Getting ready to start racing....Changing frames..Any suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    Master of Custodial Arts

Getting ready to start racing....Changing frames..Any suggestions?

OK...I am finally ready to start racing after freeriding for about a year. I have been using the Kona Coiler frame but Ryan from SEI racing said that 5 inches of travel isn't going to be enough. I have a Sherman Slider Plus and am looking for a 8" travel frame. He was suggesting the 04 SGS series by Iron Horse. Said he used to use one before SEI started hooking him up with DHR's. It looks nice to me and the price is right. Also the Big Hit looks very similar and that is up on my list too. I've also been looking at some Konas(Stinky D, Stab), Azonics(Recoil, Eliminator), Santa Cruz(V10) and if I decide to go all out, maybe a DHR(Not sure). Also I didn't know if the Transition Dirtbag and the Yeti ASX were too freeride based and not DH. If any of you race I am looking for a solid Downhill frame, but can also be used on the local trails here for Freeriding, so i guess if you could just give me some models and why you like them that would help alot thanks.
    Last edited by Gnar; 03-20-2004 at 04:36 PM. Reason: addition
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

9 Lives Baby!

Bullit

Gnar:

Did they say anythiing about the SC Bullit for racing? I love mine. It's bomb proof too, which is good if you're new like me and, well, bomb a lot.
    Good luck this season.
    "You want bread? TWO DOLLARS!"

Master of Custodial Arts

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Kat10
    Gnar:

Did they say anythiing about the SC Bullit for racing? I love mine. It's bomb proof too, which is good if you're new like me and, well, bomb a lot.
    Good luck this season.
    I have been riding about every other day so my bombing all the time period is coming to an end. I don't know if the SC bullit has 8" of travel though. I was looking at the V10 instead.
    When my mom tries to tell me what to do I tell her to SHUT HER HOLE BEFOR I KICK HER IN THE NUTS!

100% Cheesy Goodness

dude

you could always buy my Mtn Cycle Shockwave 9.5.
    hahahaha
    Shameless Spam.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

Master of Custodial Arts

Has anybody...

seen where you can buy a 04 SGS Team frame. There not at supergo yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gnar; 03-21-2004 at 06:56 PM. Reason: addition

9 Lives Baby!

How about...

How about the Santa Cruz VP Free? With a 888 it might be good.

Infinite Power

Idea! $foes$

Quote Originally Posted by Gnar
    seen where you can buy a 04 SGS Team frame. There not at supergo yet.
    Want to get your moneys worth! Invest in the FOES Fly frame. The adjustable rear travle at 6.75", 7.25" and 8.00" and you can put any fork up front to match, I'm using the Shiver DC @ 190mm. It's a downhill frame, but it works just as well in the freeride role. One nice thing about it is you can run a triple chain ring up front if you want or an MRP or a duel like Saint. Mine is set near the image SRAM drive train, Shiver DC fork, Raceface North DH crank, Hayes HFX HD 8" breaks.
    {The only hard day, was yesterday!}

Master of Custodial Arts

Where...

Quote Originally Posted by 9 Lives
    Want to get your moneys worth! Invest in the FOES Fly frame. The adjustable rear travle at 6.75", 7.25" and 8.00" and you can put any fork up front to match, I'm using the Shiver DC @ 190mm. It's a downhill frame, but it works just as well in the freeride role. One nice thing about it is you can run a triple chain ring up front if you want or an MRP or a duel like Saint. Mine is set near the image SRAM drive train, Shiver DC fork, Raceface North DH crank, Hayes HFX HD 8" breaks.
    did you buy yours from. That frame does look pretty sweet. Checked out prices for frame on Go-Ride. Looks pretty pricy. Is it really worth that big of a chunk out of my bank account. Any one else have any feedback on this frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get a real DH bike for racing DH. There is no subsitute. I raced a bullit my first year and it was not a DH bike. It was set up just like my DH bike but it was not the same. The geometry of a freeride/ play bike is a little different. They are short and tight handling. DH bikes are longer for stability at speed. The shock is usually a lot longer stroke giving a much more supple feel. Start off racing beginner or sport. Don't feel like a ***** because you have to race at a lower level. Everyone has to start somewhere right. Don't race expert just because you can do a big jump or a stair gap or whatever. Racing is a different deal. It is all about corners, pacing yourself and bike setup.
    I would say try racing with what you have and see how you like it. If you want a good first frame get an Azonic Eliminator. Cheap and tough. Whatever you get it should be a tough bike. Not an Intense or a Foes. You pound the crap out of stuff your first few seasons racing. Worry about light later.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    How much do you want for the Coiler frame?

Master of Custodial Arts

Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    How much do you want for the Coiler frame?
    but i have a kid at my school that wants to start getting into freeriding and I was going to sell him the frame with the stock Marz. Drop Offs and the brake sys. for about $750. You can tell me how much you would be willing to pay but I doubt you need brakes and the Drop Off.
    Last edited by Gnar; 03-23-2004 at 07:32 PM. Reason: I suck at spelling

Master of Custodial Arts

Moriority...

