FSA Pounder crankset, link to info...?- Mtbr.com
    Infinity-1
    Feb 2004

FSA Pounder crankset, link to info...?

The left crank on my IR SGS came off after a stair set and I am trying to figure out what I am missing and how to put it back together....Obviously, it was not on tight. I thought I had tightened everything down well enough after getting the bike.....I can post some pics if someone wants to let me know how to put it back together after I get a look at some of the digrams and determine what I am missing and what I still have.....Thanks.

Greyeye

Former Noob Herder
    its just like any other ISIS crank, the arm is held on with a bolt and washer. I'm guessing you never tighten your cranks; they shouldn't simply fall off!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004
    Brand new bike and I thought I tightened everything up before riding....Anyway, I assume that if all I have is the crank arm, I need to get a bolt and washer....Do these need to come from FSA specific for this crank or will a generic ISIS bolt and washer from the LBS work? Thanks.

Greyeye

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyeye
    Brand new bike and I thought I tightened everything up before riding....Anyway, I assume that if all I have is the crank arm, I need to get a bolt and washer....Do these need to come from FSA specific for this crank or will a generic ISIS bolt and washer from the LBS work? Thanks.

Greyeye
    LBS should have it. If you bought the bike assembled from the LBS, then I would biatch and moan telling them it was their fault for not tightening it.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    LBS should have it. If you bought the bike assembled from the LBS, then I would biatch and moan telling them it was their fault for not tightening it.
    well, maybe. Cranks frequently need to be tightened after the first ride. Also if he's mixing and matching cranks and BBs (ie. a non FSA BB), this is usually a no-no with ISIS because the tolerances between makers are usually different and can cause such problems.

Also that crank bolt probably fell off long before the cranks did, or else they would of felt very loose for awhile before falling apart.

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004
    Unfortunately, as I am learning, I bought it mail order. Got a good deal but I have been chasing a lot of loose ends and have had to re-do a lot of thier very sloppy setup. I should have thought about the cranks in my overall tune-up...Anyway, my LBS is not a freeride shop and probably does not have an FSA stuff in stock. The bottom bracket is also from FSA I am pretty sure, is the stock BB. Is the final answer that I should get FSA parts and make sure the are within tolerances or just go with the LBS bolt since the BB should match the cranks? Thanks for the help.....

Greyeye

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    . I'm guessing you never tighten your cranks; they shouldn't simply fall off!!!
    If it only was that simple !!! I've been trough 2 sets f FSA cranks in the past month because of that same probleme....... watherver I did it still cams loose after 2 miles!!!

And I did match the cranks and BB.

They were FSA aterburners for the first one and Vdrive Extreme for the second

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mista D
    If it only was that simple !!! I've been trough 2 sets f FSA cranks in the past month because of that same probleme....... watherver I did it still cams loose after 2 miles!!!

And I did match the cranks and BB.

They were FSA aterburners for the first one and Vdrive Extreme for the second
    what did FSA say about it? sounds like some manufacturing issues...

ISIS tapers suck....

Infinity-1
    Feb 2004
    If the FSA Cranks are the problem, to keep my E13 Bash/Tensioner, should I get a two ring set with the same bolt pattern? Hopefully, the FSA are not the issue and I can tighten them down with a new bolt from the LBS and things will be good...If not, what is a good crankset with same pattern? Thanks.

Greyeye

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    what did FSA say about it? sounds like some manufacturing issues...

ISIS tapers suck....
    Don't know what FSA said but my LBS changed them for Shimano XT's. He said he'd never seen that.... don't they just always say that....

I'm not a light guy (115 Kilos) so that may be an agravating factor

But I have to agrre ISI sucks. My old square taper lasted me ages....

Trying those new out-board beraings now.

Has anyone noticed hawo flexy the new shimano XTs are? It is to the point that on jumps it bangs my chainstay on my chameleon (Yes the Crnkset is professionaly fitted)

I guess I'm gonna give another visit to my LBS .....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Don't know what FSA said but my LBS changed them for Shimano XT's. He said he'd never seen that.... don't they just always say that....

I'm not a light guy (115 Kilos) so that may be an agravating factor

But I have to agrre ISI sucks. My old square taper lasted me ages....

Trying those new out-board beraings now.

Has anyone noticed hawo flexy the new shimano XTs are? It is to the point that on jumps it bangs my chainstay on my chameleon (Yes the Crnkset is professionaly fitted)

I guess I'm gonna give another visit to my LBS .....

Anyone here using a torque wrench when installing their cranksets? Torqueing to manufactures spec's?

Flexy XT's? Jumps - Shimano's cranks, Saint's aside, are designed for XC use.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Anyone here using a torque wrench when installing their cranksets? Torqueing to manufactures spec's?

no kidding on both counts. People NEVER read their manuals. The splined BBs need to be bottomed out on the crank unlike square taper where it was "just really tight". If you dont do that, you can ruin the interface (especially ISIS since its a tapered spline) and they wont ever be proper again. Sorta like ovalising a headset so it'll never stay tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keen

Fited by LBS with torque wrench and secondly when I say Jumping is actually mean a bunnyhop....... XC or not, it should hold to bunnyhops wouldn't you agree.

Former Noob Herder
    Fited by LBS with torque wrench ...
    i do my own work, you cant always trust an LBS