Getting a value for a bike damaged in shipping?- Mtbr.com
    Florida Rider

Getting a value for a bike damaged in shipping?

My bike got damaged by UPS coming back from colorado this season and Im in the process of getting a claim paid. they need proof of value for it, so how do I go about getting one? Go to the LBS, Call specialized...?
    Help!

Thanks!

Shop *****
    Get the reciept of the bike bought, and any reciepts from aftermarket parts from the bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by <sL4yEr>RuLz
    All good suggestions. What kind of "ass-orderant" would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Everyone I know who has done something like that or for a stolen bike has gone to the LBS. I've never done it, though.

Meh.
    LBS can write up an estimate.

mtbr member
    Sounds like most of you guys are suggesting that what the carrier will award him is going to be current value of the bike. Usually, like with homeowners insurance, you are awarded the cost of replacement.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Sounds like most of you guys are suggesting that what the carrier will award him is going to be current value of the bike. Usually, like with homeowners insurance, you are awarded the cost of replacement.
    INDEED. You should get full RETAIL cost of replacement. Send them an itemized list of parts that need replacing and their corresponding MSRP after LBS signs off on it. Be sure to buy from LBS at this point to build a great relationship.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    INDEED. You should get full RETAIL cost of replacement. Send them an itemized list of parts that need replacing and their corresponding MSRP after LBS signs off on it. Be sure to buy from LBS at this point to build a great relationship.
    EXACTLY! Milk this one for all it's worth! If your bike is available as a frame, then get the cost of the frame and then price out each part on it as well, you'll get more $$$$ that way! Not sure if this is morally right, but they wrecked your rig in the first place so it's their fault.

Defiantly buy from an LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Even if you didnt buy your bike from the local bike shop that carries your specific brand or frame, don't let that discourage you. Most places will be inclined to help you if they think it will persuade you to give them future business. You can say something like "since I'll be purchasing a replacement I might be interested in ordering something else at the same time, would you be willing to help me out with the estimate?
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    Get a lawyer.

Seriously, the pigs at ups and fedex will do everything they can (and try some things they cant) to squirm out of paying you. In their eyes, its your fault for trusting them and they will try to refuse to pay.

Fight 'em to the death and get your $hit back!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Be sure to buy from LBS at this point to build a great relationship.
    LBS estimate and buy from them
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by creyc
    Get a lawyer.

Seriously, the pigs at ups and fedex will do everything they can (and try some things they cant) to squirm out of paying you. In their eyes, its your fault for trusting them and they will try to refuse to pay.

Fight 'em to the death and get your $hit back!
    that would cost more than just replacing the parts...not to mention an butt load of time wasted.
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    When they lost my 888 I just printed the page from Jenson and thats the amountthey gave me.

mtbr member
    yea, i dont really mean get an attorney but its a lot of effort to get them to pay.

Members who have read this thread: 0