Giant Glory or Iron Horse 7 Point?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Giant Glory or Iron Horse 7 Point?

Randall Scott has a good eeal on a 7 Point 5 with a nice spec, which is a 7" bike. I like the Glory freeride as well. Main goals are a good bike that will last, for me to progress on.

I don't particularly like Giant's pierced downtube design, but not a big deal.

the HA on the Giant is a bit slaker than on the IH.

Thoughts please? as I need soem good opinions before makinga purchase

mtbr member
    7 point is more of an all around DH/FR bike, while the Glory is a full on DH race rig, so it depends on your riding style.

i drink shower water
    if you are stoked on the feel of the Glory but want a Freeride bike then I would reccomend getting the Giant Glory FR Bike. its a Glory but only 7.5 inches so its more freeride oriented.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    7 point is more of an all around DH/FR bike, while the Glory is a full on DH race rig, so it depends on your riding style.
    I don't have a style yet. I'm coming from XC/All Mtn riding and the road, which I will always do. I'm just starting to sack up to some things and want to keep progressing.

I guess I'd say the "style" i would like to develop is DH smooth, fast, keep it low to the ground style. I have no BMX background, so don't see myself doing a lot of tricks - I'll be real happy when I can table the bike nicely and turn in the air properly, etc and hit lips correctly, suck the bike up into me for control, lol!

mtbr member
    May 2004

Okay

Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    if you are stoked on the feel of the Glory but want a Freeride bike then I would reccomend getting the Giant Glory FR Bike. its a Glory but only 7.5 inches so its more freeride oriented.
    I need to go sit on it and ride it around in the parking lot of the shop. Can't do taht with the IH because it's online. I think the new pivot hardware, bearings, etc that IH started using this year are supposed to give it good durability, so both bikes seem good and durable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I don't have a style yet. I'm coming from XC/All Mtn riding and the road, which I will always do. I'm just starting to sack up to some things and want to keep progressing.

I guess I'd say the "style" i would like to develop is DH smooth, fast, keep it low to the ground style. I have no BMX background, so don't see myself doing a lot of tricks - I'll be real happy when I can table the bike nicely and turn in the air properly, etc and hit lips correctly, suck the bike up into me for control, lol!
    Tough one. I'd recommend the 7 point for a beginning rider, but because it doesn't seem like you'll be doing any FR, then im definately going to have to go with the Glory.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Will be doing FR

Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Tough one. I'd recommend the 7 point for a beginning rider, but because it doesn't seem like you'll be doing any FR, then im definately going to have to go with the Glory.
    We're progressing here in Southwest Idaho - there are new freeride lines in up on the mountain, and plans for beginner/intermediate alongside the bigger stuff (big to me anyway), plus a new velodrome in the works with skills park, 4X course, and (off topic) a road racing track course for track bikes. there's also a little freeride area on private land, actually a couple of them. The FR area on the mtn has double jumps, berm turns, ladders, wood drops to wood trannys, skinnies, etc!

Oh yes, my friend also built a skills park in his backyard that has some really skinny stuff on it.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i don't know anything about the giant, but i've got an 06 7point5 i bought from randall scott last spring. i'm in boise, so if you want to meet up at ussery or somewhere to check it out i'd be glad to let you ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish McCorduroy
    i don't know anything about the giant, but i've got an 06 7point5 i bought from randall scott last spring. i'm in boise, so if you want to meet up at ussery or somewhere to check it out i'd be glad to let you ride it.
    yes, that would be awesome! That's nice of ya. How has the bike held up for you?

I don't have another bike to switch as I had planned to move, and am not going to now, but I shipped my Reign down to SoCal before I decided not to move, and it's in my bro's garage - I have to get it back so I can sell it.

Let me know when you're going to hit Ussery and I'd love to try that bike. I'm riding XC tonight though, if it's not raining here in a bit cuz my fat arse needs some cardio!

just PM me.

Living the High Life
    Are you looking at the Glory DH or Glory FR?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Glory FR

Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Are you looking at the Glory DH or Glory FR?
    or this:
    Last edited by mtnbkrdr98; 11-05-2007 at 07:29 PM.

EastBaySteez
    I ride a 7point and came directly from a Xc/Am background alittle more than a year ago.
    I absolutely love the fact that Its still pedalable but at the same time can bomb down the touch technical dh trails. The Glory might be lighter and a better race bike, but the 7point is bomb proof.

PM me if you have any more questions.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    agreed. the dw-link pedals very well. in fact after riding my 7point for a season, i've sold my xc/am bike so i can put some money into lightening up the 7point for trail riding. think it might be a little overkill for the foothills?

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Crayfish McCorduroy
    think it might be a little overkill for the foothills?
    no way!
    I ride mine on XC rides easily. Yes it might be alittle more work than a 34lb trail bike but I just think to myself that Im a stronger rider than my buddy on his MKIII
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    i bet the glory pedals better then any 7point

yaha ha
    I love my glory DH and all maestro suspension ran bikes (giants)

I'd suggest the glory FR for yourself if youre doing alot of resort riding. I believe the 7pt is a little more pedalable tho

StraightOuttaCompton
    ride both if you can or something similiar and then decide what you want
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Members who have read this thread: 0