Funn 26x48 rims- Mtbr.com

Thread: Funn 26x48 rims

外国人
    Jun 2007

Funn 26x48 rims

anybody have experience with them? i came across them in our local shop and i wanted to install it just for sh*ts and giggles, i don't know about the model but i LOOOVE the "ticking" sound from the rear sprocket kinda like the chris king hubs. thank you!!

外国人
    Jun 2007
    ^sorry i think it should be "48x26" FUNN rim/hub

Professional Troll
    I've got the rear wheel on my DJ hardtail. It is f-ing invincible. I'm about 205lbs, its been on my hardtail for 2.5 years, plenty of botched bunnyhop 360's, drops to flat, cased doubles, etc. The hub is still like new, the rim is more or less perfect after truing once recently. It's heavy though, really heavy.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    thanks for the info gemini, i'm 220lbs with a large uzzi vpx/zokey 66 rc2x/dhx air 5.0 so i guess they should stand up well to harsh/not-so-good freeriding

Slopestyle Rider
    I'm 210 lbs... I ride really hard. Never had to do a damn thing to mine. I have cased 30' doubles, done 20' drops, a botched 720 or two... Heavy but bad ass...

Here's mine slamming into a tree and doing a nice little invert over a hip...
    Attached Images Attached Images

外国人
    Jun 2007
    WOW i wish i could progress to do those things (YES even the tree slamming hahaha). i'm thinking of trying to shave some weight. i might be a retard but would there be any issues if i laced them up to a 36 hole hub? (36 h hub to a 48 h rim). i've tried searching the internet and mtb but all i got were for bmx. has anyone tried this?

many thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia
    WOW i might be a retard but would there be any issues if i laced them up to a 36 hole hub? (36 h hub to a 48 h rim). i've tried searching the internet and mtb but all i got were for bmx. has anyone tried this?

many thanks!

This will not work (36 h hub to a 48 h rim)

≈ > ♥
    If you are trying to save weight, these are not the wheels for you.

I rock the 24x48 version of these on my jump/park singlespeed. Same hubs/rim profile, just a bit smaller diameter.

I was given a set by the local importer, and told to try and break them. Two years later, they are still perfect.

They are invincible. Just not light...

They make that noise because they ship with fook-all for lube on the pawls.
    Pull it apart and lube them up with some Triflow or Finish Line teflon lube before you ride them. They'll still make the noise you like, but they'll be lubed up and good to go! You'll have to lube them somewhat regularly if you use a lube that thin.
    Or, use a heavier lube and not need to do it as often, but make them quieter.

Slopestyle Rider
    They make a 36h Funn wheelset...

外国人
    Jun 2007
    thank you!!

mtbr member
    a bike shop in HI on Maui had the FUNN rims on their Kona Stinky Deelux rental bikes.
    given that many people have used the bike, it was the owners, he told me a story about how he rode down on the rims with a flat tire in the rear (the terrain has tons of lava rocks) and the rim was still true, he just sanded out some of the chips.
    they looked like monsters
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

Locs on Spokez
    Quote Originally Posted by zahgurim
    Is that a ridiculously rare single crown Dorado?
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had the 36 hule Funn rims when I had my IR Sunday. Cheap and completely bombproof. So much stronger than the stock DT Swiss FR 6.1 rims.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    can any one point me in the direction to buy a rear FUNN 48x28 wheel?
    Thanks Chance

StraightOuttaCompton
    i was thinking of getting the rear one for my hardtail so if i case stuff or hit a lil hard it wont matter as much
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Slopestyle Rider
    I heard they don't make the 48's anymore...

Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    I'm 210 lbs... I ride really hard. Never had to do a damn thing to mine. I have cased 30' doubles, done 20' drops, a botched 720 or two... Heavy but bad ass...

Here's mine slamming into a tree and doing a nice little invert over a hip...
    did you slam your head into the back of that landing or was that another guy...saw it in Floatin
    Be at the Rio on June 12th at 7:00pm!

Premier of Sonar!

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by balfabiker22
    did you slam your head into the back of that landing or was that another guy...saw it in Floatin
    That pic was from last years crankworx colorado. The kid who slammed into the landing was from this year.

mtbr member
    they are overkill unless your super-fat and go super-big, super-sketchily i have a 48-26 wheelset that came on my sc jackal decided to save some weight and got some MTX's on pro-IIs so they still ratchet.

The way i see it is if BMX riders don't use 48 holes anymore why should MTB riders? its easier to go smoother on bigger wheels afterall.

The gyroscopic effect of this wheelset in the air makes the bike really stable but even more of an effort to throw about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Metanoia
    anybody have experience with them? i came across them in our local shop and i wanted to install it just for sh*ts and giggles, i don't know about the model but i LOOOVE the "ticking" sound from the rear sprocket kinda like the chris king hubs. thank you!!
    If you don't do anything crazy they are overkill. My old man used them for 3 years and had no dents but it was dh - no crazy ass jumps and crashes.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

Members who have read this thread: 1