Freeride bike for 5' tall 11year old: Part II- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Freeride bike for 5' tall 11year old: Part II

My son is looking to upgrade his Kona Manomano to a bike more suited to freeride / "light" downhill. He's 11, and about 5' tall with about a 30" inseam. That presents a problem, as there don;t seem to be many FR/DH bikes with a standover that low. His Kona is a 14" frame, and fits very well, but it's too XC for him (we live near Vancouver, and XC just isn't kool with the kids here!).

In reality, it's not like he'll be riding North Shore trails or Whistler every weekend, so I'd rather see him with a more All Mountain / FR bike, as being only 85lb, a DH rig would just be overkill, and he'd hate it when he wanted to ride some trails, or climb.

Thanks to everyone who responded with advice for my question regarding a new bike for my son (as above).

After reading your responses, and talking to seasoned pros at the local North Shore bike shops, we've decided to go the hardtail freeride / dirtjumper route, for a few reasons...it will cover the dirt jumping and around town curb-jumping etc that he does 60% of the time, and as the the LBS guys said, learning to ride the North Shore on a hardtail will make him a better rider in the long run. Plus it won't weigh more than half his body weight!

So....next question! He's looking at the Kona (in particular the new 5-0, with the "bent" top-tube design) and the Stuff, as well as the offerings from Giant, Specialized, Norco. I don't see a whole lot of difference in the spec's between all of them, mostly Marz Dirt Jumper or Bomber 55 forks, the wheels, cranks and drivetrains all seem similar.

Any advise or sage wisdom? There are a lot of killer deals on 2007's out there right now, especially on the Kona's and Norco's I've seen.

I guess I'll cross post this to the DJ forum as well, but we don't really want a skate park bike, more the freeride hardtail variety.

Thanks again!

StraightOuttaCompton
    maybe a IH Yakuza hardtail. They have 5-6" of travel and are a good all around bike. It is bulletproof.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Transition double would be a great bike, if you're willing to spend that much. (ebay?)
    http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/Double.cfm

It can handle pretty much anything you throw at it, there's pretty much no way that your son could outgrow the bike skill wise, unlike a hardtail IMO.

Freetard.
    Transition Vagrant, if you want to freeride.

I Rock!
    i am 14 and 5 ' 3" i just got my first bike (riding friends bikes) i got a specialized enduro fsr small i like it... very fun and fast bike. a little big for me. i rode a friends kona hardtail. that was a good bike fit me perfectly when i was about 5'. i would go with one of those

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have an attraction to Kona hardtails. their nice and simple.

Big Test Icycles
    I would go and talk to Dennis and Allen in Revolution Cycle. They are going to be carrying Transition soon. The Vagrant is a sweet frame. They will treat you well.

mtbr member

Revolution Cycle

Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    I would go and talk to Dennis and Allen in Revolution Cycle. They are going to be carrying Transition soon. The Vagrant is a sweet frame. They will treat you well.
    Actually....we live in Vancouver now, but I know the guys at Revolution. Good shop.

I guess it's time to change my profile!

Big Test Icycles
    LOL, I figgured you were a Canuk with a name like JLR. And a fellow Edmontonian too. SCTV was the best thing going. If your in Vancouver go south to Oregon, no tax and you'll save some bucks. Another great place is Drop N Zone in Bellingham. I can hook you up with a good shop if your ever in Oregon

mtbr member

Bellingham

You're the first one that seems to have caught the SCTV reference! Loved that show too! We just moved to Vancouver after 25 long cold years in Edmonton, and are loving it! Year-round riding, what a concept!

I'm probably going to Bellingham next weekend actually, so any suggestions you have would be great. I've been to one shop there, but can't recall the name.

I Rock!
    are you going to shop? or ride?

Big Test Icycles
    http://www.dropnzone.com/index.cfm

Check these guys out. Ask for Allen, he owns the place. They are up on the DJ/urban scene and are Transition dealers. I think they just moved in to the new place so they may not have a big selection yet but they are great to work with. If you order a raw frame they will get it painted any color you want..

mtbr member

Re: Are you going to shop?....

Quote Originally Posted by newbie-matt
    are you going to shop? or ride?
    Maybe both!

Any opinions on the Specialized P3? There's one on ebay that has some good bits on it. Not sure if the Fox RLC 100 is a good fork for freeride / DJ, but maybe considering my son's weight it wouldn't be an issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

I Rock!

Good job!

ya i would really try a small bike but with full suspension i like full better then hard tail. the reason why i asked why you may go to bellingham is because i live in lynden. funny huh? any ways if a small bike is still to big but a 24 tire in the back it helps in a lot of ways. not sure how much help i have been but ok.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just bought a used Kona Scrap about 3 hours ago. Its set up as a single speed and I'm really digging it. I haven't had a chance to go for a real ride but riding around on the street it feels like it has a very nice geometry and that it is built well. I say you should check those out, especially if you're already a Kona guy as it is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

dropnzone

another vote for dropnzone, they are in bellingham now and have a huge selection..from what I hear they are one of the biggest Transition dealers if thats what your after. They just built a small bottlerocket with 24" wheels for a girl that was right at 5'0 tall and it looked like it fit pretty well when I was in there..check them out. Lots of other stuff also.

Members who have read this thread: 0