Getting over a major injury... Great day- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Getting over a major injury... Great day

Here goes a video clip of a line me and buddy of mine built (I'm on the blue bike). The video is from last year this time.
    In May I had a jump go wrong and I ended up breaking the right side of my face in 4 places. The whole right side was sunk in (it was hot so instead of a full face I was wearing a dirt jump helmet).

Well, being 48 years old, after surgery and 2 months of healing I didn't know if i'd ever mentally be able to shake the willies from that wreck and jump again. I sure wanted too.

I started small, just popping out of dips on the trail. Then built some small, and I do mean small, jumps to try and get my mojo back.

Well, today was the best day of riding I have had since Fri, May 13th.

I was killing this line again and it felt sooooo gooooood!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2cI-fNJeiT0?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Moose Member
    Congrats dude! How come you didnt tell anyone about your crash?

Did you crash after you were working on your whips so hard?

I crashed decently hard on boondocks at N* one day. didnt break anything but i sprained my wrist pretty good. It was in a big rock garden area. Anyway, it got better in about 2 weeks (tennis season didnt help it) and then i got back to N* about a month after that crash. I warmed up like normal, then went to Boondocks. I thought i would just go slow through the area i crashed in, but when i got there, I actually wanted to go twice as fast through it to prove to myself that i was better than it. It was odd, but i hope I'm the same way if i do have a major injury like you.

Congrats on feeling better and getting back out there! keep working on ya whips!

Pivotal figure
    Good job man! Getting through the physical recovery is the easy part, the mental side is a lot tougher (even more the older I get...). I'm just getting back to riding after my 2nd ACL replacement and it's pretty nerve wracking trying to ride anything technical now. Even the mellower stuff makes me cringe a bit. Just gotta stay focused and be smart. Looks like you managed to exorcise your demons though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Now with More Wood
    Well done dude, I know what you've been through, I've come back several times from major injuries, it takes some committment to put yourself back in the spot where you got broken off...

Now go build a river gap at the end of that jump line!!!

mtbr member
    Nice job. Good looking jumps and congrats on beating the demons.

I've just started hitting some things this past month that I was working up to when I crashed and shattered the radial head in my elbow a full year ago.

I'm old so I guess it takes longer.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i now how feels good back on track after surgery!!
    nice ride.
    :thumbsup:
    ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058 View Post
    Now go build a river gap at the end of that jump line!!!
    Ha ha, you can tell you're a trail builder. That sir, is our plan!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Good to know I'm not the only one to be a tad gun shy after a big injury. I guess I needed to start seeing myself make it vs keep replaying that same wreck over and over in my head (apparently that's easier said than done).
    Needless to say, I had a huge case of perm-a-grin yesterday. Can't wait to get out there today.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

9 lives
    Congrats on your recovery and continuing to ride. I liked the video ! awesome skills

I've had my share of major and minor injuries too.

I cracked my cheekbone as well. The most annyong thing was the constant numbness and tingling because of the proximity to the facial nerve. The sensation was annoying. Its taken about 2 years for the symptoms to disappear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

I cracked my cheekbone as well. The most annyong thing was the constant numbness and tingling because of the proximity to the facial nerve. The sensation was annoying. Its taken about 2 years for the symptoms to disappear
    I had to have a couple steel plates put in. Went in through my eye and my gum line. I know the facial numbness and tingling you speak of well. Good to know it will probably return to normal. I can touch my lip and it gives me a tingle near my eye.
    Transition Bank
    Transition ToP
    Transition Covert

Lightly salted
    Good job makig a come back! The mental is probably harder to get over then alot of the physical injuries. Keep it up and be safe.