giant ac2??- Mtbr.com

Poll: giant ac2

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: giant ac2??

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

giant ac2??

hey hope you can help me
    i am in need of a second bike ( first one was a waste of money, a mongoose) and i want to get a bike that is tougher, more travel in front and rear, hydo brakes ext. i found this giant ac2 on mtbr classifieds and i am wondering if it is good for what i do ( freeride, urban assulting, 8ft )
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

thanks all

jordan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pro Crastinator
    should be fine as long as you don't get crazy on it.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    That old Rock Shox rear is not a good shock. The bike will definitely fit what you're looking for, but whether or not it is worth getting depends on the price.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    should be fine as long as you don't get crazy on it.......

how big of a drop can i do with this... flat to flat

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJeans
    That old Rock Shox rear is not a good shock. The bike will definitely fit what you're looking for, but whether or not it is worth getting depends on the price.
    800 bucks o.b.o is perfect for me, i mean i dont have that much money, the swing arm and pivot points look dirty... but that can be easily cleaned. i think its a good deal.. what do you think?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It can probably take most flat to flat drops that you would choose to do, but I wouldn't do anything to nuts.

ride hard
    im not going to be the first one to tell you this, but if all you do is urban assault, you can get a hardtail that will hold up better for drops to flat (my warp is thouroughly trashed, im considering a hardtail myself) and also a hartail has the best anti bob mechanism in the world. and, for 900 you can get a 05 p2, so there a better deal. then you can put on a nicer fork with the money.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    im not going to be the first one to tell you this, but if all you do is urban assault, you can get a hardtail that will hold up better for drops to flat (my warp is thouroughly trashed, im considering a hardtail myself) and also a hartail has the best anti bob mechanism in the world. and, for 900 you can get a 05 p2, so there a better deal. then you can put on a nicer fork with the money.

i do agree, but i mostly do freeriding in the "mountains" and stuff that a hardtail wont do so good as

locked - time out
    $800 doesn't seem like a bad deal - you may be able to do better, but the bike looks decent. I've heard of older AC frames having issues, though I forget exactly where (I'm sure someone will chime in). On the up side, Giant is good with warranties, and the '03 AC1 I have been riding has stood up well to some decent abuse - though I've only been riding it for 4 months. Rockshox makes sh1t though - particularly rear shocks, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    $800 doesn't seem like a bad deal - you may be able to do better, but the bike looks decent. I've heard of older AC frames having issues, though I forget exactly where (I'm sure someone will chime in). On the up side, Giant is good with warranties, and the '03 AC1 I have been riding has stood up well to some decent abuse - though I've only been riding it for 4 months. Rockshox makes sh1t though - particularly rear shocks, IMO

true, thats why i want to get a pretty cheap price bike then i can TRY to sell the roch shox deluxe right when i get it then buy a new rear shock ( possibly fox vinilla rc?)

mtbr member
    800 is a decent price....... only weak point being the rear shock. But it would be well suited to what you want to ride...... Did you know that for just slightly more money you could get a brand new bike Weyless 67 for 999 www.supergo.com comes with a great parts spec for the money and you get to be the first to break it in....

Stand back

That's a deal

Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    true, thats why i want to get a pretty cheap price bike then i can TRY to sell the roch shox deluxe right when i get it then buy a new rear shock ( possibly fox vinilla rc?)
    Looks to be in good shape, and if it's not got much ride time on it, it's a pretty good deal. You can get a brand new Vanilla R for $225 at speedgoat, or $360 for a DHX.
    OTOH, you can get the Weyless 67 for a grand, if they still have it in stock in your size, and it's 6" front/ 6 or 7 rear, 8" hayes hydros and would do everything you need it to...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Looks to be in good shape, and if it's not got much ride time on it, it's a pretty good deal. You can get a brand new Vanilla R for $225 at speedgoat, or $360 for a DHX.
    OTOH, you can get the Weyless 67 for a grand, if they still have it in stock in your size, and it's 6" front/ 6 or 7 rear, 8" hayes hydros and would do everything you need it to...
    not anymore dude... the weyless is back up to 1,700

Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    800 is a decent price....... only weak point being the rear shock. But it would be well suited to what you want to ride...... Did you know that for just slightly more money you could get a brand new bike Weyless 67 for 999 www.supergo.com comes with a great parts spec for the money and you get to be the first to break it in....
    well not anymore... they took it off the sale.... its back up to 1,700

mtbr member
    well not anymore... they took it off the sale.... its back up to 1,700

No great loss...I think 1700 is too much but that's my opinion..... The 67 has your name all over it.... .... and if you make out like a bandit this holiday season a Kona stinky or Cannondale Gemini 900 or Yeti asx would be nice too should run 1100 to like 1500 ish depending on condition,parts spec how much effort you want to spend looking around....

Quote Originally Posted by Felpur
    No great loss...I think 1700 is too much but that's my opinion..... The 67 has your name all over it.... .... and if you make out like a bandit this holiday season a Kona stinky or Cannondale Gemini 900 or Yeti asx would be nice too should run 1100 to like 1500 ish depending on condition,parts spec how much effort you want to spend looking around....

haha ya but i dont have a job(yet) but 1000 is to much for me... unfortunitly.. but the kind of bike .. the capabilities i would want to be .... maybe the bike can handle up to 8 ft flat to flat... you think that giant ac2 can do it? even if the back shock isent blown or anything

mtbr member
    haha ya but i dont have a job(yet) but 1000 is to much for me... unfortunitly.. but the kind of bike .. the capabilities i would want to be .... maybe the bike can handle up to 8 ft flat to flat... you think that giant ac2 can do it? even if the back shock isent blown or anything
    no bike should be put through that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

locked - time out
    What does it mean to "handle" it? Does that mean that the bike holds up once under a hack of a rider, or 15 times under a smooth rider? Are you asking whether the shock will take it.. or the wheelset... or the frame? What is the weight and riding ability of this rider? There are guys out there who could probably drop 8' to flat on (insert make and model of newest wiz-bang CC bike here) for a year without issues. Generally, it is less a matter of bike and more a matter of rider. Sure you want a stout bike, but there's so much to the question "will this handle 8' to flat?" that it renders any answer you may recieve useless. I'm not trying to be a smart @ss or anything, it's just that I have heard "will X bike handle drops over X feet to flat / transition?" about a bajillion times and any answer to this question is pretty much useless outside of a very specific context. I have dropped my AC to a relatively flat tranny from 9' about two dozen times, and 14' or so to a 50 degree tranny about half dozen times - it seems fine, but it's 4 months old too - will it break next time out? I don't know, but I haven't found any cracks yet, and I watch. Am I a smoother / rougher rider than you? I have no idea.

The point I'm trying to make is that the best you can do is to ask around among people who ride this or similar bikes, see whether they are happy with theirs and hope for the best when you get yours. Giant has a pretty decent rep - it that weren't the case, you would undoubtedly have 15 guys here telling you "Stay away" (do a search on Karpiel) From the sound of it - this bike will probably do just fine for you.

Good Luck

mtbr member
    I have had two AC's and in 6 months.......not good results

Heres my old one

So far im 0 for 2

Quote Originally Posted by stratguy
    I have had two AC's and in 6 months.......not good results

Heres my old one

So far im 0 for 2

what did you go off to break it like that?

and to s1ngletrack... the "handle" part just means if i can DO 8ft drops... no hard feelings

mtbr member
    i also had 2 ac's in with in a year, frame cracked and broke in the EXACT same spots as the pic's shown above
    Last edited by A-team; 12-26-2004 at 03:08 PM. Reason: wow
    chode1: dude I cant nail that road gap
    jong2: yah dude.
    chode2: dudes, if we had a team...
    jong1: yeah just like on that Disney movie!
    chode1: chix would dig it and wed get layd
    chode2: everyone except you that is
    jong2: yeah lets be the Paris Hilton Death Squad
    chode2: PHOQUE YEAH!
    chorus: TIME TO DO THE ROAD GAP!

Origionally posted bygonzostrike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i had an 03 and they flex like hell, the bb height is too low ,

mtbr member
    i was thinking about a new AC 2 but now i'm most likly getting a specialized.

damnit is the ac2 really that bad? what did you guys to to crack the frames like that?

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    damnit is the ac2 really that bad? what did you guys to to crack the frames like that?
    unfortunatly yes...

there made from door frame metal...

a mate of mine had one for 2 years and while for the most of it...it was used for 4by/Dual it had problems after problems and in the end was ditched for a Banshee Scream...the drop outs on the thing were they were made from paper machay...he would go through 2-3 a month and thats only from hitting smooth sculptured 20' - 25' ft doubles on a BMX track...and daves the smoothest rider i know...he blew up the Rock Shock Pro Coil Delux twice and shattered his shock mount bolts and pivots several times...im suprised we never found snaps of cracks in the frame...but like i said hes very smooth...

a Giant DS Warp he ahd before that he snapped clean in half...the cheaper Giant bikes i would have to say are not very tough or well made in my opinion...

