frame choices- Mtbr.com

Thread: frame choices

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

New question here. frame choices

im looking at a few different frames the, glory, the blindside, and the demo 8. The demo is the most expensive then the glory then the blindside. The glory has maestro, the demo FSR, and the blindside just has a single pivot with a swing link. What are your thoughts on these frames

thanks for the input

Will to Win
    best bang for the buck, Blindside.
    race, Glory.
    destroy and tear down the trails, Demo 8.
    2008 Transition Dirtbag Custom
    2003 Schwinn Moab 2 Singlespeed

mtbr member
    i only have one point to make... the back end on the demo is unbeliveably HEAVY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    i only have one point to make... the back end on the demo is unbeliveably HEAVY!
    do you say this because of the linkage system?

mtbr member
    yes the hole back system it realy heavy and it very noticeable when ridding

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    do you think the glory would be fine for some freeride, id assume it would be because its a somewhat heavy frame

Freetard.
    They would all work just fine for freeride.
    If you get a Ti spring, the Demo's back end is lightened considerably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Those cables on the Socom look flexy

The Beaver
    The back end of the demo is NOT noticeably heavy. It is a sweet bike and a really durable bike as well.

I vote DEMO!!! (Check the sig)
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    i know that the demo is realy strong and durable but i can not ride it as it feels like a tank aigenst my patriot (not saying that my patriot is weak, it also is a very strong bike but it has a lot less weight, and i know this isont supose to invole patriot, so just ignor, i am just covering my back)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The back end of the demo may be heavy, but the whole frame of the glory is really heavy.

EDIT: Also, why do you say the glory is more of a racer than the blindside? The BS is slacker and lower than the Glory.

The Beaver
    Demo is one of few bikes that is equally capable in DH as in FR. Depending upon how you build it up, it can be better suited for one over the other. You can change the Bottom Bracket height, head angle and seat tube angle with the flip of a link.

I have been riding this bike almost everyday for the past two-three months and here are my impressions.

Cornering-mostly relies upon the riders skill, but this bike feels more capable than the others that I have ridden.

Steep/steep with braking-there is NO brake jack... suspension stays fully active under braking forces.

Rocks/roots-AWESOME... it eats them up and remains stable

Jumping-somewhat hard to simply hop around on (like my Transition double)... but on actual doubles or actual take-offs it is (again) one of the better performing big bikes I have ridden.

Drops- I fully trust this frame... which is what matters to me during a drop.

Over all this bike is screaming at me to go FASTER!!! no matter what the terrain or conditions. I wish I had pictures to demonstrate these things, but alas there are not many (any) riders in my area.

EDIT: some of these factors are due to my build, but I think that the frame is equally to blame.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Will to Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover Nick
    The back end of the demo may be heavy, but the whole frame of the glory is really heavy.

EDIT: Also, why do you say the glory is more of a racer than the blindside? The BS is slacker and lower than the Glory.
    EDIT: I did NOT say the glory is more of a racer than the blindside, both are awesome DH bikes, tho the BS is considerably more economic than a Glory frame and therefore best bang for $$$. The Glory is sold as and race-ready Dh rig.

mtbr member
    JEDI! or can diggle
    My Sponsor House

"I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i've been on my blindside for about a week now. i recommend it to anyone. i have the floater on it so suspension stays active. It jumps amazing. it's pretty cheap for what you get. It's super fast and i just enjoy it immensely. It corners amazing and it looks way sick. I personally like it better than the demo. I can't say much for the glory. Oh btw my blindside weighs in at 45(888, full deity, codes, revolution wheelset) and it feels alot lighter. the bike is super balanced. its just amazing

Will to Win
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    JEDI! or can diggle
    if you got the $$$

jedi:2600$/Frame
    can diggle: 2300$/frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for all the input, anymore thoughts on the glory

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    JEDI! or can diggle

mtbr member
    Having never ridden a glory or blindside, I am biased towards the Demo since I have a Demo 7. However, I have ridden a Transition Gran Mal (the older precursor to the blindside) and I liked that as well. Here are my riding impressions for the Demo and the Gran mal.

Demo- Great descender, square edged hits simply disappear. I can corner really well with this bike, this bike has helped push my progression level to new heights every time I ride. It just wants to keep going faster and faster. It feels pretty neutral in the air and definately likes to go bigger than I'm capable with right now. But if you want to go uphill you'll want to shoot yourself in the face after about five minutes aboard one of these.

Gran Mal- simple single pivot, really liked the versatility of the setup (lots of ways to change travel/geometry/ shocks), pedaled surprisingly well, climbed surprisingly well too, descents were pretty fun but I just didn't feel like the bike was pushing my limits like the Demo. Maybe this would be a better bike for someone with a higher skill level than I have, in that I mean that someone with a higher skill level might be able to push the bike's limits better (it just felt kinda blah to me sometimes). I found the BB a bit high, apparently on the Blindside they've lowered it a bit. I also found the Gran Mal to be a bit long, the Blindside is supposed to be a bit shorter and more nimble.

So there's my opinios, take them with a grain of salt of course. If you're on a budget, the Blindside is pretty darn sweet. If I was on a budget the Blindside would probably be my first choice for a frame...

StraightOuttaCompton
    hey, i personally like the blindside. it is cheap and looks good too. the other choices are very good too. stab for me son.
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    hey, i personally like the blindside. it is cheap and looks good too. the other choices are very good too. stab for me son.
    it is the cheapest of them all and it does look good, but how does it perform compared to the others.

