mtbr member

Full-fingered gloves w/padded palms?

I did a search on this but it ends up with a lot of unrelated results and old threads that link to unavailable products, so apologies if this has been covered to death...

I've been riding a ton of park this season and I think the part of me that's taken the biggest beating is my hands and wrists. I have some really great fingerless gel gloves that I use for road riding, but all of my armored DH gloves have no padding at all in the palms. Other than a few of the Pearl Izumi options that are more like fall roadie gloves, what's out there?

Something like the attached pic, but with full fingers and some protection would be awesome. I know it's not going to make a massive difference but every little bit helps.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 20928
Size:  7.1 KB
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Fatboy
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

"Aah the great indoors - No One Ever"

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Iíve used mechanix wear mpact gloves in the past...not as light as dedicated bike gloves, but nicely padded on the palm, and armored better than most DH gloves.

I just got a pair of Ironclad EXO project impact gloves which look like they should be similar, but havenít had a chance to ride w them yet....

Dedicated bike gloves always seem to fall apart on me. I get much better mileage out of these work gloves....

mtbr member
    I like these:
    https://www.endurasport.com/product/hummvee-plus-glove/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I like these:

I was going to recommend some Endura gloves as well:

https://www.endurasport.com/product/dexter-glove/
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Full-fingered gloves w/padded palms?-fox-racing-ranger-gel-gloves_black-charcoal.jpg

I ended up going with these - fox Ranger Gel:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y1AO18/

Almost perfect, just wish the material near the wrist came up a little further. I'm assuming it's shorter to accommodate a watch.

Other than that they're extremely comfortable and are just what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Good bike gloves went the way with good tires....non-existent...mechanic gloves are what I use....
    Tread killer....

Kick Start My Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsam84 View Post
    Iíve used mechanix wear mpact gloves in the past...not as light as dedicated bike gloves, but nicely padded on the palm, and armored better than most DH gloves.
    I get much better mileage out of these work gloves....
    I am using these as well, but have been hoping for a better choice.
    The Mechanix have great padding, and wear well, but the finger tips are kinda slippery, and they don't breathe well. On a cold ride, that kinda sucks.
    You can't have everything though, and they kick ass on long downhill runs for padding, and hold up well in a yard sale.

Glad to Be Alive
    Been riding specialized BG gel gloves for about 10 years....they work...I like the vents on hot days https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bo...=243651-151216
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've got two pairs of these Endura hummvee gloves. They're a little warm for summer months, but worth having the perfect amount of gel padding IMHO. The gel padding isn't too thick, like some gloves, they're well made and haven't broken down much at all in 1 year of use with a lot of washings! For me, it was difficult finding a glove that would fit my extra long thumbs (XL). In addition, to combat wrist issues, I use Ergon large grips which was a drastic improvement. My wrists used to hurt quite a lot and now with a little shake here and there, they're good...
    I like these:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingkk View Post
    I've got two pairs of these Endura hummvee gloves. They're a little warm for summer months, but worth having the perfect amount of gel padding IMHO. The gel padding isn't too thick, like some gloves, they're well made and haven't broken down much at all in 1 year of use with a lot of washings! For me, it was difficult finding a glove that would fit my extra long thumbs (XL). In addition, to combat wrist issues, I use Ergon large grips which was a drastic improvement. My wrists used to hurt quite a lot and now with a little shake here and there, they're good...
    I have tried many of the other gloves on this list. The Fox Ranger isn't bad, but the Endura Hummvee Plus is just a lot better. The vented material on the sides of the fingers works; I can actually feel air flow there.

The main reason I like them is that the padding feels uniform and smooth under my palm and it doesn't cause a hot spot. Big, tall, blocky pads like Pearl Izumi or some Specialized gloves do not work at all for me. The padding actually causes more discomfort for me than any benefit I might gain from it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have tried many of the other gloves on this list. The Fox Ranger isn't bad, but the Endura Hummvee Plus is just a lot better. The vented material on the sides of the fingers works; I can actually feel air flow there.

The main reason I like them is that the padding feels uniform and smooth under my palm and it doesn't cause a hot spot. Big, tall, blocky pads like Pearl Izumi or some Specialized gloves do not work at all for me. The padding actually causes more discomfort for me than any benefit I might gain from it.
    I completely agree... Nice addition to my comments...

Ricky DH
    Have you thought about maybe changing your grips? Maybe go to a thicker grip.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    One of the most significant improvements I have made in the previous years was to move away from padded and armored gloves to a lighter, better fitting glove with little to no padding or stitching on the palms.