in your situation id rather just go out and get a really good HT with good solid componentry rather than a dodgy/cheap FS bike...from my impressions your somewhat a beginnner so a HT wont matter either way...

and freerider167 i thought u were definatly getting an SX Trail...why only likly to get one now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

Yo Paseo El Scream
    you should definitly not take that off anything especially after seeing what some of these guys did do the ac. I would either buy a hardtail with some nice stuff or look for some other good deal. 800 doesn't come around very often for a fs, but if your lucky you'lll find it, so just keep looking around.
    P.S. Is 800 your max? or is 1000?
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Yo Paseo El Scream
    i found an awesome deal here..
    http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/buys...ew&image=76679
    also they'rs a forum on here about a big hit grom, that wouldn't suit as good, but i mean it's going for 350, and with the extra cash you'd have you could buy some 26's and maybe a fork... but still, this deal here would sound real good if you would spend the extra 150
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeHucker
    also they'rs a forum on here about a big hit grom, that wouldn't suit as good, but i mean it's going for 350, and with the extra cash you'd have you could buy some 26's and maybe a fork... but still, this deal here would sound real good if you would spend the extra 150

dude nice... my friend has a same but a single crown... probably 125mm of travel... i wanted something better... you think that spec is good? does it still have that stock x fusion rear shock? and how good is a spec if decked out with a nice fork like a boxxer and possibly a vinilla r? my secondary bike would prob BE a spec, so i might go for the good quality of a specialized. thanks alot dude

and to banshehucker... my max is 1000

mtbr member
    unfortunatly yes...

there made from door frame metal...

a mate of mine had one for 2 years and while for the most of it...it was used for 4by/Dual it had problems after problems and in the end was ditched for a Banshee Scream...the drop outs on the thing were they were made from paper machay...he would go through 2-3 a month and thats only from hitting smooth sculptured 20' - 25' ft doubles on a BMX track...and daves the smoothest rider i know...he blew up the Rock Shock Pro Coil Delux twice and shattered his shock mount bolts and pivots several times...im suprised we never found snaps of cracks in the frame...but like i said hes very smooth...

a Giant DS Warp he ahd before that he snapped clean in half...the cheaper Giant bikes i would have to say are not very tough or well made in my opinion...

in your situation id rather just go out and get a really good HT with good solid componentry rather than a dodgy/cheap FS bike...from my impressions your somewhat a beginnner so a HT wont matter either way...

and freerider167 i thought u were definatly getting an SX Trail...why only likly to get one now...
    Yeah, Hell i want to get one, but i'm coming up short in cash, so i'm sellin my beloved dirtbike and using car money i'm saving. Well money is something i can workout over time, But time.... thats a problem, since i don't have enghof money to order one on time means i can't order, and also it's limited production. So if i can get my dirty greedy hands on one i'll put down all my money on that bike just to hold it. I will get one if i can. A LBS has 3 coming in, thank god, but they sell fast. As soon as i can i will try to reserve one. Hopfuly they will sell it to me, if not i'll try ebay. if that doesn't work i will wait till 2006. so I Will get one if i can find one that i can buy. if there is no way of getting one than i geuss i can't get one. That is my story. so i will most likely get the bike, unless my LBS sold all 3. if they sold all 3 i would be heartbroken.... All in All, i would definetly get one. but right now i will most likly get one due to the avaliblity of them.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Quote Originally Posted by freerider167
    Yeah, Hell i want to get one, but i'm coming up short in cash, so i'm sellin my beloved dirtbike and using car money i'm saving. Well money is something i can workout over time, But time.... thats a problem, since i don't have enghof money to order one on time means i can't order, and also it's limited production. So if i can get my dirty greedy hands on one i'll put down all my money on that bike just to hold it. I will get one if i can. A LBS has 3 coming in, thank god, but they sell fast. As soon as i can i will try to reserve one. Hopfuly they will sell it to me, if not i'll try ebay. if that doesn't work i will wait till 2006. so I Will get one if i can find one that i can buy. if there is no way of getting one than i geuss i can't get one. That is my story. so i will most likely get the bike, unless my LBS sold all 3. if they sold all 3 i would be heartbroken.... All in All, i would definetly get one. but right now i will most likly get one due to the avaliblity of them.
    fair enough...

well good luck with your dilemia...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

ya money is a prob for me.. im trying to get enough money for spring... snow+shoveling= cash... for now i need a job

Yo Paseo El Scream
    dude nice... my friend has a same but a single crown... probably 125mm of travel... i wanted something better... you think that spec is good? does it still have that stock x fusion rear shock? and how good is a spec if decked out with a nice fork like a boxxer and possibly a vinilla r? my secondary bike would prob BE a spec, so i might go for the good quality of a specialized. thanks alot dude

and to banshehucker... my max is 1000
    No its got a fox r shock, pretty good, a lot better than the rock shox, and it sounds like it would be perfect for you.
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Team Sanchez
    I had some issues with Breakage on my 02 AC. The first one was on the Chainstays, and the second was on the seat tube. Giant was awesome about the warranty, but if you ride hard, or are a big guy, I'd stay away.

