Front Fork - What should i get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Front Fork - What should i get?

Brand new to DH and just took the plunge and got a used 2011 Trek Session 8, here's the deal; it came with a 170mm Marzochi Bomber, I can get the original Boxxer rc but i've heard its not that great, which is why the old owner switched it to the Bomber. I can get a good deal on a '12 Fox 40 or a '12 Boxxer WC, but this would add quite a bit cost and not sure if i'd really feel the difference.... Should i just but the Boxxer rc on it, i kinda feel that i'm missing out on some of the handling (geo change from the smaller fork) and performance from not having a full 200mm fork on it.

Any thoughts out there?

Overwhelmed in DH land.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Why not just keep the bomber? If the guy replaced the boxxer rc on it, why would you go back to the rc?

mtbr member
    get the old Boxxer back or buy the 2012 40

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What year bomber? Some zokes run big, so it may have the same a2c as the boxxer, plus that buttery smooth zoke feel.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    '09 Bomber
    '11 Boxxer RC

i'm just not sure if i want to drop the dough on a new fork (even though i can get a great deal on it) .. but would like the more relaxed angles a longer fork would provide.

RideDirt
    Keep the rc and get a cartridge kit from Avy ! I think both forks are more then enough if your just starting out .
    Last edited by aedubber; 06-04-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Stand back
    (paid) Spam - buy my 888 with Avy cartridge already installed...
    Last edited by dbabuser; 06-04-2012 at 01:30 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    An 09 Bomber (is it a 55 or 66) is better than a 2011 Boxxer RC? I have the 55 and although I've done some work on it (and even sent it to the factory for a coil upgrade), it's still not as good as my 08 Boxxer, which have the skinnier stanchions. I suspect the seller wanted to keep the longer fork for another project but if he's willing to sell it to you for a great price, then go for it. The longer Boxxer will also slacken your head angle and save you from "oh $h!t" situations more than you'll ever know.

the discerning hooligan
    I don't know anyone personally who was unhappy that they spent the money for a Fox.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Now with More Wood
    The Boxxer RC is plenty enough fork for somebody starting out, and it's pretty much set and forget as well, doesn't require a lot of maintenance. I would definitely get it over the 170mm Bomber, just to get that extra travel (geo won't change dramatically as the Zocchis are really tall already). The bike was really built around the dual crown, you are short-changing yourself running that shorter travel fork. And you DON'T need a 2012 Boxxer WC or 40 - you can ride that RC for years, it's a good fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'd get something over that fork. IIRC the 09's still had some issues after switching factories, 10's and 11's were when they started to get back to their old glory.

Buy it sans fork if he'll sell it that way, and spend the money on an older Boxxer, Fox, or Italian 888, or 2011 or newer 888
    Just another redneck with a bike

RideDirt
    Spend your money elsewhere or save it when you break things on the bike . I dont know how you ride but from your last thread about mcbp and the trails you listed , you dont need a wc or 40 for those trails . I hit the expert double black diamonds with my RC and works just fine and most of the single black diamond rocky techy sections and im not a very smooth rider either lol .

I know its cool to have a top of the line fork, but there is a problem with that. If you dont know how to properly set it up/tune it then your not getting your money out of it or you can just make your riding worse .

If you can get both forks with the bike , i would slap in the boxxer, sell the other one and with that money , get the avy internals that are custom setup for your riding and weight and be done. Will feel just as good as a WC. Or you can spend the money on some good tires , proper cockpit setup etc. Just trying to pass on what i have learned as a beginner myself .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    2012 fox 40 is the way

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasnt the frame designed around an 8" fork?

Why was the All mountain or light freeride fork put on a downhill race bike? I wouldn't put a 888 on my Enduro. Doesn't make sense to me, especially if its a 55. Maybe the 66.

I personally would put an 888 or Boxxer with at least rebound and compression adjustments. I wouldn't get the 40 or the Boxxer WC UNLESS I got a great deal. The OP mentions he can get a deal on one of these forks, so it would depend on how good the deal is.

Wanna ride bikes?
    .....I didn't know there were rear forks...

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by konejius View Post
    2012 fox 40 is the way
    You mean 2013? Or you ordered a 2012?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    Front Fork - What should i get?
    i feel like you might be better off with a rear fork...

(edit: sniped by LUNCHBOX, sometimes it pays to actually read beyond the OP)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There were rear forks so to speak years ago. couldn't find a better pick of the back, basically was the same as their forks apart from the crown

DownhillBAWS
    fox 40

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I can't wait to get rid of my Boxxer R2C2 for a 40. I've probably just had bad luck, but that thing has given me issues constantly over the 3-4 months I've owned the bike.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Members who have read this thread: 0