Full Suspension Singlespeed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Full Suspension Singlespeed

I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if it worked out for them? Pros/cons etc.? Thinking of trying the Yess conversion kit. thanks

mtbr member

If you think you can
    Most of those bikes are old school xc bikes though. Except the brooklin with no chain streach.
    I ran SS on my ironhorse 7 point for a while and then my Turner dhr. It worked better on the 7 point. Must have had less chain growth. The dhr dropped the chain a lot so I went back to gears.
    While I had it set up SS I really liked it. It was lighter, cleaner looking and simpler. I forgot the gearing I had. Maybe 36/18??? But it worked for all the trails I ride. I would spin out a little faster than I would have liked, but I had decent low end speed for exiting turns and accelerating. I got a lot of strange looks and a lot of people asking me about it and hating on it. I'm happy to be back on gears again, but wouldn't be opposed to running SS on another 6" or 7" travel freeride bike. Wish I had pics of it on my phone but I can't find any.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 62kona View Post
    Most of those bikes are old school xc bikes though. Except the brooklin with no chain streach.
    I ran SS on my ironhorse 7 point for a while and then my Turner dhr. It worked better on the 7 point. Must have had less chain growth. The dhr dropped the chain a lot so I went back to gears.
    While I had it set up SS I really liked it. It was lighter, cleaner looking and simpler. I forgot the gearing I had. Maybe 36/18??? But it worked for all the trails I ride. I would spin out a little faster than I would have liked, but I had decent low end speed for exiting turns and accelerating. I got a lot of strange looks and a lot of people asking me about it and hating on it. I'm happy to be back on gears again, but wouldn't be opposed to running SS on another 6" or 7" travel freeride bike. Wish I had pics of it on my phone but I can't find any.
    thanks for you input. I am thinking of doing this to my Iron Horse Six point. Hopefully I can find a kit that will fit the 12 mm axle. what did you use for you 7 Point?

Look at the time!
    you need a chain tensioner that can deal with the chain growth. Doesn't have to be the yesss, any model with 2 rollers will work. Just make sure your chain is long enough for the entire range of travel.

also, you'll need a chainguide. Usually, a upper guide is enough as chain tension will be pretty high and the chain line will be perfectly straight.

if you ride very rough trails, you might need a full chain guide.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs