Giant Reign 2 - MISTAKE!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Giant Reign 2 - MISTAKE!!!

HI just recently bought a Giant Reign 2 2010, and I think I may have made a mistake. I want to use it more for DH, is it possible to fit a DC fork to a Reign?

The manual says that the warranty is void if i do. Is this just Giant covering themselves or will it really wreck my frame? Is there a smaller travel DC fork (say 160mm/170mm) that might work on the Reign frame without wrecking it?

Cheers

maker of trail
    While the reign might not be a DH bike, its still fairly capable.

Either ride the snot out of it as is, or see if the shop you bought it from will alow you to "swap" to the reign x, but don't mount a DC fork to it lol

mtbr member
    It's not the amount of travel to a DC fork that makes a company void the warranty on a frame if you mount one up. Do what essenmeinstuff recommended and maybe look into upgrading the fork to a Totem instead of what will come stock on the frame.

Now with More Wood
    When you say "more for DH" - do you mean that you want to
    a. actually ride just DH proper on it, with the uplifts/shuttles etc, or is it
    b. you want to pedal it to the top and then have some fun on the way down, kinda thing?

If a - you may want to buy a real DH bike.
    If b - probably "upgrade" that bike to a Reign X or similar do-it-all kind of rig.

The a. option gets you a bike that can (and most probably does already) run a DC fork. Do not try it on either your current bike, or whatever the outcome of the eventual b. option might be.

Given the nature of your "mistake" I suspect you may not be a confirmed DH (or FR) rider at this point? In that case it may make sense to do some more riding, followed by some more research, before jumping to any conclusions.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    The regn is NOT a DH bike. Capable yes, but not very well suited for anything but smooth groomed DH runs.

GAME ON!
    you don't need a dc fork. throw a totem on there and have fun.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

sixsixtysix
    I have seen the results of a Reign X with a 888 on it, I would highly recommend against it...

mtbr member
    What does downhill mean to you? put up some pictures

Delay
    Are we talking Reign or Reign X? Did you buy it used or from a shop? The Reign X is a very capable bike but not specifically meant for DH use (so is the Reign for that matter). I have a Reign X and ride the buhjesus out it. I use it for mostly freeride and aggressive trail riding and rarely ride the bike up hill. It's an awesome all around bike and has treated me very well in all sorts of downhill situations but it definitely has its limitations. Awesome bike but not meant for aggressive DH trials.

DO NOT PUT A DUAL CROWN ON THIS BIKE! I know there are a handful of pictures on here where people have put DC on their Reign's but you will be sorry when that head tube snaps off at 40mph after landing your favorite gap.

If you're stuck with the bike I would look into a shorter stem, possibly a Totem, and upgrade the front brake rotor to an 8 inch and ride the piss out of it. Enjoy the bike and get used to the style of riding while saving up for a true DH bike. Glory maybe?
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    I have seen the results of a Reign X with a 888 on it, I would highly recommend against it...
    and
    results are bad,.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cheers Chaps

All good advice and I will heed it, im a road man and had wanted to use a MTB for training but found its very addictive. I was out at Mont Ventoux and saw a load of DH guys jumping out of cars on the summit and DH'ing straight down the scree face into Bedoin, it looked amazin'!

So I had an idea that I could get up it in under 1.30 on my road bike and see how fast I could DH back down, my mate would bring my Giant Reign up in a car.

But I havent a clue how to DH or what im doing, I think i might reign my horns in a bit.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    and
    results are bad,.....
    Lets just say no amounts of JB Weld are going to reattach the front half to the back half.

mtbr member

I'm sure it looked cool....

But it took those guys a lot of time and crashes to get there. You may/may not be willing to put in the time. Keep your bike and start out slow, you may decide the risk is just not worth it....no matter how cool it looks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yeah im not gonna risk it. I have had a carbon road frame break under me - not pleasant

mtbr member
    please tell me you didin't put a triple on a road bike lol
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by kipdrunner
    What does downhill mean to you? put up some pictures
    good Q
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Haha NO!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0