FSA headset question- Mtbr.com
    Is flexy

FSA headset question

I have the big fat pig headset on my bike and am looking for replacement bearing but I want to use sealed instead of the ones it usually uses. My question is wether or not I need to replace the entire headset or if I can just but sealed bearings. The next question is if I can just replace the bearings then which do I use? I am all confused since I have never used a headset that redusec the 1.5" headtube to 1 1/8 steertube before. Thanks.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

FSA has a web store with all the headset bearings and parts you need.

I don't think you can use different bearings. The whole idea of the Pig is that it uses really big caged bearings for strength instead of sealed ACB bearings. You would need a new HS if you wanted to go sealed, because your lower cup has bearing races. The sealed bearing cups don't have races, the bearing is pressed in instead.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by njhcx4xlife
    I have the big fat pig headset on my bike and am looking for replacement bearing but I want to use sealed instead of the ones it usually uses. My question is wether or not I need to replace the entire headset or if I can just but sealed bearings. The next question is if I can just replace the bearings then which do I use? I am all confused since I have never used a headset that redusec the 1.5" headtube to 1 1/8 steertube before. Thanks.

Is flexy
    Thanks for the info. I guess my next question is will the fsa orbit xtreme pro work? i know it is for a 1.5 headtube but not sure about steerer tube diameter. I get confused with the whole 1.5" headtube thing. If the orbit won't work then what sealed headset would work with 1 1/8th steerer tube? thanks again

Bikes Rule
    You want the DH Pro version of that headset.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Orbit Xtreme Pro 1p5r (the "r" stands for reducer and allows a 1.125" fork steerer) is your best bet. I have one on my 7p7 and it works well, but I wish it used ACB bearings instead of regular cartridge bearings for better durability. Oh well.

The Pig DH Pro is an excellent headset, but not available in 1p5. The Big Fat Pig is what you have if you have a 1p5r headtube and a 1.125" steerer.

Quote Originally Posted by Demo-9
    You want the DH Pro version of that headset.

Members who have read this thread: 0