Front end height: Low=better?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Front end height: Low=better?

I've wondered this for quite a while. Is having a lower front end better for just downhilling? All this talk about 0 stack headsets and A to C measurement sometimes confuse me. I know that typically Marzocchi forks have a higher A to C.
    I have a Demo 7 2 with a 66 rc3, 0 stack Sunline headset. Azonic B-52 handlebars. About an inch of spacers, and i run my stem (thompson 4x) all the way at the top (spacers underneath). I mainly trail ride and freeride with this setup. Im wondering if putting the spacers on top of the stem would make sense for DH.
    I guess the question is does lower always equal better for DH and higher is better for FR? What is the advantages
    Would the lower front end be ok for FR?
    I'm GNARcissistic

moaaar shimz
    Lower tends to corner better and it is easier to maneuver, just think of a Chopper bike.

squish is good
    I think it more depends on the balance of the bike. Too low and you have to shift your weight back, too high and you have to lean on the front end like crazy. When I ran a Zoke fork I cut the steerer tube as low as possible to get the bars in the right position, with my Manitou and Magura forks I leave about a half inch to an inch of spacers on top to get it to feel right. It depends on your ride, fork and personal preference IMO
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I think the demo needs a low bar height for FR or DH due to the slack head angle and short rear end. If you hang off the back too much due to a high bar then you won't get enough weight over the front for hard cornering. If any bike needs a low bar it is the Demo, IMO.

≈ > ♥
    Higher bars generally make it easier to get your front end up.
    Great for FR, not wanted/needed as much for DH, where a lower bike = a faster time.

check your six
    huh,... for downhilling I like a taller front end. Maybe it is just me, but steeps = lean back, and with a taller front end, it is less leaning back. For me at least. I also like the short front end for free riding and urban. The shorter front end makes it easy to corner and control. Again, this is only my opinion.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

local trails rider
    I suppose it is a matter of preference.

I like my bar low. I think my short legs may affect that preference a bit. A high bar makes me feel I am high above the bike.

mtbr member
    my personal preference is to run my bars as low as the bike will allow.
    Team _________

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    shorter front end like tacubaya mentioned allows you to pump through the berms or anything pumpable in the course for speed. Also much easier to weight the front wheel for turns.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I could really change my height to the DH I'm riding. I can lower the front end for a fast flowy, bearmed course and raise the handlebars for freeriding. Sweet. Thanks again.
    I'm GNARcissistic

mtbr member
    Helps to keep the wheels on the ground too. Also helps to get over the front when cornering. Low lets you pump it... as already mentioned.

All of this is a matter of DH sizing. What I mean is the distance from center of bb to center of handle bar. A shorter distance allows you to snap out of corners, sprint, really rip the bars off at the start, and manage the pump of terrain(via the hips). When you effectively lengthen that distance, higher bars, higher stem, longer stem, larger frame, longer top tube...etc... you are making that ability to make it less responsive.

Now all this mumbo jumbo is really personal preference. One bro is the same size as me, arms, legs, torso... but insist that he needs things larger than me... larger frame, higher front, longer cranks. Then another bro is shorter by 2" and he runs nearly the same set up as me.
    Last edited by wyrm; 04-21-2008 at 02:19 PM.
    Bikeless Rider

FM
    mtbr member
    Gotta consider bottom bracket height too.

High bottom bracket + high bars = OK
    Low bottom bracket + high bars = not so good
    High bottom bracket + low bars = not so good (worst?)
    Low bottom bracket + low bars = OK (best?)

Members who have read this thread: 1