FR wheelset- Mtbr.com

Thread: FR wheelset

Don't skid

FR wheelset

What do you guys think of the WTB Laser lite hubs? I was thinking of getting a rear wheel built with them laced to Mavic XM321's (I already have the rims and would like to reuse them to save some $$). Do you think those will hold up well for some lite DHing ( no races but do head to the resorts to ride) and alot of rocky technical trails in Santa Barbara? I want to keep the wieght down b/c i still ride uphill.
    Any other suggestions on a wheelset?

Oh and is there a noticable strength diff between 32 hole and 36 hole wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    What do you guys think of the WTB Laser lite hubs? I was thinking of getting a rear wheel built with them laced to Mavic XM321's (I already have the rims and would like to reuse them to save some $$). Do you think those will hold up well for some lite DHing ( no races but do head to the resorts to ride) and alot of rocky technical trails in Santa Barbara? I want to keep the wieght down b/c i still ride uphill.

i'm pretty sure that the 321's will hold up, people on here swear by 'em. i'm not sure about the hubs, try the review section (they may not have any reviews)
    i don't know about spokes.

Cynical Bystander
    XM321s are the equivalents of F219s..... X729s are the new D321s
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    XM321s are the equivalents of F219s..... X729s are the new D321s
    oh, okay. that clarifies it for me... anyway i have the 219's on my stinky. I only weigh 95 pounds and have bent my rear one quite a bit. there are a couple flat spots and side to side it wobbles like a $2 hooker. (or whatever I got that off beau or buck) they should work if you don't weigh much and don't do a drop to flat over 3 ft. (mine bent off that, or a 5 footer) the front one isn't very bent though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB

Get them built up properly by someone who knows what they're doing and the results should be a reasonably solid wheelset. I've got the same rims on my Cannondale Gemini 2000. I weigh 225 lbs and I've been using them for aggressive trail riding, light freeriding & downhilling since June and the wheels are still perfectly true. I'll keep using them until they fail/wear out and then I'll probably upgrade to something stronger.

Can't comment on the hubs other than to say that most of WTB's stuff is of pretty good quality.

Hope this helps . . .

rockin the mid-west

Idea! Oh and is there a noticable strength diff between 32 hole and 36 hole wheels?

32 vs 36 just think about it. duh 36 wins by a long shot . you have 4 more spoks holding the wheel together.
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