Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...

Sup guys,
    opened a thread a couple of months ago bout the Gambler and then the BOS fork I got. The bikes been ridden hard so i thought i might aswell keep you guys posted on everything.

Gambler:
    Wanted a bike that I could use properly for freeride stuff and proper UK & Alpine downhill. The Gambler is adjustable as hell. 3 Travel settings (190,210, 230), 2 head angles (66,64) and different chainstay lenghts (went for the short).
    I can see why most people think its too many adjustments waiting to go wrong and pointless but they seriously are helpful. The travel settings adjust the whole feel of suspension, 190mm is quite firm for jumps and drops and the 210 & 230 use more of the travel and feel plusher. Adjusting the headangle is great too. For most of the UK 66 is perfect but for the alps 64 felt really good.

Build:
    It looks a flashy build but all parts are very solid. Hope Pro II on Syncros FR rims are holding up great and are fairly light (2300ish) and the Pro II are a doddle to keep running smoothly. Atlas FR's have been holding up really well. People always said they were really stiff but have problems when taking them on and off a few times. Havent had any troubles as of yet. The Magura Louise need a mentioning cause its such an underated brake. From what ive ridden theyre more powerful and feel better than XT's, old saints, Elixirs, Formula k18, Hayes Nine, Juicy 7's etc. I bought the pair for under 200 quid, which is a bargain compared to whats being charged out there. A seriously great brake. MBUK have just done a lab test on brakes and it was up there with Stroker Aces and closely behind The Ones. Other than that, Im a syncros guy in the cockpit and the Muddy Marrys are a great alround pair. Oh and the RC4 is the sex.

Bos vs 2010 Boxxer Team
    Had the boxxer to start off with but I didnt want to put up with the issues they were having. When they were working (boxxers) they were really, really nice. Very supple, tracked the ground well and didnt spike or dive going into corners. The adjustments were useful but it seemed a bit excessive comparing it to the BOS. The bos has the same internals as BOS's double crown fork, its a mini DH fork and thats what it feels like. Unbelievably smooth fork. On par with the boxxer on the roughest tracks ive ridden and its a single crown! Once set up its fit and forget, I havent been near the adjustments where as with the boxxers I was always playing around. The BOS's sit high in their travel which is a huge benefit when hitting something really steep because you can just sit over your back tired and not worry bout the front. Dont really notice the fork at the front which is the biggest compliment you can make.

Overall Ride:
    RC4 and BOS would make any bike ride good but the Gamblers geometry is really sorted, Short chainstays, low BB etc. The bike is seriously tough, its pick a line and just let the bike do the work whilst it ploughs through rocks and roots. The weight is always commented on but the bike feels a lot lihgter than it actually is. Its a really poppy bike.
    The bike weighs roughly 18kg with Single plys, about 18.8 (40lbs) with Dual plys, aint that heavy

Hope the write up aint too boring and you enjoy the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1405.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1477.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1433.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1268.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1465.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1450.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-bild1453.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-04082009108.jpg  

Gambler, BOS, RC4 etc...-champoussin-juli-2009-004.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    looks good man, and glad you are enjoying the bike....how do you like those straitline pedals?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cheers man, love the pedals. The tiogas i have on my hardtail are grippier but prefer the straitlines. Slimmer platform, plenty of grip and real quality bearings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantil3v3r
    looks good man, and glad you are enjoying the bike....how do you like those straitline pedals?
    I've been rocking my Straitlines for almost 4 years and still going strong. One of the best investments I've ever made.

If you think you can
    Damn man, that frame looks good polished!!! Nice looking bike.

Ricky DH
    That bike is sick man!! Looks so much meaner with the boxxer on it.

all your base
    Thanks for the write up! Love the Bos on der front.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Baaaaad Bike

Wish I knew more about BOS products.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Stop it, you are making us jealous! Hahahahaha!
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cheers. The BOS is really nice, shame theyre so expensive though. Luckily I found this from a private seller so I didnt pay anything close to the RRP.

mtbr member
    Nice - the DH10 looks super slick in single crown form

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Your white balance is way off, and that is one sick badmittion racket!!

bike rider
    When did the Gambler get carbon seatstays? Seems like an odd feature for a frame that otherwise doesn't look like the designer was counting grams.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    When did the Gambler get carbon seatstays? Seems like an odd feature for a frame that otherwise doesn't look like the designer was counting grams.
    Always had em on the DH version - saves 150grams or so... I would concur though that the rest of the build is so burly that there is kinda no point lol. Building up a sub 40 gambler is no problem though so they arent silly heavy

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by General Havoc
    Your white balance is way off, and that is one sick badmittion racket!!
    Too much white? I think its just about right And yeah the racket is hella sweet

mtbr member
    The carbon seat stays are stiffer than the aluminum ones. It was done for stiffness and the lighter weight was a bonus not a goal.

mtbr member
    how about the Maguras?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tkul
    how about the Maguras?
    Underrated brake. Better than almost anything ive ridden. Had Elixirs on before and theyre more powerful and have better control too. Havent ridden them in the alps, will in summer, thats the true test for brakes really, if they dont fade their then im completely sold. Still, I dont know why theyre hardly used, very good brake. Id only swap them for Saints, The Ones or Gustavs but theyre considerably more expensive.

Members who have read this thread: 0