Quote Originally Posted by Moriority
    Get a real DH bike for racing DH. There is no subsitute. I raced a bullit my first year and it was not a DH bike. It was set up just like my DH bike but it was not the same. The geometry of a freeride/ play bike is a little different. They are short and tight handling. DH bikes are longer for stability at speed. The shock is usually a lot longer stroke giving a much more supple feel. Start off racing beginner or sport. Don't feel like a ***** because you have to race at a lower level. Everyone has to start somewhere right. Don't race expert just because you can do a big jump or a stair gap or whatever. Racing is a different deal. It is all about corners, pacing yourself and bike setup.
    I would say try racing with what you have and see how you like it. If you want a good first frame get an Azonic Eliminator. Cheap and tough. Whatever you get it should be a tough bike. Not an Intense or a Foes. You pound the crap out of stuff your first few seasons racing. Worry about light later.
    I have saved up a good chunk of money and have a budget that I can afford a frame like that. I totally understand what you said about the lower and expert levels. What do you think about the SGS frame up there. Also what is wrong with that Fly frame? I thought it was meant for DH and Freeride and thats what Im looking for.

9 Lives Baby!

Deal

I'll sell you a 2001 Intense M1 for $1200. I have to get rid of it. My friend is getting married in Hawaii in September. I'm going and need airfare $$$.

Infinite Power

Good job! Ummmm...

did you buy yours from. That frame does look pretty sweet. Checked out prices for frame on Go-Ride. Looks pretty pricy. Is it really worth that big of a chunk out of my bank account. Any one else have any feedback on this frame?
    I had mine custom built in Oregon at a place called Fat Tire Farm so I got kinda of a deal on the parts. Buying as a hole unit (the bike that is) I saved around $600.00 off the total cost. It was a one time shot to get a nice bike, and so far it rides great. I'm also think of geting into DH racing this summer. Right now I've been freeriding and DJ'ing the bike to
    tuff'n up. Since my other bike is 28.5 lbs the Foes came to 43 lbs. so I have to get used to the extra weight. Bottom line is the Foes Fly frame is worth the money!
    {The only hard day, was yesterday!}

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have saved up a good chunk of money and have a budget that I can afford a frame like that. I totally understand what you said about the lower and expert levels. What do you think about the SGS frame up there. Also what is wrong with that Fly frame? I thought it was meant for DH and Freeride and thats what Im looking for.
    The fly is a great bike but you wanted to know about a DH race frame. And it really is just a freeride bike. You could race it but there are better options. If you want a bike to do it all, get a Banshee Scream. They are not the ideal DH Bike but I don't think I would have a problem racing mine. It would just hold me back on the really high speed courses. It is cheaper and tougher than a fly. It also corners like a Mofo and is really easy to ride. But on a really rough or fast DH course it would not be like my Tomac.
    The SGS is ok. That type of 4 bar works well like the azonic or the intense. It is built cheap though. The rear ends loosen up and are pretty flexy. But it is affordable and it is a great bike for the money. I think this year they have a new link thing to help stiffen the rear end up. The Iron horse team guys had it last year. If you have more money get a turner, ventana, tomac 204, or even a canfield. My friend just got mountain cycle 9.5. That thing looks sweet too.

Master of Custodial Arts

What about the...

The fly is a great bike but you wanted to know about a DH race frame. And it really is just a freeride bike. You could race it but there are better options. If you want a bike to do it all, get a Banshee Scream. They are not the ideal DH Bike but I don't think I would have a problem racing mine. It would just hold me back on the really high speed courses. It is cheaper and tougher than a fly. It also corners like a Mofo and is really easy to ride. But on a really rough or fast DH course it would not be like my Tomac.
    The SGS is ok. That type of 4 bar works well like the azonic or the intense. It is built cheap though. The rear ends loosen up and are pretty flexy. But it is affordable and it is a great bike for the money. I think this year they have a new link thing to help stiffen the rear end up. The Iron horse team guys had it last year. If you have more money get a turner, ventana, tomac 204, or even a canfield. My friend just got mountain cycle 9.5. That thing looks sweet too.
    Intense M1? My friend has one and seems to love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The M1 is a rockin race bike. If you plan on jumping and hucking it isn't a great bike. They aren't exactly the strongest bikes. A lot of guys I ride with have them. And a few of them have broken them too. On the upside Intense is great with waranty stuff. If you just plan on mostly racing and minimal hucking it would be a great bike. But for that kind of money you could have almost any bike out there. If I were to get a new bike this season I would get the Ventana. They ride really sweet. And the tubular frame is strong, stiff and light. It is also cheaper than an M1.

bored
    I think that the Yeti ASX would be absolutely perfect. I just got mine, and it is absolutely awesome. This is my fourth year riding and my second year racing DH, and I race sport class. My complete bike only weighs around 38 lbs, so it's nice and light, and it pedals incrediby well with the 5th Element. 7.5" of travel is plenty for anyone in sport, and would probably suffice for most experts. Not that a shorter-travel freeride frame is really punishing to ride, but it keeps you from getting lazy and sloppy, like an 8"-9" travel frame. If you can't afford the Yeti (I paid $1100), the Dirtbag would probably be a great choice at $850, or $950 with the 7" travel plates. If you have questions about the Dirtbag, e-mail [email protected]. If you're interested in the Yeti, I can refer you to someone who will probably sell it to you for $1100 (otherwise, ther seem to be going for $1200-$1300). If you can't tell, I very highly recommend the Yeti.

