube size significantly to 23.8"

Currently I ride a ReignX size M (18") which has a top tube of 23.2" (less than the TT of the Glory M), and it feels like a good fit. Of course the seat angle for the Glory is much slacker, so that would affect effective TT length right?

I am very concerned about getting a bike too big.

Can anyone give me some advice or experience to share here?
    TT length doesn't really have any meaning on DH bikes since the seatpost is always down. The 2009 Glory had a seat angle of 69 while the 2010 has 59. That what makes the difference of the TT length. The measurment which should concern you is the 'reach', look for example in the transition bike site and you'll see the meaning of it. The problem is that most manufactures don't publish it.

Tire Geek O_o
    what do you mean??

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

i'll try to explain again

Quote Originally Posted by cesalec
    what do you mean??
    ETT is horizontall line measured from the middle of the HT to the point it reaches the seatpost. This will determine, more or less, the length when seating on the saddle to the handlebar (of course the stem length should also be considered but this one is easy to replace if needed). Since on DH bike the seatpost is always down and the rider always stands on the paddles this length is not relevant. the relevant length is the one of the horizontal line measured from the middle of the HT till it reaches an imaginary vertical line which starts from the BB and go up. This measurement is called 'reach'. For example the Glory 2009 and 2010 may have the same 'reach', but since the 2010 has an extream ST angle of 59 degrees comparing to the 69 of the 2009 model, the ETT of the 2010 will be significantly longer cause the seat post is much more laid back. Of course, this can't be compared to an ETT of AM bike such as the reignX which probably has ST angle of 70-73. And if it's still not clear after this long explanation then i'll refer you again to the transition bikes site. One diagram is better than 1000 words...

mtbr member
    REACH

I think this is the most important measurement there is on any bike... at 6'2" and have long legs its tuff to find good fitting bikes and every sales person talks about longer stems and layback posts.

Not that relevant on a DH bike but a layback posts can be used to get you the correct pedal position not make the cockpit larger (my knees confirmed it)

The stem length can be used to make a bike feel larger or smaller but will drastically change the way the bike climbs, descends and handles, again not all that relevant standing and hanging off the back of a DH bike (we want short 40mm-60mm or so).

We just need a good reach length and use the stems/posts to fine tune to suit.... shocked at how many bike shops wanted to slap a layback post and long stem on my trail/AM bikes without ever taking single measurement. (end rant)

Quote Originally Posted by uvsh
    ETT is horizontall line measured from the middle of the HT to the point it reaches the seatpost. This will determine, more or less, the length when seating on the saddle to the handlebar (of course the stem length should also be considered but this one is easy to replace if needed). Since on DH bike the seatpost is always down and the rider always stands on the paddles this length is not relevant. the relevant length is the one of the horizontal line measured from the middle of the HT till it reaches an imaginary vertical line which starts from the BB and go up. This measurement is called 'reach'. For example the Glory 2009 and 2010 may have the same 'reach', but since the 2010 has an extream ST angle of 59 degrees comparing to the 69 of the 2009 model, the ETT of the 2010 will be significantly longer cause the seat post is much more laid back. Of course, this can't be compared to an ETT of AM bike such as the reignX which probably has ST angle of 70-73. And if it's still not clear after this long explanation then i'll refer you again to the transition bikes site. One diagram is better than 1000 words...

Gives me PEACE of mine
    I have an 2008 glory. Im 5'8'' had a small till I just had the frame crack at the seat stay. Always felt cramped up in the cockpit. Giant replaced it with a med. Today was the first time I road it and It feels so much better now. Mine had a sticker on it that listed the heights for the bike.(5'8"-5'11') med. I see the 2010 has a different st angle. So my opinion is go find one no matter how far and ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cesalec
    well riding really fast and frame snapping under you can actually be a huge problem

The 2010 Glory 0 frames have been out roughly the same lenght of time as Intense's 951 frames. I have seen three pictures of broken 951 frames and have yet to see the 2010 frame broken. I am not worried.

Members who have read this thread: 0