Free ride fork... on a budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Free ride fork... on a budget

I currently have a manitou 6 (100mm of travel stiff as a b**** pos). My cousin just got a Psylo XC U-Turn for 229 of pricepoint.com which is a KILLER deal, but i am a big kid 190 lbs at 6'2", and the Psylo just seems really really soft. What should i get for my new hard tail? I am on some what of a budget i would like to keep it under 325. Give me your opinion on the Pyslo as well. Thanks
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

Just roll it......

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Get a Marzocchi Z1 FR

Supergo is selling them for $344 right now.....and I'm sure other folks are as well. A Psylo is going to be undersprung for you. You might need to get firmer springs with the Z1 at your size (check with marzocchi on their recommendation for you), but that's an option. I was riding with a guy yesterday on a Z1 with a Big Hit and he was doing some very impressive things with it....and he weighs 240 lbs. I also have a lot of other friends that are riding those shocks and they all love theirs.....

EB

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The Z1 rocks... but it is sort of pricey... i mean it will be lets say 550 for the Banshee (if i get it) and 350 for the fork.
    Thats $900

I am broke after that.
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

mtbr member
    The Z1 FR is i very good fork. i have the 20mm thru axel version and I think it is very good. Also the sherman flick would be good. stay clear of the psylos. If you cant afford that i would get a Marz DJ
    www.hope.co.uk

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The shermans are awsome... but they just cost too much. The best deal i can find on a z1 is $344, and the best deal on a sherman is 450. Anyone know of a better deal on the Z1?
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrupt
    The shermans are awsome... but they just cost too much. The best deal i can find on a z1 is $344, and the best deal on a sherman is 450. Anyone know of a better deal on the Z1?

you could always try the classifieds.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

T.Dot Represent

id say check out a DJ

Djs are great all around forks and are nice and stiff, othere then that got for a sherman or Z.1 all will work great for you!
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I currently have a manitou 6 (100mm of travel stiff as a b**** pos). My cousin just got a Psylo XC U-Turn for 229 of pricepoint.com which is a KILLER deal, but i am a big kid 190 lbs at 6'2", and the Psylo just seems really really soft. What should i get for my new hard tail? I am on some what of a budget i would like to keep it under 325. Give me your opinion on the Pyslo as well. Thanks

Man if you cant go over that budget save up for a bigger budget and get a sherman. Shermans are *****in. And if you cant go for that i would go with a Dirt Jumper.

good luck with that one

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Which sherman... and what is a decently priced DC fork (by decent i mean a cheaper one)
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Shiver but that is still as expenisve as ****

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    grats on the usful bit of info matt... everyone know shivers are expensive.. i am looking for decently priced stuff. If anyone knows anything on a pretty good fork that is a goo deal the info would be appriciated. Thanks
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

just along for the ride
    I'm hammering a oversprung '03 fox Vanilla-r and at 210+ I can't bottom it with a yellow spring, only 270$, but now still to be had at 300 and its as stiff as a zoke, I'm running a solid axle. If you crash a lot best get a z-1 20mm!

mtbr member
    I say go for the Psylo. I am 5' 11" and 200-210 pounds, I just got an 03' psylo XC it looks like a great fork and you can always put in stiff springs if you need. I will probably replace it this summer with a Sherman or a Zoke

Just roll it......

Pyslo's gonna be undersprung and isn't terribly confidence inspiring.

So I guess it depends on what you're REALLY gonna do with this fork. I mean...my opinion is a little skewed due to the folks that I ride with. No offense to the last poster, but if you're really gonna FR this fork, then you want to ride something that inspires confidence and the Psylo is not that fork. The last thing I want to worry about during a gap, step down, etc. is whether or not my fork is gonna hold up for me.

Minimums for a good FR fork, IMO, are 32 mm stanchions (do you want something that's gonna feel flexy when you land big jumps?), 20mm axle, oil-coil for plushness and it should be easy to work on. I live in the Pacific Northwest so having a fork that's durable is almost always my #1 consideration when looking for something new....hence my Marzocchi recommendation. I can tell you those things are plenty burly. If you're gonna dirt jump, then you should get a dirt jumper since those will be more progessive in their stroke, but if you plan to FR, then a Z1 is a better option for it's plushness.

After all of that "Marzocchi love" I just gave, here's a great deal on a 2003 Sherman Slider 6" fork. I haven't ridden one of these myself but folks really like it. Merry Xmas...you're not gonna find a better deal on a fork than this (just make sure the large setup will fit your frame first). I'd call Banshee or Manitou first before purchasing.
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=378

Cheers,
    EB

just along for the ride
    Don't discount a Vanilla with a solid axle great ride at 20+ mph and light for the ride up. Nothing big but very capable on the trails if sprung right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    So I guess it depends on what you're REALLY gonna do with this fork. I mean...my opinion is a little skewed due to the folks that I ride with. No offense to the last poster, but if you're really gonna FR this fork, then you want to ride something that inspires confidence and the Psylo is not that fork. The last thing I want to worry about during a gap, step down, etc. is whether or not my fork is gonna hold up for me.

Minimums for a good FR fork, IMO, are 32 mm stanchions (do you want something that's gonna feel flexy when you land big jumps?), 20mm axle, oil-coil for plushness and it should be easy to work on. I live in the Pacific Northwest so having a fork that's durable is almost always my #1 consideration when looking for something new....hence my Marzocchi recommendation. I can tell you those things are plenty burly. If you're gonna dirt jump, then you should get a dirt jumper since those will be more progessive in their stroke, but if you plan to FR, then a Z1 is a better option for it's plushness.