Master of Custodial Arts

That looks...

Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    I think that the Yeti ASX would be absolutely perfect. I just got mine, and it is absolutely awesome. This is my fourth year riding and my second year racing DH, and I race sport class. My complete bike only weighs around 38 lbs, so it's nice and light, and it pedals incrediby well with the 5th Element. 7.5" of travel is plenty for anyone in sport, and would probably suffice for most experts. Not that a shorter-travel freeride frame is really punishing to ride, but it keeps you from getting lazy and sloppy, like an 8"-9" travel frame. If you can't afford the Yeti (I paid $1100), the Dirtbag would probably be a great choice at $850, or $950 with the 7" travel plates. If you have questions about the Dirtbag, e-mail [email protected]. If you're interested in the Yeti, I can refer you to someone who will probably sell it to you for $1100 (otherwise, ther seem to be going for $1200-$1300). If you can't tell, I very highly recommend the Yeti.
    really freeride based to me. Still looks cool though. I have seen alot of those posted here and didnt really know what people thought about them as a DH frame.

Master of Custodial Arts

Any Idea....

The M1 is a rockin race bike. If you plan on jumping and hucking it isn't a great bike. They aren't exactly the strongest bikes. A lot of guys I ride with have them. And a few of them have broken them too. On the upside Intense is great with waranty stuff. If you just plan on mostly racing and minimal hucking it would be a great bike. But for that kind of money you could have almost any bike out there. If I were to get a new bike this season I would get the Ventana. They ride really sweet. And the tubular frame is strong, stiff and light. It is also cheaper than an M1.
    where I could get the Ventana frame cheaper than at Go-Ride. $2250 for the frame is running it some. I can get the SGS World Cup frame with 5th Element and FSA headset for $1500. Would it be worth it to spend an extra $750 if I am just starting. Not saying I am a total newb to fast speeds, cornering and jumps, but I just want to be really sure its going to be worth it. Reallllllllly sure for that much for a frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go-Ride is the best place to get a good deal on any DH Frame. Unless you have some kind of hookup somewhere else. If you are building a whole bike they will work out package deals for you. They will hook you up with all of the stuff that fits on the bike you are building. That is hard to do when you are talking to some mail order lady at one of the big mail order shops like super-go. The Ventana is a sweet bike but it isn't a budget racer. But it is worth every penny of what it costs too. There is so much cool machine work on that bike that I can't believe it is as cheap as it is. For the most bang for the buck bike, I would take the Azonic Eliminator with a romic over the SGS or probably anything else. It is just seems like it is built a little tougher and the price is close to the same. I would stay away from the 5th and get a Romic. The 5th is a great shock but you have to tune it for it to be great. The romic is really easy to tune and is a really good shock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    A lot of the junior experts in our circuit ride the AS-X for DH and MX, as well as dirt jumping and urban. Its a great bike. The top Junior X racers generally finish within 1-5 seconds of the top pros. Most of them ride on the Yeti-RPM developmental team. It would be an excellent choice. However, if you are going to be racing, why not go with the DH-9 by Yeti? The biggest problem with the DH 9 is its a bad shifter.

Johnny Dependable

Go with what you've got for now

I think you should just start racing 1st timer/beginner class with what you've got and see what happens. DH bikes are a very personal decision and are based on a lot of factors like your ride style, body type, the type of course your racing (i.e. tight and technical or fast and hardpacked etc...). After a few races you'll start to make friends with people that have been racing in your area for a while and you can get their opinions on what works best for them and why, and maybe even test ride their bikes. Don't rush out and spend a bunch of money on a frameset for your first race.

Also, if you truly get into racing, you might think about having more than one bike. It's kind of difficult to have one weapon for all occasions. Most racers have a downhill specific bike and a freeride bike for when they want to pedal around with their buddies. Remember to have fun....

my .2 cents

Master of Custodial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBill
    I think you should just start racing 1st timer/beginner class with what you've got and see what happens. DH bikes are a very personal decision and are based on a lot of factors like your ride style, body type, the type of course your racing (i.e. tight and technical or fast and hardpacked etc...). After a few races you'll start to make friends with people that have been racing in your area for a while and you can get their opinions on what works best for them and why, and maybe even test ride their bikes. Don't rush out and spend a bunch of money on a frameset for your first race.

Also, if you truly get into racing, you might think about having more than one bike. It's kind of difficult to have one weapon for all occasions. Most racers have a downhill specific bike and a freeride bike for when they want to pedal around with their buddies. Remember to have fun....

my .2 cents
    Don't really have that kind of money right now. I have a kid that is going to buy the frame and have friends that race. Ryan seems to think he can sell me his 2002 Turner DHR. His team provides them each year and each year he sells last years model. I'm not quit sure if he can though.