Front Shifter Alternatives?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Hope Front Shifter Alternatives?

The bike I have on order currently has no front derailluer but I am planning on putting one on and wondered if anyone has come across alternatives to having a front shifter. I quite like the idea of running a very short cable to the front derailluer and reaching down and pulling a cable (or similar) to change gears.

The reason for this is I like the less clutter on the handlebars with having only a rear shifter and brakes (have this setup on my DH and Jump bikes).

The areas I ride don't call for shifting between granny and middle-ring often hence I'm not worried about the conveniance of it that much and more about the less clutter (and lighter weight) something like this would provide.

I will be running a dual-ring setup with a chainguide.

Nothing turned up in a search so I may have to go ghetto unless someone has some advice

X-POST

I heart bikes
    Jan 2004
    I have seen trials riders attach a friction shifter to thier seat tubes.
    www.suckcreek.com

Old No. 7
    Just run a double ring up front w/ no shifter, when you wanna put it in the granny gear just put the chain down by hand.
    You'll prob drop your chain a bunch in the rough stuff though.
    Is an extra shifter really that much clutter????
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

Meh.
    I think Envy makes an inner plate that fits between the granny gear and middle gear. It helps prevent the chain from dropping.

You can't just pull the cable, the cable has to be held in place, or the spring tension will pull the derailleur back onto the granny gear. I've seen some downtube mounted shifters.

Why even bother with a second gear? Just go single ring and a 11-34 cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks like some sort of old school shifter on the downtube might be the go.

Realise that you can't just pull the cable and expect it to stay - was thinking more a long the lines of pulling it and having some sort of way for it to lock then release by pulling up a little and letting go.

I've seen the envy plate that you can run but the trouble with that design is you have to get off your bike to put the chain back into the middle-ring.

The other reason for wanting less clutter on the handlebars is that I like to run the shortest bike I can get away with and another shifter is just another thing to smack my knees into.

Members who have read this thread: 0