Glad to Be Alive
    no no no...to Big Hit single pivots
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    that must suck... now i know i shouldn't get an AC. About the money problem. Well things have turned out good for me and i know that if you want a bike that fits your exact needs you can't just say here is 1000. you need to know that a bike which is good will be more than 1000, so you have to open your wallet and bugget. I'm not saying that bikes under 1000 are crappy, it's just if you want something really good that you won't need to upgrade much, a nice strong bike you really need to open up. I don't have a lot of money to throw around. Hopfully i'll get the money on time and soon enghof to get that SX Trail. I need all the luck i can get to get this bike. As for the AC, i wouldn't get one unless you are doing light stuff.

that must suck... now i know i shouldn't get an AC. About the money problem. Well things have turned out good for me and i know that if you want a bike that fits your exact needs you can't just say here is 1000. you need to know that a bike which is good will be more than 1000, so you have to open your wallet and bugget. I'm not saying that bikes under 1000 are crappy, it's just if you want something really good that you won't need to upgrade much, a nice strong bike you really need to open up. I don't have a lot of money to throw around. Hopfully i'll get the money on time and soon enghof to get that SX Trail. I need all the luck i can get to get this bike. As for the AC, i wouldn't get one unless you are doing light stuff.

yeah i guess your right... one guy told me that the ac2 is a real good bike... but hes a cross country rider so thats not for me.

mtbr member
    Get a Gemini or a lighten up bighit with a stiffer spring. Or a slightly used stinky.

some guys offered me a big hit comp with boxxer for 950... ill post the pics when i get em

mtbr member
    what year bike and boxxer. is it complete. if it is like and 03, 04 and in good condition i would go for it. i would put a different fork on like a pike or a 66 on it to lighten it up. Also if you don't want the bob you might need to upgrade the spring. maybe the shock it'self. Anyways it's up to you.

mtbr member
    what did you go off to break it like that?

and to s1ngletrack... the "handle" part just means if i can DO 8ft drops... no hard feelings
    Ya it can definately handle 8ft drops, the orange ACAir I broke on the chainstay, I did a 20ft drop....and overshot it....The other one on the seat tube, I didnt do anything big, it broke while I was riding up the curb. In fact Im leaving to pick up the warantey frame right now...

mtbr member
    Nice, new frame... if i were you i'd sell that frame and get myself, in this case yourself a better frame, one that won't break.

mtbr member
    Nice, new frame... if i were you i'd sell that frame and get myself, in this case yourself a better frame, one that won't break.
    I only got a chainstay, so I didnt get a whole new frame.

mtbr member
    what year bike and boxxer. is it complete. if it is like and 03, 04 and in good condition i would go for it. i would put a different fork on like a pike or a 66 on it to lighten it up. Also if you don't want the bob you might need to upgrade the spring. maybe the shock it'self. Anyways it's up to you.
    Why would you put a pike on a Big Hit , and a 66 is heavier than a boxxer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

found this on the classifieds... for 850

good? its large... it looks huge ... im 5' 10" and lanky
    hopefully better than the ac2?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratguy
    I only got a chainstay, so I didnt get a whole new frame.
    that sucks, don;t you have another broken frame with the seat tube broken apart? if you do you should have switched it so you have one good frame and one bad. thats is you have had them at the same time. then maybe you can get the whole thing.

Yo Paseo El Scream
    for urban, even though you might be tall and lanky, i would get a smaller bike to through around better.
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Yo Paseo El Scream
    by the way, are hardtails totally out of the question?
    Banshee Bikes
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

by the way, are hardtails totally out of the question?

ya hardtails are out of the question... and by the way the iron horse posted above is sold... freakin person is to lazy to take the ad out

mtbr member
    How about a nice Kona Coiler. It's a nice bike and you don't see many kona coiler frames broken.http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...6&parentid=182
    or try ebay. I know a new coiler might be a bit much, but it is kick @$$

How about a nice Kona Coiler. It's a nice bike and you don't see many kona coiler frames broken.http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...6&parentid=182
    or try ebay. I know a new coiler might be a bit much, but it is kick @$$
    ya i was looking at them along time ago.. but they are quiet on the expenzive side for me