I've gone through maybe 8 or 10 pairs of the TLD Air Glove in the last 8 years, I make a habit of buying a new pair every opening weekend of Angel Fire from their shop. Sort of a personal ritual.

I tend to find that the padding and stitching overlays bunch up and causes bind spots on my palms, extenuating the problem. The TLD Air are one solid piece of leather for the palm with some glued on plastic that inevitably wears off about half way through the season. I tried riding without gloves for a while but I end up getting blisters after a while. The minimalist glove approach has been great for me!

Edit for link:

https://shop.troyleedesigns.com/air-glove-solid

mtbr member
    I second the grips suggestion in a big way.

Had a gnarly crash in the spring and bruised my palm so badly I couldn't ride for two months. In that time someone suggested wolftooth fatpaw grips since palm bruises can take so long to heal. I bought a pair and was sort of like, "Meh... doesn't really help a significant amount, as far as eliminating the pain of chatter on my hand."
    BUT
    I left them on the bike and went to the park after the hand was healed and was hugely impressed with how much they helped with crab claw/hand fatigue, and arm pump. That was on my enduro bike. I then brought my dh bike which still had my regular grips and was immediately struck by how much faster my hands got worked, even with more suspension. Got home that day, and ordered a pair for my big bike. Don't think I'll ever go back to regular grips. They feel a little weird to start with because the diameter is larger, but as soon as you point it downhill, you won't even think about them. They are sticky, tough foam, and do get little chunks taken out of them when you crash, but I can't see needing to replace them for a couple years, and anyway, they're less than $25 bucks.
    Chicanery is a good word.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    I second the grips suggestion in a big way.

Had a gnarly crash in the spring and bruised my palm so badly I couldn't ride for two months. In that time someone suggested wolftooth fatpaw grips since palm bruises can take so long to heal. I bought a pair and was sort of like, "Meh... doesn't really help a significant amount, as far as eliminating the pain of chatter on my hand."
    BUT
    I left them on the bike and went to the park after the hand was healed and was hugely impressed with how much they helped with crab claw/hand fatigue, and arm pump. That was on my enduro bike. I then brought my dh bike which still had my regular grips and was immediately struck by how much faster my hands got worked, even with more suspension. Got home that day, and ordered a pair for my big bike. Don't think I'll ever go back to regular grips. They feel a little weird to start with because the diameter is larger, but as soon as you point it downhill, you won't even think about them. They are sticky, tough foam, and do get little chunks taken out of them when you crash, but I can't see needing to replace them for a couple years, and anyway, they're less than $25 bucks.
    Well that's a hell of a pitch! I just ordered up a set for my DH bike. I run Rogues on everything now and am happy with them but anything that helps alleviate crab claw/tired hands towards the end of long park days is definitely worth a shot. At $31 shipped including a set of bar plugs it's a pretty cheap gamble anyway.

Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    my pleasure! hope you get as much from them as much as i do.

mtbr member
    How is the durability on those Fat Paw grips?
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    How is the durability on those Fat Paw grips?
    I will answer my own question. Picked up a pair right before a 7 day Whistler trip. Conditions were cold/rainy 4 of the 7 days. Rode all day with gloves soaked and covered in sandy grit.

Grips held up just fine. No crashes, so can't report on that aspect of durability, but other than looking slightly more ragged on the chamfered edge of the grip, they look like new.

Grip in the wet seemed pretty good, but I did get more hand/forearm fatigue/soreness on the cold wet days because I was gripping the bars tighter.

Otherwise, nice and comfy. I'd say they are more comfy than my Oury non-lock-on grips in the rough.

As expected they are fat, so I wouldn't recommend these if you have anything but large hands or like thin grips. I wear XL gloves, and definitely wouldn't want anything fatter, and wearing thicker gloves was problematic.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post

As expected they are fat, so I wouldn't recommend these if you have anything but large hands or like thin grips. I wear XL gloves, and definitely wouldn't want anything fatter, and wearing thicker gloves was problematic.
    Interesting... I wear medium gloves and love the grips. got 'em on my dh and enduro. apologies for not directly addressing your question. I assumed I had answered the durability question in the previous post. glad u liked them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
    Interesting... I wear medium gloves and love the grips. got 'em on my dh and enduro. apologies for not directly addressing your question. I assumed I had answered the durability question in the previous post. glad u liked them.
    No worries. I must have glossed over the last sentence of your post that mentioned the durability. So, far, I'm pretty happy with the grips. Thanks for the recommendation.
    No dig no whine