Giant Glory vs. Cove Shocker- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: What would you get ( based on performance and not manufacturer)

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • 2009 Giant Glory DH

44 49.44%
  • Cove Shocker

45 50.56%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New question here. Giant Glory vs. Cove Shocker

ok guys trying to decide which bike to get for whistler this summer and for the next two years prob. both bikes are gonna cost me about 4500$. I weigh 198lb and I'm 6'2 and still 18(two more years to grow). I never pedal uphill and I want to go really fast down some harsh stuff and lokking for the best choice for that. given that I'll prob buy a large frame and the geo changes with that in both bikes (specially on the cove. let me know what you think

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I have a shocker and I love it....of course im going to say that. But, I have riden a glory and it is a nice bike, I wouldnt buy one. I have let lots of people take my rig for a spin and I get basicly the same reactions every time. "I have never got on a bike and felt comfortable on my first run" and "damn thats fast." and "I want one". The Shocker is great. Cove is great. Anyone who has owned one will tell you the same. Get the shocker you'll love it.
    "If Liberace was alive, he'd be proud to ride that mofo."

RIDE4FUN
    I haven't gotten to ride either on a trail, just playing around. Both felt extremely good. As far as what ive heard on them, it has been nothing but good. I think you'd be extremely happy with either of them. Just looking at them you can tell they are both of extremely good quality. I think i would personally go with the cove just because my friend who owns a bike shop carries them and you don't see many of them around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    cove for sure!!

get it here!!

http://kicker721.pinkbike.com/

this guy rocks, bullet proof and fast deals!! i got my std from Matt.
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ok so here are the buils and price

Cove Shocker: $5775 CD
    the build kit has 2010 boxxer team, x9 shifter and der, juicy 7 brks, mavic 721 rims with ringle rear hub, hulzfeller oct cranks with e-thirteen lg1 guide, holzfeller bar and stem, and fox dhx5 coil rear shock.

Giant Glory: 5500$ CD
    FORK Fox 40RC2 w/ Ti Spring, 203mm travel, 20mm thru-axle
    SHOCK Fox DHX 5.0, coil
    HANDLEBAR Race Face Diabolus, low rise, 31.8mm
    STEM Race Face Diabolus D2 DH, 31.8mm, 0 deg
    SHIFTERS Shimano Saint, Rapidfire, rear only
    FRONT DERAILLEUR MRP G2 Chainguide (custom for Giant)
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Saint, top normal, short cage
    BRAKES Shimano Saint, 203F / 180R, Center Lock disc
    CRANKSET Shimano Saint, 38T single
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano Saint, external
    RIMS Mavic EX 729 Disc, custom, 32H
    HUBS Shimano Saint, Center Lock disc

mtbr member
    The Glory is the better suspension design/bike.

mtbr member
    just got back from my virgin ride on my glory and the bike rides great....the maestro suspension has no pedal bobb.....the travel is smooth but it can still take huge hits...its a solid rig
    Gas Sucks Ride A Bike :)

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadHucker
    The Glory is the better suspension design/bike.
    That is a bold statement. Where did you get this information?

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    I love my GLORY fit's my riding like a glove(NB. I've got the GLORY FR1 COMP)
    ILIKENORTHSHOREANDICANNOTLIE
    glory, glory hallelujah...

any1 guess what bike I ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    haaa this is so hard, I wish I could test ride them both!
    I'm the guy that blocks your view with a cloud of dust!

A landing that you can walk out of is a good landing!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    FWIW, I would get the Shocker, but the Glory will have a better warranty and parts support.

Giant still offers pivot kits for their older models and they put a lifetime warranty on the front and rear triangle... Sorry I can't tell you how they ride as I've only pedaled both in a parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    but what advantages does the shocker have over the glory? everyone says the find them awesome but nobody explain what the difference is etc

EastBaySteez
    I saw more Shockers at N* this past weekend that I thought possible.

