Fun with a Turner DHR and a hacksaw, or how I lowered my DHR- Mtbr.com
    Committed

Fun with a Turner DHR and a hacksaw, or how I lowered my DHR

I recently drilled the swingarm on my DHR to lower the BB and slacken the headtube angle. I have read a lot of discussion about this procedure online, and noticed a number of conflicting opinions about what was necessary to make this mod properly. I decided to record the procedure and share my findings with the online dh community. I talked to Turner about the process before starting and received reassurances that they approve of the mod. Knowing how well Turner takes care of their customers, I gathered up my confidence and got out the drill and hacksaw.
    My 06 Turner DHR w/ an 06 Marzocchi 888RC2X had a BB height of just over 14.5”, this was w/ 2.5” tires and the fork as low in the crowns as possible. I wanted to lower the BB to 14”. I talked to Greg & David at Turner and the Maxxis team mechanic about the proper offset for the second hole in the swingarm. For the BB height I wanted, an 8mm offset was required. Kircaldie runs his bike lower (mid 13”) and uses a 10mm offset.
    The mod requires two bits of work on the swingarm. First, the swinglink mount hole needs to be redrilled back (8mm in my case). Second, the material in front of the original mount holes needs to be shaved down for proper clearance of the linkage.
    I started by measuring 8mm back from the original mount hole on the swingarm. I marked the spot to be drilled with a sharpie, and dimpled the center w/ a punch to keep the drill bit from wandering. I drilled the first side of the swingarm, and then used the little axle that the needle bearings ride on in the swinglink as a guide for drilling the second hole. This assured that the mount holes are aligned properly, and was a great tip from the guys at Turner. I found that it was necessary to shave some of the powdercoat to fit the axle further back from the original mounting holes.
    The second phase required a hacksaw. I marked out the material to be cut from the front of the swingarm and went to it. My first cut was not quite the right angle, and did not give the needed clearance. I made a second cut at the proper angle and checked for clearance at full compression (remove shock spring etc). I then took a file and some steel wool to the cut part of the swingarm and cleaned it up. I ended up with a BB height of just under 14”.
    I am very pleased with the way the bike handles with the drilled swingarm. It took me very little time to adjust to the way the bike behaves, aside from needing to be a bit more careful about where I place my pedals. The DHR immediately felt more comfortable in steep technical terrain. Right after I made the mod, we went to a local race and I got a great chance to evaluate the changes in performance. This was a 3000’ descent down old moto trails that were steep and full of deep ruts and loose rock. I was very impressed with how stable and comfortable the bike felt. I could let the bike run more than before, and I was surprised to find that the lower pedal clearance was less of an issue than I had anticipated. When I first started riding DHRs, I noticed that on steep tech trails I had to make an effort to shift my weight further back on the bike than I had in the past. This mod eliminated that feeling, and added a degree of extra confidence in those situations. I like the lower COG for cornering as well; you really feel like you are inside the bike instead of being above it.
    After spending four months riding the modified DHR, I would recommend this procedure to anyone who rides in steep terrain. I have not yet found a situation where I miss the stock setting, although the mod allows for switching between the two mounts.
    I would be happy to answer any questions about the procedure….
    Attached Images Attached Images

Committed
    More pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I hope it will not crack!

clyde in training
    is losing a half inch worth losing the warranty?

Glad to Be Alive
    ol skool trick
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Committed
    When I voiced my concerns about cracks and warranty issues, DT told me not to worry about it. I would not be posting the procedure if it was not approved by Turner.
    In this case, losing a half inch is a very good thing

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Nice posting, the final result look really good let us know how it work for you, what is your
    HT angle now.

Regards

rollin
    that's a cool hop-up. i've read various discussion regarding that mod, but people couldn't agree if it was legit and would work. way to make it official.
    the best part is you can still use the original setting...adjustable.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer
    Nice posting, the final result look really good let us know how it work for you, what is your
    HT angle now.

