Giro Xen Who has used it- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Giro Xen Who has used it

I was wondering if this helmet is worth the 90 dollars. I cracked my last helmet and I was looking into skate helmets but I want more ventalation for riding cross country and this looks like the perfect helmet. I am wondering what you guys think of it.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/129...ain-Helmet.htm

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I like mine allot. Drooled over them since they came out and finally got on on sale at Supergo for cheap. The only issue I've personally had with mine is that it doesn't fit quite like my older Giro, the in-molds are very different from their other helmets and the Xen fits a bit tighter and more round. Whereas in my experience the old standard Giro XC helmets were more egg shaped and feel like they're bigger. Another thing to consider is the Xen doesn't breathe as well as a normal XC helmet would usually at this price, but it's still allot better than a BMX helmet. IMO, do it.....do it.

Jan 2004

looks alright. never used it but seems to suit your needs... looks like it offers protection of a drit lid with the xc look..... $90 is an ok price go for it

Slowest Rider

Used Giro Xen for 8 months now

I'd been looking for a helmet for months that would replace my Bell helmet that was getting too many years on it. I must have spent hours in a dozen bike shops over the months trying every helmet made and never liked them. So once I found the Giro Xen fit my needs, I bought it immediately, even though it cost $150 at the bike shop.

Positives
    My issue is that I wanted a good visor to keep the sun out my eyes that could also be tilted up and down depending on sun position and what I was doing. Most helmets today use a small, almost fake mini-visor that allows the sun to get into my eyes, especially from slight angles to the side. This sun glare is especially annoying and even dangerous when the sun is nearer the horizion.

The Xen's visor is a full and effective size. It also can be tilted up and down like on my old Bell. The visor is also is the same color as the helmet so it looks very sweet. The Xen's translucent plastic colors are all very pleasing and better than other helmets, so overall the helmet is beautiful, if that matters to the rock or tree it hits. (Early December, it saved my noggin on a tree branch I didn't duck in time. Not even a dent in the helmet. The doctor ordered MRIs that show no brain damage, but my sprained neck has been hurting for three months now.)

In terms of cooling, the Xen is more than adequate with zillions of giant holes. I think there's more hole than helmet area-wise. I use it when climbing 1000's of feet in 95+ degree heat in the exposed hills and never felt like my head was too hot. In fact I use a skull cap because it has too much ventilation and sweating, and for fit (more on that later).

The rear head coverage is good with the helmet wrapping down around the back. The strap adjustment capability is effective and simple. The straps are molded into the casing, so they don't slip around. (But I haven't tried to clean the straps yet either. I guess I'd have to rinse them off in a sink?)

Negatives
    There's only two negatives (that are related) mentioned by other owners in the reviews I've seen: Sizing and sweat dripping.

First on size: The Xen only comes in three sizes, Small, Medium and Large, whereas others have up to four sizes (Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large). The Bell/Giro helmet sizes also felt slightly larger than other manufacturers. I'm particularly unlucky as I tend to have a head slightly below a Large and use a little extra padding to fit, so their Large was even more oversized for me. When I tried the two sizes in the bike shop, the Large indeed felt a little too big, but the Medium was definitely too small, so I figured I'd use the extra padding to fit as usual on other helmets. This is where I went wrong. I found they only had one set of thin Coolmax pads included. From an email reference of another poster here, I contacted Giro and asked for thicker pads for this helment. Giro was responsive, but they said thicker pads don't exist. Nevertheless, they sent me out an extra set of the thin CoolMax pads so I could double up if I needed. As such, the helmet is a little too loose and I couldn't get the straps to quite tighten the helmet properly.

Second Problem: On my first ride on a hot sunny day, I very quickly (within a few minutes) started getting sweat dripping into my eyes, which caused burning eyes with visibility and safety problems. I never had this with my previous Bell helmet. (Incidentally Giro is a owned by Bell and who I contacted to get pads.) It dawned on me that the Coolmax pads were too thin and not soaking up my sweat like the Bell did. So sweat was pouring down into my eyes. I was hoping to get thicker pads to solve both sizing and pad issues together, but as mentioned, there was only one size (thin) pads available. I note the web site you quote now lists "fitting" pads, so maybe Giro has got their act together. After all, if they offer a reduced number of size helmets, they should at least offer some better adjustment in the pads like other manufacturers with more helmet sizes to assure better initial adjustment! I'll contact Giro again and see if they've got different size and thicker pads now.

My Solution to My Problems
    I put a brick into the helmet and tossed it through Giro's window! No wait, that's what I wanted to do for a while. Here's what finally solved my problem.

I went to several bike shops (again) looking for pad material to make thicker pads on my own for the helmet, which I otherwise loved. One shop suggested I just try a skull cap. The slight extra volume would help the fit for me as well. It would also help soak up sweat and wick it out the back. For around $10, I bought a nice thin (Pedros) skull cap. It worked like a charm in all respects. I no longer got sweat in my eyes and the helmet fit better. (It also helps sunburn through the big helmet holes and less helmet head with my thick hair.) I also don't feel my head any hotter with the skull cap. I think the skull cap helps distribute the sweat and maybe even improve cooling. So I'm very happy with the Giro Xen now.

Hope this more than answers your question.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 03-08-2005 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Corrected error on helmet size
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Allright thanks I will be ordering one in blue tomorrow

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    I'd been looking for a helmet for months that would replace my Bell helmet that was getting too many years on it. I must have spent hours in a dozen bike shops over the months trying every helmet made and never liked them. So once I found the Giro Xen fit my needs, I bought it immediately, even though it cost $150 at the bike shop.

Positives
    My issue is that I wanted a good visor to keep the sun out my eyes that could also be tilted up and down depending on sun positon and what I was doing. Most helmets today use a small, almost fake mini-visor that allows the sun to get into my eyes, especially from slight angles to the side. This sun glare is especially annoying and even dangerous when the sun is nearer the horizion.

The Xen's visor is a full and effective size. It also can be tilted like on my old Bell. The visor is also is the same color as the helment so it looks very sweet. The Xen's translucent plastic colors are all very pleasing and better than other helmets, so overall the helmet is beautiful, if that matters to the rock or tree it hits.

In terms of cooling, the Xen is more than adequate with zillions of giant holes. I think there's more hole than helmet area-wise. I use it when climbing 1000's of feet in 95+ degree heat in the exposed hills and never felt like my head was too hot. In fact I use a skull cap because it has too much ventilation and sweating, and for fit (more on that later).

The rear head coverage is good with the helmet wrapping down around the back. The strap adjustment capability is effective and simple. The straps are molded into the casing, so they don't slip around. (But I haven't tried to clean the straps yet either. I guess I'd have to rinse them off in a sink?)

Negatives
    There's only two negatives (that are related) mentioned by other owners in the reviews I've seen: Sizing and sweat dripping.

First on size: The Xen comes in three sizes Small, Medium and Large, whereas others have up to four sizes (Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large). As a practical matter, the Gen Medium is what most helmets call Small and Medium, and the Gen Large is between what most helmets call Large and Extra Large.
    I'm particularly unlucky as I tend to have a head slightly below a Large and use a little extra padding to fit, so their Large was even more oversized for me. When I tried the two sizes in the bike shop, the Large indeed felt a little too big, but the Medium was definitely too small, so I figured I'd use the extra padding to fit as usual on other helmets. This is where I went wrong. I found they only had one set of thin Coolmax pads included. From an email reference of another poster here, I contacted Giro and asked for thicker pads for this helment. Giro was responsive, but they said thicker pads don't exist. Nevertheless, they sent me out an extra set of the thin CoolMax pads so I could double up if I needed. As such, the helmet is a little too loose and I couldn't get the straps to quite tighten the helmet properly.

Second Problem: On my first ride on a hot sunny day, I very quickly (within a few minutes) started getting sweat dripping into my eyes, which caused burning eyes with visibility and safety problems. I never had this with my previous Bell helmet. (Incidentally Giro is a owned by Bell and who I contacted to get pads.) It dawned on me that the Coolmax pads were too thin and not soaking up my sweat like the Bell did. So it was pouring down into my eyes. I was hoping to get thicker pads to solve both sizing and pad issues together, but as mentioned, there was only one size (thin) pads available. I note the web site you quote now lists "fitting" pads, so maybe Giro has got their act together. After all, if they offer a reduced number of size helmets, they should at least offer some better adjustment in the pads like other manufacturers with more helmet sizes to assure better initial adjustment! I'll contact Giro again and see if they've got different size and thicker pads now.