Get one! yeeeeee boi
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bah that a minus, I hate seeing a bunch of bikes like mine, its just not cool
    and I'm going to whistler, which is like where shockers go for mating season

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I've owned a couple of coves in the past and they are well put together if a little dated designs now (STD/Shocker excluded) - altho the shocker is a tried and tested DH machine, i'd have one but its a bloody heavy frame aint it? But i guess it'll be super strong and if your not gona pedal uphill atall its no biggie, my mate has one and loves it and he really fly's altho for the money i'd grab the Evil revolt

Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rzarikian
    but what advantages does the shocker have over the glory? everyone says the find them awesome but nobody explain what the difference is etc
    The Shocker has a rearward axle path. It helps the bike to not get cought up on rocks roots ect. It does realy well in gnarly situations. The geo is on the money. Its super comfy and is just a blast to rail around corners/berms.The only bad thing (not really) I have to say about the frame is that you cant be lazy when you ride it. If you don't try to make this thing haul ass it just wants to stop. Probably for being mad at you for being a fairy. But if you throw it in some corners and get your weight just right over some gnar its fast as all get out.

Both the shocker and glory are heavy in todays terms, but you cant feel the weigh of the shocker when you ride it. it leans very easily. On the Glory I could feel the weight more when cornering.

If you are concerned about pedaling I would not try to pedal the shocker up hill. But there is a weird charictaristic of this frame that I really like. It pedals like hell out of corners. If you are looking to get a pedal stroke here and there it makes a big diference. I cant say anything about the uphill pedaling ability of the glory.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    The Shocker has a rearward axle path. It helps the bike to not get cought up on rocks roots ect. It does realy well in gnarly situations. The geo is on the money. Its super comfy and is just a blast to rail around corners/berms.The only bad thing (not really) I have to say about the frame is that you cant be lazy when you ride it. If you don't try to make this thing haul ass it just wants to stop. Probably for being mad at you for being a fairy. But if you throw it in some corners and get your weight just right over some gnar its fast as all get out.

Both the shocker and glory are heavy in todays terms, but you cant feel the weigh of the shocker when you ride it. it leans very easily. On the Glory I could feel the weight more when cornering.

If you are concerned about pedaling I would not try to pedal the shocker up hill. But there is a weird charictaristic of this frame that I really like. It pedals like hell out of corners. If you are looking to get a pedal stroke here and there it makes a big diference. I cant say anything about the uphill pedaling ability of the glory.
    but doesn't maestro also have a rearward axle path?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't know, the shocker seems like a very nice bike but I think the glory is better for big guys like me, I mean, for example, the small and med shockers have 64.5 of HA but the large (which is what I would buy) has 65.5 of HA. I'm guessing this changes the ride...

Any idea why the angles on the large are not as slack? Seems weird...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yeah, that's what I though!!

RiffRaff
    Jan 2007
    I think somebbody posted up that the 1 degree steeper head angle for the large is a type-o on their web site. I would call them if its an issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HTFR
    That is a bold statement. Where did you get this information?
    Owned both bikes, Glory is on a completely different level. Far better than any other bike Ive owned as well (demo 8 judge sunday)

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    but doesn't maestro also have a rearward axle path?
    The first half is vertical, then arcing...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Hope

I haven't ridden either bike in question but I'd strongly recommend throwing a leg over the Giant if that's the bike you decide to go for. A friend of mine had a Glory and said that they run small. I have 3 days on my Evil now and I'd suggest it to anybody looking fir a new bike. I wouldn't limit yourself to the Glory and Shocker unless you can get some special deal.

Also, the 3 friends that have bought 2010 Boxxer teams have all been disappointed in them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derekr
    I've owned a couple of coves in the past and they are well put together if a little dated designs now (STD/Shocker excluded) - altho the shocker is a tried and tested DH machine, i'd have one but its a bloody heavy frame aint it? But i guess it'll be super strong and if your not gona pedal uphill atall its no biggie, my mate has one and loves it and he really fly's altho for the money i'd grab the Evil revolt

isn't the evil a old dinosaurier single pivot system?
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know, the shocker seems like a very nice bike but I think the glory is better for big guys like me, I mean, for example, the small and med shockers have 64.5 of HA but the large (which is what I would buy) has 65.5 of HA. I'm guessing this changes the ride...

all shocker size are 65

geometrie-data

spec-data
    ride.

Yeah correct all HA is 65deg no matter what size frame.

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-fil...b2b49fc75d.pdf

dontcha?
    I measured my large '06 shocker with a Boxxer WC as low as I could make it and the lower rear shock mount with my iphone on a level surface and it came out to 64.2.. Bike feels awesome, def. the fastest bike I've ridden, but I've only ridden a Glory-DH very briefly, so I can't really contribute much to this post..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yeah maybe its a typing error in their web page. I'm leaning towards the Glory since it comes with better components and it has a nice warranty in case I break the frame. also, since I'm going to be living between venezuela and the US its gonna be easier for me to get replacement parts, there's eaven a giant dealer about half a mile from where I'll be living in the US so that's convenient!