After all of that "Marzocchi love" I just gave, here's a great deal on a 2003 Sherman Slider 6" fork. I haven't ridden one of these myself but folks really like it. Merry Xmas...you're not gonna find a better deal on a fork than this (just make sure the large setup will fit your frame first). I'd call Banshee or Manitou first before purchasing.
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=378

Cheers,
    EB

Whoa that sherman kicks butt.
    My FR consits of stairs to stairs, stairs to flat, 7+ft drop offs minimal djing and lots and lots of gaps. I am getting the Azonic Steelhead frame... i hope that sherman fits
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    oh darn... i just looked at the sherman slider and it is 7lbs! Will i be able to tell that big of a difference between the 5lb z1 or the 7lb sherman? (will it effect me that much do you think)
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Stay away from the pyslo, that thing is the defenition of peice of sh*t, that fork completely blows.

check out www.greenfishsports.com they are selling sherman fireflys for 300 right now, they are to soft stock so buy an extra heavy spring for 20 bucks and you'll have a killer freeride fork for your hardtail, check out that site soon because im sure the forks are going fast. good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    www.greenfishsports.com is where i found the sweet sherman slider deal, i just want to know if i will notice how heave it is or not, or if it will make up for it in the amout i can pre-load before my jumps and stuff. and if it will even fit in the Azonic Steelhead head tube. Thanks
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

Buckle Up
    www.greenfishsports.com is where i found the sweet sherman slider deal, i just want to know if i will notice how heave it is or not, or if it will make up for it in the amout i can pre-load before my jumps and stuff. and if it will even fit in the Azonic Steelhead head tube. Thanks
    The 03 slider is not 7 pounds, its more like 6.3. I got mine at www.greenfishsports.com and it is perfect for what I use it for. And the price is simply amazing, I was looking at getting a Z150 before the slider but I cant justify spending 650 bucks on that fork, sure it does have travel adjustment to lower the fork down, but the weights are about the same (i think the Z150 is actually heavier)
    <><

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    how big does the headtube need to be for the slider? and what is the normal... 1 and 1/8 is normal right?
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

Buckle Up
    how big does the headtube need to be for the slider? and what is the normal... 1 and 1/8 is normal right?
    The slider is a standard 1 1/8 inch fork
    <><

Just roll it......

Either the Firefly, Z1 or the Slider...

You won't go wrong with either one of those. One of my good buddies (who's about 190 lbs. and goes big) has an Azonic Saber that he swaps two forks out on: the Sherman Firefly and a Super T. He can do most everything on his Firefly that he does on his Super T. That thing is super burly and I have to give Manitou credit for putting together a solid all around fork that can also throw down.

If you're more concerned about what the weight is gonna be, then you should think more about the Firefly or Z1......but if you want to have something that will allow you additional room to grow, then think about the Slider. There's no question that the extra inch of travel will come into play at some point in your biking evolution.....it's just a matter of when. Plus, a dual crown kicks ass!

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. I think the Slider is more in the mid 6 lb. range...but you should talk to other owners about that (sounds like Wheelieman's isn't quite so heavy).

Buckle Up
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    You won't go wrong with either one of those. One of my good buddies (who's about 190 lbs. and goes big) has an Azonic Saber that he swaps two forks out on: the Sherman Firefly and a Super T. He can do most everything on his Firefly that he does on his Super T. That thing is super burly and I have to give Manitou credit for putting together a solid all around fork that can also throw down.

If you're more concerned about what the weight is gonna be, then you should think more about the Firefly or Z1......but if you want to have something that will allow you additional room to grow, then think about the Slider. There's no question that the extra inch of travel will come into play at some point in your biking evolution.....it's just a matter of when. Plus, a dual crown kicks ass!

Cheers,
    EB

P.S. I think the Slider is more in the mid 6 lb. range...but you should talk to other owners about that (sounds like Wheelieman's isn't quite so heavy).
    Ive got to admit, I havent weighed my fork, but multiple sources have told me 6.3 lbs. Pretty darn good for a dual crown fork. The firefly would also be an excellent choice, I would suggest anything manitou.
    <><

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is the DC fork going to look goofy/ mess up the geometry of an 18" Azonic Steelhead?
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For the money, I'd go with the Sherman Firefly ($299 at Performance Bikes). I have 2 Z's1 and absolutely love them. 6' - 7' to flat and buttery smooth. If $350 is too much for you go for the Shermans.

VIA
    banned

Z1 or DJ1

If you go to Ebay,PinkBike or the classified here you can get a very good deal with that money...
    S.E.A.R.C.H.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by duc135
    For the money, I'd go with the Sherman Firefly ($299 at Performance Bikes). I have 2 Z's1 and absolutely love them. 6' - 7' to flat and buttery smooth. If $350 is too much for you go for the Shermans.

The z1 FR is just as much as the Sherman Slider DC... i think i am going wiht the z1 just b/c it weighs less. I have to comprimise strength for weight so i can keep doing the gaps.
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

mtbr member
    i've never ridden a steelhead, though i'm thinking about getting one, but it's made for 4-5" forks, and i think it'd feel more comfortable all around with the 5" z1. that'd be my choice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I asked the bike shop guy, and he said the Z1 will fit me better, and that the DC sherman slider is a great deal, but i would do better w/ the z1 w/ what i do.
    Ride to Die.
    Die to Ride.

rockin the mid-west

jr.t with super t internals

ya I would look for a 02 jr.t and drop in some super t internals. so price would be.
    the price of the fork+125 to 225 depending on if you want to put in just one cartrige. will =
    plush fork under 750
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing