Freeriding or Hucking?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Freeriding or Hucking?

I was wondering where you guys think the line is between freeriding and hucking

I should get in about 2 month my new boxxer equipped M3. That is what most ppl call a DH bike not ment for freeride because of geometry (i dont care) and it cant take as much abuse as a freeride bike (i care a little more)

I dont think doing drops with good landing(FR) is harder on a bike than hitting a rock garden at 30 mph (DH) Ive landed 15' gaps as smooth as butter on my hardtail. BUT doing a 15' drop to flat is not freeriding , its just a stupid way to destroy your bike and your dumb self (HUCKING) I also have a friend that do almost only dh and will not do any flat drops but he keep destroying his bike like no one else on dh courses cause hes a freaking hucker. So i think the ppl that ***** about boxxers that cant handle freeride are huckers and to make sure i dont destroy my next bike ill ask you when do you think stuff becomes hucking. I personally think that anithing that feel worst thant a 5' drop to flat is asking for trouble

dontcha?
    Isn't hucking a verb and freeride/ing an adjective? Don't think you can really compare the two..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    to me once FR turns to hucks is like once normal drops turn into red bull rampage type drops
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    in my post Freeriding is a verb. If it didn't exist as a verb before i invented it just now

dontcha?
    haha well I would think that hucking is part of freeriding..
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    There is no line as "freeriding" is subject to different definitions. "Hucking" is a part of freeriding in such a definition that fits that type of riding just as "jibbing" is another component of the catch all FR phrase.

Basically free riding is more agressive trail riding and anything that is not a time related competition. So you can huck, jib, do stunts, session, dj, or what ever while freeriding.
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

I wish I had...
    I was wondering that too.

PiL
    I steal your mail.
    in the end, it's still mountain biking, no matter how many different names you slap on it.

it's all about how you ride your bike.
    Is this where I type my signature?

rhd
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    drops to flat are cool......mostly cause you can find them a LOT easier than you can find a drop to a good tranny
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse
    I dont think the frame, shock, fork, rims, drive train, handlebars, tires and stem would hold up very well but that kickstand looks pretty burley.

Glad to Be Alive
    to huck is to freeride
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

TNC
    noMAD man

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by X-Vert
    There is no line as "freeriding" is subject to different definitions. "Hucking" is a part of freeriding in such a definition that fits that type of riding just as "jibbing" is another component of the catch all FR phrase.

Basically free riding is more agressive trail riding and anything that is not a time related competition. So you can huck, jib, do stunts, session, dj, or what ever while freeriding.
    Freeriding is the major category. Hucks, stunts, drops, and all the other non-traditional activities outside of trail riding, XC racing, and DH racing are pretty much freeriding. Labeling a lot of the different stuff we do on and with our bikes isn't a bad thing. It helps us communicate better when we read bike related material or when we talk with each other...like on the internet.

Now with flavor!!
    Depends on what stem you have.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Glad to Be Alive
    isn't hucking freeriding
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

PiL
    I steal your mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    Depends on what stem you have.
    Is this where I type my signature?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hucking doesn't destroy Boxxers, crashing destroy's Boxxer's. And drops and jumps to a good landing is part of DH also. True that 15' to flat isn't the smartest thing, but people can do what they wish... As long as I don't have to take them to the hospital

mtbr member
    hucking is sick...the flatter landing the better...uphill landings are the best though
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

clyde in training
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    hucking is sick...the flatter landing the better...uphill landings are the best though
    I agree. I sometimes don't even look for a drop, but instead just ride as fast as I can into a vertical wall.

When in doubt, go faster
    hucking is a bart of freeriding.

Glad to Be Alive
    freeriding is hucking

mtbr member
    I can see SMT is adding a lot to this thread?

mind you, neither am I.... I'll go away now.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionBuddy
    I was wondering where you guys think the line is between freeriding and hucking
    To personify it: Bender is Hucking, Simmons is Freeriding. Both can hit the same hits, one does it with style and sticks it, the other flails and bails....
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Members who have read this thread: 0