Freeride Fork!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Freeride Fork!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Freeride Fork!

I am getting a new fork for my freeride bike.I will be doing north shore type stunts,and some downhill and djing here and there.Most likley is dry or damp grounds.I weight 120lbs but will beef up soon(working out all summer).I am a very agressive rider.I have a budget or $1000 so i can get a fairly good fork.

My Top Contenders:
    Boxxer Team
    Slider Plus

any other suggestions?Please give a reason of why you like one fork better than the other, or just simply why you like it and any personal experiences..Thanks a lot in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noopy
    I am getting a new fork for my freeride bike.I will be doing north shore type stunts,and some downhill and djing here and there.Most likley is dry or damp grounds.I weight 120lbs but will beef up soon(working out all summer).I am a very agressive rider.I have a budget or $1000 so i can get a fairly good fork.

My Top Contenders:
    Boxxer Team
    Slider Plus

any other suggestions?Please give a reason of why you like one fork better than the other, or just simply why you like it and any personal experiences..Thanks a lot in advance!

888. I have one on my bike and have been very pleased with it up here on the north shore. Also have had Super T's, not a bad fork, too bad they dont make em anymore, forces people into the 888.

I like the marzocchi's as they are so easy to work on, and are very durable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    id have to go with the 888vf...is this worth the extra money over the other two forks?

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    super t or the RC or fox DH 40

Youngbuck
    Yeah 888s probably best.Slider wouldnt be bad either, I dont like Boxxers thats for sure.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

Now riding Fox Shox!
    Jan 2005
    Dont get the 888vf. It sucks - there are no adjustments. I would go for a super t because they arent too expensive.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I would go with the 888. Marzocchi makes kick but forks, look at all the pros that use em.

Meh.
    Boxxers suck. Internals go to crap after like a season. 888s are tall though, so be sure you get the drop clamps. Performance is spot on though. The Sliders are pretty light and I like how they feel. If you want to go the SC route... Marzocchi 66vf. It's like a SC 888.

Glad to Be Alive
    2004 Super T for your weight or even if you are under 160 lbs. You don't need a big fork
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

lurker
    Apr 2004
    go for the team or slider

lurker
    Apr 2004
    i need something nimble,quick turning,and can absorb little bumps

i dont really like the super t-it looks top bulky and big

lurker
    Apr 2004
    i forgot to state i was also looking for the same type of fork..but i need it to be what i said above^

Who are the brain police?
    Zoke 66RC is a good contender. A lot of beef for a single crown...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    super t (03 better than 04) or 66. don't use anything vf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoredad
    second that. VF anything really sucks hard. IF you're gonna spend more than $700 might as well push the extra buck and get the goods. WTF is Marzocchi thinking putting SSVF damping into their expensive forks? That's total BS, it shouldn't even be an option.

I personally think the 888 is going to be too much fork for a 120 lb guy. He would be better off with a sherman slider, 04 super T, or 66rc. They should be way more than enough fork for a guy as light as him. Too bad there's limited options for long 160mm + travel single crown forks. Next years Marzocchi 66rc is going to be the benchmark for single crowns to come. I'm really stoked on possibly getting one of those for an extreme dual suspension build. 2006 66rc + Intense Uzzi VPX = my dream bike setup.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by shoredad
    They actually have no Difference in performance, therefor the '04 is better with more tire clearence. 03's only have 2.4

Super T's are sweet, and would fit your riding perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by MicroHuck
    second that. VF anything really sucks hard. . WTF is Marzocchi thinking putting SSVF damping into their expensive forks? That's total BS, it shouldn't even be an option.
    For OEM purposes, and for people like me, who don't really downhill. Why spend the extra $ if you dont need to? But if you're doing anything related to racing and/or downhill, stay away from SSV/SSVF
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member

My Top Contenders:
    Boxxer Team
    Slider Plus

I would get the a) Fox 40 because someone i know has one and they love it b) Marzocchi 888 RC just look at all of the pros that use it c) Sherman Slider SC or DC My friend has the SC and he likes it a lot. You might have to put stiffer springs in it though

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    o yeah,by the way this will be going on an imperial.right now i am think either the slider + or boxxer u turn(because of the adjustable travel)i like the idea of 5 inches for urban/dj,6inches for trail riding,and 7inches for freeride/downhill..sound good?

mtbr member
    o yeah,by the way this will be going on an imperial.right now i am think either the slider + or boxxer u turn(because of the adjustable travel)i like the idea of 5 inches for urban/dj,6inches for trail riding,and 7inches for freeride/downhill..sound good?
    The Boxxer ride with Uturn has crappy damping.

The 2006 models will have motion control though, so those might be the ticket. Motion control is without a doubt one of the most adjustable and best feeling damping systems on the market.

The super T is going to be much more reliable than anything else you can afford. Just bust the $500 for a new 2004 model and call it good. I've seen guys crash the crap out of them and they don;t even flinch, very strong for the weight. Plus the sup T looks killer!

pwn3rator
    get a futher muckin' shiver, forget those piece of crap 888s...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

lurker
    Apr 2004
    will the 2006 forks be available by christmas time?

Got Doubles? Pun Intended
    Mar 2005
    Why are soo many people advocates for dual crown for for freeriding???

I say go with the 66rc.
    I'm a big fan of the weight saivings and turning radius.
    There's nothing better than a huge cross'd up flatty.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pamela Anderson

"Freeriderizzle is soo haut right now"