Regards
    It works great for me and the type of riding I do.
    I don't have a way to measure the exact HA, but it looks to be 64ish.
    It is very slack.

[email protected] NYC Freerider
    Quote Originally Posted by 08nwsula
    is losing a half inch worth losing the warranty?
    a half in goes a long way in bike feel.

-> SickLines.com <-
    you don't loose the warranty

kona-tize me captain
    show me a picture of the whole bike before and after the cut, i wana see what it looks like
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Ricky DH
    Wow, that's gutsy.

dontcha?
    Did anybody actually read his post, he talked to turner and it's a "turner-approved" mod assuming that it will not void the warranty..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    It works great for me and the type of riding I do.
    I don't have a way to measure the exact HA, but it looks to be 64ish.
    It is very slack.
    Way to go, look like you know what you want from your bike.

mtbr member
    64 degs, that's muthafukkin slack....

good drillin' and hackin'

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding
    Did anybody actually read his post, he talked to turner and it's a "turner-approved" mod assuming that it will not void the warranty..
    still hard to believe...I would call him before doing that to my bike
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

PULL
    did you use a drill press?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    still hard to believe...I would call him before doing that to my bike
    He did. If you'd read the post it said he talked to DT himself.

~~~~~~~~
    good work! thanks. nice to hear other people feeling the love of the low and slack.

having spent the last season going lower and slacker (not dhr but hl) I'm hooked, burying the cranks on landings is sometimes an issue but momentum prevails. I've been on the my old rfx lately and have to run the 5 inch rockers with my 66 and it still feels steeper than the highline, bb is probably 13.5 vs. the hl's 14. Been doing lots of riding like this where the rfx setup is sweet, going to trip when I get back on a "high" 14 inch bb .

mtbr member
    Nevermind

keystone addict
    very cool. glad that worked out. Its sweet that Turner is that cool about you doing something like that. Try asking specialized if you can do something like that and keep their warranty

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    did you use a drill press?
    No, I just used a normal hand held model. I used the swinglink bearing axle as a drill guide to align the two holes, the photos show this if you look close. This is a key step because you are screwed if you drill the holes so they don't align.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    show me a picture of the whole bike before and after the cut, i wana see what it looks like
    Before and after.
    I guess I should have had the bike in the same place for before and after shots to highlight the differences more clearly, but I just wanted to go ride it.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    Before and after.
    I guess I should have had the bike in the same place for before and after shots to highlight the differences more clearly, but I just wanted to go ride it.
    Whoah, better lower the nose of that saddle b4 riding, yer boyz'll appreciate it!

i drink shower water
    you probably would not have to do that to a Specialized because the FSR linkage gives 2 options. one for slack or you can move it to steep.
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Ricky DH
    Hey Captain,

My point was that if he didn't do it right, he might have ended up buying a new rear end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hab1b
    you probably would not have to do that to a Specialized because the FSR linkage gives 2 options. one for slack or you can move it to steep.
    Is the first or second setting on the Specialized the CRACK THE FRAME option?

mtbr member
    i like it
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by rep_1969
    Hey Captain,

My point was that if he didn't do it right, he might have ended up buying a new rear end.

yeah sorry, didn't mean to come off as a d!ck..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Did you go 8mm back from the center of the original hole or the edge?
    Got Bike?

Committed
    8mm back from the center of the original mount hole. So, the offset is 8mm center to center.

Canadian Invasion
    Where did u get that sweet white roller on your chain guide? Is it gammut stock?

Now with flavor!!

It kind of looks like it's taking a poop in your yard
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phi.Design
    Where did u get that sweet white roller on your chain guide? Is it gammut stock?
    gammut

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo

It kind of looks like it's taking a poop in your yard
    I hadn't thought of that, but yeah, it does. That's one slaaaack bike.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Phi.Design
    Yeah, stock Gammut guide & roller. The Gammut guide works great and weighs very little. I have been on it for a year and very impressed with it's preformance and durability.

Woo- you always have a unique perspective.....

Members who have read this thread: 0