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    the Glory won't dissapoint

here's my Glory

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ok guys, I think I'm going for the glory, I really can't see any advantages the shocker has over the glory, and since this is going to be my first 8+ travel bike I want it to be a sure shot. The glory has a better, MUCH better warranty coverage, I think if I break the cove there is o warranty at all? I can get replacements for the glory wherever I am, plus I like the design of maestro better. its similar to dw-link, looks sturdier, and the glory come better built, just having the 40rc2 up front is worth it.
    Last edited by rzarikian; 06-24-2009 at 09:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If the shocker really has a more rearward axle path then the suspension is also more effected by chain tension(pedallling) the harder you pedal the more you pull on the suspension,it will bob. I've taken my glory on crosscountry rides(i have a set of lighter wheels,tires) and detoured into dh runs,see you later xc guys. You do need to have better fitness than guys on lighter bikes and it gets kind of weary after 2 hrs or so. The cove looks heavier,if it's absolutely dh lazier no pedalling,go cove a bit of extra versitility and wuarentee go giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8664
    It's is a sp but it differs from a classical sp design quite a lot. It was designed around the same time as DW link if I remember correctly.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    both are the same weight.
    and if the chain lengthens when the suspension compresses then I think pedal bob is eliminated cuz when you pedal you're pushing the suspension up, but I'm not sure.

Between the two suspension designs which one would you guys choose?

FeeRideRules
    Apr 2009
    I only noticed a bit of bobbing from the rear of the GLORY but after 3 days of riding it for several hours on end I got used to it & I'm now pre-loading the suspension which totally eliminates the bobbing but then again I did go from a BMX to the GLORY

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    From What I can sum up, both FRAMES are equal in performance, both have the same amount of travel, geo is pretty much the same, weight is the same but the glory comes with much better components, better warranty and personally, I think the paintjob looks amazing. Oh and the Cove distributer's service is terrible, I asked him like what zises and colors he had and he only told me the price, when I asked him again he didn't even anwer. the glory guy hokked me up with a large frame and is doing me the favor of swapping components from a medium since large's are all out. So I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the glory today

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ok guys I just made the plunge and went with the glory, it'll be waiting for me in whistler for when I get there in 20 days, can't wait, I'll keep you guys posted! thanks for all your imput.

Go back to school
    +1 on the glory. Is it just me or does it look like the Cove is trying to mimic the Maestro linkage? I roll on a Giant Faith and my Maestro linkage is sweet. The floating pivot really locks everything up when your butt's on the seat.

Also you may wan't to consider waiting for the 2010 Faith to get what no one has : )

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_gene...009/faith2.jpg
    Die to ride, ride to die

dontcha?
    You're a wet dream for specialized's marketing department.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    don't forget to keep the pressure up in the marz rear shock, i didn't read the part(or have bad comprehension) about the air having to be at 190-210 lbs, thought it was an optional bottom out resistance ,which the bike didn't seem to need ,i rode it on trails for a few months and blew the shock out on the first day on a mtn with real drops. Run the propedal low on the mtn as well. Marzocchi wuarenteed it,AND i bought an extra shock body right away so i didn't miss a weekend, so now i have a spare.

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    HAHA!! Yes I broke the tie, Giant is winning now 34 to 33. Both bikes are sick as hell though but I'd rather have the giant

maker of trail
    ^^ I just undid all your hard work.

Ohhh *****
    Jun 2009
    I loved the Giant Glory 0 I rode

ready to ride
    Shocker!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ridefreeride
    Shocker!!!
    nice ride!!
    ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    that yours?

N* Bomber Crew
    i got my std from Matt.
    Uh.....huh.....
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

ready to ride
    Ha!!!

I wish it was mine. However one of the guys at my lbs ride one that's yellow and it always makes me jelous when I see him at the trails. However the shop sells Giant and Mongoose bikes and the Glory has to be one of their top selling. Anyway the guy raves about how great his bike is and I beleave him 'cause that thing is a beast!!

rfr
    N* = <3 <3]

Members who have read this thread: 0