The Beaver
    I like how everyone thinks the Blindside is a single pivot frame... there are four pivots?

A lot like this frame (minus the lower linkage)

I am NOT trying to start a war over suspension design... but I don't think the blindside is a single pivot.

I have a double (same suspension design as the blindside) and it does not behave like a single pivot bike.
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    sorry but the blindside is a single pivot.look at it and you will notice it doesnt have that extra link at the bottom like all the vp bikes. it pivots at the main point which drives the shock. the other pivots that move move only because of the main pivot being activated.

The Beaver
    What about this one? Simply make the seat stays longer and flip the link over... and you have more than a single pivot... I don't really know for sure, but I do know how both single pivots and "fancy" designs perform and transitions perform more like a "fancy" bike

Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwehahaha
    I like how everyone thinks the Blindside is a single pivot frame... there are four pivots?

I am NOT trying to start a war over suspension design... but I don't think the blindside is a single pivot.

I have a double (same suspension design as the blindside) and it does not behave like a single pivot bike.
    We don't need wars... Blindsides, Doubles, Bottlerockets, pretty much all Kona's, newer Turners; all those bikes are "linkage driven" single pivots...

Think of it like this. If the wheel is attached to a swingarm, it's probably single pivot. If the wheel is attached to the seat (suspension) stays, it's FSR like your Demo. A single pivot will have a arcing wheel-path where most true 4-bars will have a more verticle wheel path...

VPP, Maestro, DW link bikes are variations of true 4-bars. They don't have a arcing wheelpath...

I've probably opened a can of worms with this post, but I tryed to keep it light... There's numerous threads that argue points like this. People who have ridden a lot of different bikes will notice the differences between different designs. To the Op; I think the Giant's your best bet as it has a very efficient design, a lifetime warranty on the frame, and better quality control compared to the Transition. Blindsides are great, but I've ridden both and the Glory rides better to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I vote for the demo. Started with the frame only and built with light but not to light parts and came out to 40.22#
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    that is one sick bike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Mwehahaha, notice that pivot foward and below the droppouts on that specialized stumpjumper chainstay? That is why it is not a single pivot.

Dr Phil mmkay
    Call me a sappy sentimental fool but boy am I sure glad mtbing has gotten this far in it's technological advancement. We're debating actual frame designs and pivot points and wheel paths. A few decades ago, people haven't even considered riding bi-cycles on surfaces over than tarmac.

Cheers to mtbing technology.

BTW: get this frame:

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I think it must be how we are defining a "single pivot" suspension that is adding to the confusion. The single pivot refers to a static length between the rear wheel axle and the main pivot (by the bb). The axle path is arc of the circle about the main pivot. On the specialized frame, the extra pivot on the chainstay next to the rear wheel allows the distance from the rear axle to the main pivot to change as the suspension cycles.

mtbr member
    Mweha, oh never mind, youll get it some day

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marinwolfrider
    I think it must be how we are defining a "single pivot" suspension that is adding to the confusion. The single pivot refers to a static length between the rear wheel axle and the main pivot (by the bb). The axle path is arc of the circle about the main pivot. On the specialized frame, the extra pivot on the chainstay next to the rear wheel allows the distance from the rear axle to the main pivot to change as the suspension cycles.
    good description.

heres another easy one:

Look at the frame where the swingarm connects to the bottom bracket. Is it connected by a link or does it attach directly? If it attaches directly, its going to rule out VPP (intense, SC) and parallel link designs (like DW, meastro, cove, marin, canfield, and many others) because the attach by a link. If it attaches directly, and goes all the way back to the axle of the wheel without a pivot in between, its a single pivot.

A rate altering single pivot is something with a link (or set of links) that push the shock in a different direction (like kona, turner, the blindside, and a bagillion others). Theres other designs (and complications) but thats an easy way to remember it.

anyway, to the OP, I find that glories are the most stable and "plow" of those listed. You point and shoot and just go fast, and the bike does everything for you. Its CS is a bit long to easily throw it around on jumps, I like jumping it because its really stable in the air, but if you like throwing tricks then its just not as good at that as something like a demo is. If you like your bike to be very stable in the air then its a great choice, but I wouldn't consider it "flicky" The demo and glory definitely pedal better then the blindside, which just relies on LSC to damp the pedal forces. As far as "which pedals better, the demo or the glory" its a matter of personal preference. I find the demo locks up the rear end slightly more under pedaling, and it stiffens up a bit. I find that the Meastro doesn't move, but feels alot more active and easily able to move up and down over bumps.

Really you can't go wrong with any of them. Great CS and a fun ride from transition, great geo and a "do everything bike" from specialized, and a great suspension platform and amazing stability from giant. Have fun with whatever you get and keep us posted

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks for the input everyone, i really just need to test ride the bikes to see which one i like, they're all so awesome

Brackish
    I got some trail time on a Blindside this weekend and if I wanted a DH bike I'd definitely pick one up. I also hopped on a tricked out V-10, and the handling between the two on the trail was very similar with the main difference being in pedaling: the transition was a little piggy while the V-10 jumps when you put the power down. But considering that you can build a nice Blindside for price of a V-10 frame, it's a very good option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    so it sounds like the glory is going to have the best pedaling platform, but how is the demo compared to the glory on pedaling

Members who have read this thread: 0