Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Front deraileur gouging chainstay on 06 Colier D

576 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
Is it common for front deraileur to gouge your chainstay on big drops? I've just noticed that my new Coiler has a nice gouge right below the front deraileur on chainstay where it looks to be hitting if the suspension were conpressed. I don't think the deraileur is set to low and I have adjusted sag for my weight. Thanks!

#3 ·
It's prob. chain slap, but to make sure you can take the spring off your shock, re-mount the shock, and cycle the rear triangle through all it's travel and see if indeed the front D is hitting the chainstay.

#4 ·
As Fred said... Make sure it's not suspension which might cause extreme failure at the worst possible moment. If it is the deraileur, you might need to get a smaller cage model or do some modification to your present one.

If it's chainslap, go to Radio Shack and get a spiral phone cord and wrap your chainstay front to back. You dont even need zip ties, just tie a half hitch on each end and you are set. It's easy, and you can get phone cords in stylish colors too!

Peace,
Marc

#5 ·
Xam said:
Is it common for front deraileur to gouge your chainstay on big drops? I've just noticed that my new Coiler has a nice gouge right below the front deraileur on chainstay where it looks to be hitting if the suspension were conpressed. I don't think the deraileur is set to low and I have adjusted sag for my weight. Thanks!
I have an '06 coiler, and when I built the bike, it seemed like I had to put the front der as high as I could to avoid this. Like the chain was just about rubbing the bottom of the cage, and I even rotated it slightly, but now I don't have any contact.

It seems like there's not a lot of room, but you can adjust it to get clearance. Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.