gemini difference?- Mtbr.com
    e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

gemini difference?

hey... simple question im looking in to getting a gemini and i found a 2003 gemini but its yellow... and when i go onto the cannondale site, there is no yellow gemini
    whats the difference between these?

http://bike4fun.150m.com/

http://cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VG9.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you look down on the color options of your second link it lists Taxi Yellow as one of the color options so it is the same bike. I just picked up an 05 Gemini 3000 in Mocha/Saffron. It is an awesome bike. You might want to make sure the one your looking at isn't the year that had the frame issues, but I think it was an earlier year.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhippie
    If you look down on the color options of your second link it lists Taxi Yellow as one of the color options so it is the same bike. I just picked up an 05 Gemini 3000 in Mocha/Saffron. It is an awesome bike. You might want to make sure the one your looking at isn't the year that had the frame issues, but I think it was an earlier year.

well uh oh..... i hope its not the 03's how can i find out which year is the one with the frame probs... and what kind of probs were they?

mtbr member
    The early frames of 2002 had some probs with the downtube. But that had been solved . You can look at the cannondale site by racalls and you'll find an answer. The probs only appeared at frames with the lage sizing !

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm sure someone on this board knows. Check which year CDale started making Gemini's as I think the problem was resolved after the first year. Cdale had a recall and has significanlty beefed up the Gemini and particularly the rear swing arm since the first few years. I haven't heard of any problems at all since those early ones. After a quick search, I found Gemini's as far back as 2000 and I think they started making them in 99 or earlier so I think you are definitely safe with an 03. By the way, I love the bike so far and the 2000 I demo-ed several times last summer. I was basically a CDale and Gemini hater based on the stereotypes and brand loyalty to Kona and Specialized. One ride on a 2000 completely changed my opinion.
    Last edited by Oldhippie; 02-14-2005 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    the 2003 frame did have the recall for the mistake on the downtube and i own one and i will tell you it its a goob bike and i just love the fork but i would either have the fox pushed or get a 5th element

2003 Gemini 900 ( the one i want to purchase?????)

The nature of the problem is insufficient wall thickness in a critical section of the downtube of some medium and large Gemini frames due to a manufacturing error. This was caused by incorrect mitering of the down tubes of these frames resulting in the removal of too much of the thickest, or "butted", portion of the downtube during manufacture. Removing a large portion of this butted tubing leaves only thinner aluminum tubing at the headtube joint; weakening the frame in the area where the downtube and headtube are welded. This results in insufficient frame strength in this area and the risk of frame failure.

OH COMEON!!!

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55

OH COMEON!!!
    What's the problem here? Just find a shop with a Cannondale rep, or send it to Cannondale and have it checked. If it's got the problem, it'll get replaced. If it doesn't, then you're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by binary visions
    What's the problem here? Just find a shop with a Cannondale rep, or send it to Cannondale and have it checked. If it's got the problem, it'll get replaced. If it doesn't, then you're fine.

i might be getting mixed up... the downtube is the part of the bike that says cannondale? how can i get that replaced? im not buying it brand new, im getting it from someone on ebay

/dev/null
    Quote Originally Posted by themarsvolta55
    i might be getting mixed up... the downtube is the part of the bike that says cannondale? how can i get that replaced? im not buying it brand new, im getting it from someone on ebay
    They don't replace the downtube, they replace the whole front triangle.

As far as buying it on eBay goes... I'm not sure - I don't know if the manufacturer considers a recall to be a "warrenty" situation that doesn't apply to used frames, or if they'll help you out. Might want to email Cannondale.

so oviuosly the metal is to thin and brittle that it just breaks when your hucking? im gunnu email cannondale and see about the warrenty thing

mtbr member
    Or let the guy who wants to sell it check it by his local Cannondale Dealer. It's not a big deal !

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini
    Or let the guy who wants to sell it check it by his local Cannondale Dealer. It's not a big deal !

well i dont want my freakin rig to crack in half.... has anyone had this xperience?