My Solution to My Problems
    I put a brick into the helmet and tossed it through Giro's window! No wait, that's what I wanted to do for a while. Here's what finally solved my problem.

I went to several bike shops (again) looking for pad material to make thicker pads on my own for the helmet, which I otherwise loved. One shop suggested I just try a skull cap. The slight extra volume would help the fit for me as well. It would also help soak up sweat and wick it out the back. For around $10, I bought a nice thin (Pedros?) skull cap. It worked like a charm in all respects. I no longer got sweat in my eyes and the helmet fit better. (It also helps sunburn through the big helmet holes and less helmet head with my thick hair.) I also don't feel my head any hotter with the skull cap. I think the skull cap helps distribute the sweat and maybe even improve cooling. So I'm very happy with the Giro Xen now.

Hope this more than answers your question.
    I edited your sizing claim, the Xen actually comes in a 3 sizes. Of course this still doesn't sound like it would have made a difference in your case. I also wanted to say that I too have had the same sweat in the eyes problem, thanks for the tip on trying a skull cap.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    I edited your sizing claim, the Xen actually comes in a 3 sizes. Of course this still doesn't sound like it would have made a difference in your case. I also wanted to say that I too have had the same sweat in the eyes problem, thanks for the tip on trying a skull cap.
    It truly is one of the best helmets out ther. fits sooo well

Jun 2004
    Im rockin a Xen, and have been for about 6 months. Its light weight, cool, and has alot more coverage than a XC lid. Go for it...

Slowest Rider

Corrections

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Thanks for the correction on sizing. I heard wrong and made the mistake of propagating the mistake.

To verify my earlier test experience with the Giro Xen being slightly larger than other brands, I tried checking on the size and from what I can find on the web, the Bells and Giros (same company) all seem to be about the same size, with Large being 23.25" to 24.75". But the few other brands I can find on the web (Bell/Giro seems to have most all the market these days!) indicate the Large is about 1 cm or 1/2" smaller for the other manufacturers. So the Giros are indeed bigger helmets.

It could also be that the Giro Xen feels bigger because of the extra width (more round) you mentioned. I also noticed this before but forgot to mention it. The straps also come from within the middle of the shell on the side, not the inside. So the straps actually stand away from my cheek by a bigger distance than other helmets, and the Xen has a little sideways play. There's perhaps a little advantage in that the strap doesn't dig into my cheeks.

The slight increase in sizing hit me particularly bad because I happen to fall slightly below the Large size. So this problem is likely unique to me. But I still fault Giro for not providing thicker sizing pads to adjust like others do.

I want to make it clear that, in all, I love this Giro Xen helmet and highly recommend it. I had many bigger issues with other helmets, and only these correctable issues with the Xen.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

I Just Ride....

Good job!

I have it and I LOVE IT!
    It is by far the most comforatble helmet I have ever had.
    $90 is great place considering it retails for 150 or so.
    Get It and you won't regret it!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Xtremely Moderate
    I got one. I wear it and it doesn't bother me..............so it must be good.
    "Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

Aug 2004
    I looked at them but didn't like the way they fit, which was a major disappointment. I tried this model however (The Giro Semi) , and love it. It fits like my old skate lid, but looks better, and at normal price, is still way cheaper than the Xen. I wouldn't buy the Xen without having tried one on if I were you. Plus you'll look way tougher in "stealth black"

http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...604&referpage=

mtbr member

Sizing

I have one more question my head measured out to be 23.25 and that is right between medium and large. now I have a lot of hair now and cant decide which size to get. I am 19 so dont think my head will grow anymore. what do you peeps think who own it

Thanks

mtbr remember
    I've got a silver one, and when I got it about a year and a half ago, I paid around $120 which I thought was a good deal, $90 is even better! I have no beef w/ mine, fit's good, ventilates good, and doesn't look quite as cheezy as most others.
    I'm looking at picking up a good full-face helmet for this year though, maybe a TLD or something.
    as for the hair thing, that actually makes a huge difference in the fit of your helmet/hats. I've got super long/thick hair right now and all my stuff fits tight, but I've had long hair before and cut it real short for the summer and everything will fit very loose, so I might need to check out that skull cap tip.
    Schralp it Heavy.