Free Riding in PERU - with pics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Free Riding in PERU - with pics

What does Free Riding means?

Maybe it means to ride your bike free? Out of the trails? Find your own lines?

Everywhere you have trails for mountain biking and they are built perfectly. It's very difficult to find obstacles that's why you have to go free riding out of the trails to find the jumps, roots, drops, etc.

Sometimes the trails are boring because it's very similar to ride on a paved road. Too much work on those trails I think. Maybe for XC bikes it's ok but if you are the person who likes to RIDE YOUR BIKE AND USE THE SUSPENSION AND BRAKES you have to go free riding.

In Peru we also have some of those XC trails and good ones, but as we are in the middle of the Andes, our geography is ROUGH. In addition we don't have trails made for mountain biking. We ride Inca trails with more than 500 years old and I think that the Inca's didn't thought a wheel will pass over those trails.

Now that free riding is in a boom, the Inca trails are the best trails for freeriding. You will not find a Inca trail that is smooth, maybe a couple of sections on the whole trail. As the Inca trails were made more than 500 years ago, they are rough and if they are located on the Andes that is rough too, the result is a very demanding and challenging trail. Perfect for our free ride bikes.

Close your eyes for a second and imagine riding your bike through these trails and transport your body 500 years ago: the result is that you will be riding on the Inca Empire Trails. Trails made of solid rocks, incredible architecture and sometimes crossing some Inca fortress or just Inca houses.

In these days the scene is similar. Deep into the Andes, near Cusco, you will find the best trails for freeriding and lot's of Inca constructions on the way. Some of them were partially distroyed by the spaniards but where we ride seems that the spaniards didn't pass. Incredible Inca constructions on our rides every day. Just the Inca trails are amazing. The way they build these trails on the mountains tell us that they have a good sense of architecture and they put thousands of hours of man work on them.

I want to share this recent pictures of my last trip in Lima, Huaraz and Cusco because I think they are like a treasure I took for all the MTB community.

Don't doublt to choose Peru as you next MTB vacations!

I want to thank the guys and ladies that joined me on these tour: Lorraine Blancher (2006 World Masters DH Champion), Daamo Skelton, Ruth Ritchey, Nathalie Grether, Robbie Bourdon and Richie Schley.

ride the best Inca trails in Peru: www.inkasadventures.com

mtbr member
    looks coo. but it seems that alot of it would be riden steps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paintballeerXC
    looks coo. but it seems that alot of it would be riden steps
    Yeah, these DH / FR trails have a lot of steps. The XC trails are quite smoother.

Im a Cowboy
    Yeah...I took my hardtail to Peru 5 years ago..didnt meet another mtber...I was there a month

...Step??...yeah, that lot in one of the last pics looks familiar, was it near ollantaytambo?
    I remember one very long set that had me at terminal velocity on the last quarter, no way was I hitting the brakes.....still dont know how I hung on

On another note, I really hope they dont open all areas to riding, some things need protecting.
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    Cool! I must go there in the future.
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

Glad to Be Alive
    looks cool but so far...I also wonder about the bandits
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Proud lame eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Aren't you a Pirate? And are Pirates not superior to Bandits?
    Why you worry about petty little bandits smt!
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOne
    Yeah...I took my hardtail to Peru 5 years ago..didnt meet another mtber...I was there a month

...Step??...yeah, that lot in one of the last pics looks familiar, was it near ollantaytambo?
    I remember one very long set that had me at terminal velocity on the last quarter, no way was I hitting the brakes.....still dont know how I hung on

On another note, I really hope they dont open all areas to riding, some things need protecting.
    Those last pics are in Maras. Do you remember the Inca salt mines? This trail passes next to the salt terraces. In Ollantaytambo there are great trails also. I like to stay in Ollantaytambo. The narrow Inca streets are unique. The Megavalanche DH trail is also very close to Ollantaytambo. The next race in March seems to be very attractive. Remember that the descend is from 4,350 meters to 2,800 meters. Looong way down.

See you in March?

mtbr member
    no bandidos on the mountains!

"Its All Good"
    Wayo, I dont stop thinking about the fact that I was set to go..... %$^^^$%%@% to the Canadian company that cancelled.....

Sweet stoke, will get there at some stage....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Internal14
    respect...land/sea
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Im a Cowboy
    March Eh?.. I just have to return one day, it wont be next year, but it will be hopefully the next
    Ive been around a bit, but Peru just blew me away...the altitudes took a toll,(I developed a love of the tea) but man was it worth it..its beautifull

mtbr member
    That's why you go in groups. I have a friend on Peru who has told me how you have to speak there in orther to be "familiar", anyway I speak spanish, I'd just need a pirate weapon though
    voycaminandoenlacallemirandoalasmuchachas mirandoalasmuchachas hayunasrubiasgraciosasmorenashermosasypreciosas

Im a Cowboy
    I rode alone and never felt at threat over there, but a word of advice...if a local starts chasing you in the andes, dont even bother trying to get away....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOne
    I rode alone and never felt at threat over there, but a word of advice...if a local starts chasing you in the andes, dont even bother trying to get away....
    Just give everything! Your bike, your packpack, your shoes, your favorite freeride shirt and shorts and your helmet, all your money and credit cards. Now you should be fine! XD

Im a Cowboy
    ......hmm maybe you misconstrue my meaning......found no bandits, but if you did, you would NOT outrun/ride them at 14000 ft .....they have lungs like zepplins in them there parts

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    looks cool, yeah those downhills definitely look like they have some steps in them

I rather be cycling...

... and if we just ... ninjas

Quote Originally Posted by Internal14

Pirates are superior to Bandits, but NINJAS are superior to Pirates...

sea / land / air

anywhere, anytime
    Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

StraightOuttaCompton
    sick pics, i want to ride there.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Is that you rockin' the Wotan? Major props man.

I can't wait until I finish school and have the money/time to travel and ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayodh

for some reason I love that picture, looks pretty badass

nice pictures overall. Maybe one day when I become rich. Ha.
    '05 p.2
    tryin to have fun on a college budget, and doin a pretty good job of it

Just roll it......
    Cool post.

Talk about chicks that rip. Daamo and Lorraine are the sh*t! Lorraine was talking about this trip in September and I was soooo jealous of her.

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    Cool post.

Talk about chicks that rip. Daamo and Lorraine are the sh*t! Lorraine was talking about this trip in September and I was soooo jealous of her.

Cheers,
    EB
    haha yeah! they are super cool and extremly good riders. I passed a good 25 days riding here in Peru with those girls. Maybe the best 25 days ever?

Members who have read this thread: 0