Free Riding with a HT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Free Riding with a HT

i was wondering how many peoople free ride with a HT, and what bike they have. and if they would rather have a FS bike or not

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    SC chameleon and soon the jackal. i love HT, but i will probly get a fully soon..

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    now is it easyier on HT or FS

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Riding a hardtail is a good way to hone in on your skills.
    I'm losing my hardtail pride, though I am still proud of the things I am able to do on a HT.
    Dual suspesion, however, is like sitting in a LayZ Boy recliner, while a hardtail is like a plastic patio chair.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I ride an 05 Norco Bigfoot. I like HT because were I live you have to pedale everywhere, there are no DH's so for me a HT makes more sense. I have rode DS but I prefere a HT over a DS.

HardTail Pride

yo mama
    i have a giant rainier in my area there is not much need for fs so the ht does me just fine
    if you dont cheat death everyday you are not living to the fullest

mtbr member
    May 2004
    i ride a kona HT and i love it. i like being able to feel more of the stuff im riding over. i like riding HT but soon enough i will be buying a FS. i think FS will give me alot more confidence when im riding.
    !

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

totally different

Quote Originally Posted by MTBdave
    i was wondering how many peoople free ride with a HT, and what bike they have. and if they would rather have a FS bike or not
    experiences. Nobody can say with authority that one is better than another, fs & ht both have their advantages & disadvantages. Tho, as far as all-around use is concerned, I'g say that a ht would usually be a bit more versatile. Personally, I go back and forth, often times for months at a time I'll ride one, then switch when a new perspective is in order! check it:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I mean this in no sarcastic way but do you actually ride with a waterbottle in that cage? I was wondering this because I was considering putting one on my HT for those long rides to the FR trails.Thanks skinnyhippy

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

Yes I do

staying hydrated is key to a good ride, especially a long one with lotsa pedaling. And, I gotta bring water for my pooch. Anyone who thinks a water bottle is lame because it's "XC" is an idiot.
    "...his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

soulrider
    Nov 2004

love em both

although i have neither at the moment. grumble grumble stupid warrenties taking too long. I love both my HT and FS. i have a Mountain cycle rumble with a 130 mm fork. Its great for just about everyting, and i love to roll the downhill on it because it is a medium frame and with me at 6'4" i can throw it around like a bmx. If its super rocky i like my FS. The HT is considerably better for jumps, and i think its better for any drop under 10 feet sometimes more depending on the tranny. Now for my other bike. I have a 2004 Norco Shore. Its a large and the wheelbase is huge. This makes it kind of hard to manuver but i feel invincible on that thing, it pedals ok too. So what i am saying is get both, or one, it doesnt matter because you will have great times either way. oh and if you get a hardtail, dont feel like you cant do something because of your ht, just stay smooth and you can land almost anything a FS can

Kill that $hit!
    To start out, I've been an avid HT rider and lover for the better part of 15 years. In fact, I used to think that everyone on a "squishy" bike were a bunch of pu$$ys because they needed suspension to ride the same stuff that I was riding, (HUGE drops asside). That was until I actually GOT a FS bike. There are no words to describe the feeling of blasting down a hill on a FS bike. I can ride faster, go bigger, and my confidence level is off the hook because of the thing. It's seriously night and day between a HT and a FS bike. I guess it all depends on the style of riding you wanna do, but if you can, get one of each.

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    I was not being sarcastic skinnyhippy. I asked you because I like the idea.

soviet pride
    ya i ride an HT simply because i cant afford an FS yet. After riding my HT downhill all the time, i finaly tried my friends fs and found that it makes all the difference in the world. I was goin twice as fast and i aslso hear that if u ride an HT for a while (especially downhill) u become a more fluid rider in general and when u switch to FS u become significantly better. As fro street riding and trials, U cant compare a FS to an HT because HT is much more versatile in that type of scenario. I'm plannin on buyin a FS soon hopefully
    im all about midget drops

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I have very little to add. One thing that is important is figuring out where in your riding skills you currently are? A hardtail will force you, in my ways, to have your skills perfected before progressing onto bigger and scarier things. If you don't have it together, you hurt. You might not like the idea, but in a long run it will make you a very skilled rider. A full suspension is forgiving. Depending on a bike, more or less, but forgiving, nevertheless. On one had, you can accelerate the progression of your skills, on the other, you can get yourself in some deep $hit because you attempt stuff that you have no business trying. Finally, having both, a full suspension and a hardtail is really great, because you can use the inflated confidence of a full suspension to attempt stuff, then use the unforgiving hardtail to perfect it, then back to the FS and so on.

_MK

Clever Slogan
    Jun 2004

I know you weren't being sarcastic...

Quote Originally Posted by JRuss
    I was not being sarcastic skinnyhippy. I asked you because I like the idea.
    but there are some amongst us who operate in a counter-intuitive manner. My 'idiot' comment was not directed at you specifically, rather, it was directed towards those who will suggest that a water bottle on a fr bike is lame. You'd be surprised how often I get those jabs...

I love RIDING!!
    Dec 2004
    ow ok I c, ya some people need to take a hike