giant reign- Mtbr.com

Thread: giant reign

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

giant reign

giant reign for freeride?
    i currently have my Nicolai bass. i use it for freeride/light downhill. noting more than 7 foot drops to flat. The Nicolai is great but has a major design flaw which means you need to run a 24" wheel on the rear. This isnt something i want to do so i want a new frame. Im looking at getting an older giant reign. I don't like the shape of the new one and want to get one cheap so an 2005 / 06 / 07 is what i'm looking at. will these take the abuse i am likely to throw at it? if someone ownes one or has owned one before then can you tell me a bit about it?

thanks
    2003 nicolai bass

Glad to Be Alive
    localguy is smooth and just tears it up on a reign...it will be great
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Here's my 05 Reign 3, my XC/AM ride since it's built pretty light. so far its a very good bike and never had an issue with it!
    100_2588.JPG

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjacko123
    giant reign for freeride?
    i currently have my Nicolai bass. i use it for freeride/light downhill. noting more than 7 foot drops to flat. The Nicolai is great but has a major design flaw which means you need to run a 24" wheel on the rear. This isnt something i want to do so i want a new frame. Im looking at getting an older giant reign. I don't like the shape of the new one and want to get one cheap so an 2005 / 06 / 07 is what i'm looking at. will these take the abuse i am likely to throw at it? if someone ownes one or has owned one before then can you tell me a bit about it?

thanks
    have you considered a x1? i have one that just rips.

StraightOuttaCompton
    ya, the reign wont handle 7 foot drops to flat. to trannys itll be fine though
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    ya, the reign wont handle 7 foot drops to flat. to trannys itll be fine though
    I agree not unless your a 95 lbs girl then maybe.

A friend of mine transformed his '05 Reign for more FR/DH duties. He replaced the Manitou Swinger 3 way with a Fox Vanilla R with 7.875 x 2.25 to give him 6.7 inches of travel. He also slapped on an '06 66RC2x that replaced his Manitou Nixon and it now matches with the same 6.7 inches at the front. Also, he installed a stronger Transition Revolution wheelset as well as updated the brakes from BB7 mechanicals to Hayes Strokers.

It was his first time to ride his updated Reign last Saturday and we hit the local Simi Trails (Hummingbird & Stagecoach) and he told me that his setup and he did mention that it rides so much better in the DH.

If your not a clyde and replace the air shock with a coil, slap a long travel SC fork of your choice, stronger wheelset and brakes then I think the '05-'07 Reign would be an excellent light freeride machine specially since you can get the frame relatively cheap these days.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    well if i built it up i would use the same set up on my nicolai. the reason i dont want a reign x is because i have old fox 36 150mm and i would need to buy new forks. would this kinda spec be ok on the reign?

fox vanilla rc
    fox 36
    dmr pro wheelset
    race face diabolous stem truvativ bars
    hope m4
    2 ring and bash raceface atlas cranks
    dmr speed guide
    ultegra cassete with x9 shifer/mech
    2003 nicolai bass

squish is good
    Here's my 05 Reign 2. There really isn't anything left stock anymore but the frame has held up well. The pivot bearings for the seatstay/rocker do wear out quicker than the rest of the pivot bearings though so be prepared to replace them if your gonna thrash it. This bike occasionally sees freeride use with up to 7 foot drops and takes it fine.

Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    this has realy helped thanks. i work for a bikeshop who stock gaint so im gonna see if i can get an 07 frame dead cheap! thanks agen guys
    2003 nicolai bass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjacko123
    well if i built it up i would use the same set up on my nicolai. the reason i dont want a reign x is because i have old fox 36 150mm and i would need to buy new forks. would this kinda spec be ok on the reign?

fox vanilla rc
    fox 36
    dmr pro wheelset
    race face diabolous stem truvativ bars
    hope m4
    2 ring and bash raceface atlas cranks
    dmr speed guide
    ultegra cassete with x9 shifer/mech
    I don't think the Fox Vanilla RC rear shock would work due to the piggyback. If you can find one with a remote reservoir then that should do but that is rare specially at the reign's required size.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    I don't think the Fox Vanilla RC rear shock would work due to the piggyback. If you can find one with a remote reservoir then that should do but that is rare specially at the reign's required size.
    The '06 and earlier Vanillas are the only coil shock that will fit the '05-'07 Reigns. From what I've heard though, they really make a difference in the way the bike feels!
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    The '06 and earlier Vanillas are the only coil shock that will fit the '05-'07 Reigns. From what I've heard though, they really make a difference in the way the bike feels!
    by using a air or coil shock without any platform will make a huge difference. It will make the rear suspension feel bottomless. it will make the rear tire track a lot better on the ground.

Motion activated
    Mine is holding up well (after bearing change), but it's mostly for AM use. Had fun on it at Keystone last year, but I'd rather have more bike to cover my butt when going bigger.

I'm running a pushed RP3 on the back with no platform, which is nice. I really love the Maestro suspension. My only issue with the bike is the 15" BB when running a 6" fork and big tires.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Members who have read this thread: 0