Which FR frame should I buy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Which FR frame should I buy?

Hey, I used to be well into biking but when I went to university I had to sell everything to fund my studies! Now however I am looking at getting back into it but i have fallen out of touch with what kit is best etc

Basically I'm looking for advice as to which frame (or bike) is best for my needs, which are;

+General relaxed bike rides with the girlfriend
    +A bit of downhill and dirt jumping on the weekends
    +Long trail riding (possibly in europe) including XC
    +Trips to DH resorts (e.g. Fort William / Morzine etc) for some more intense riding

I'm not after an XC bike at all, more a jump/DH bike that isn't too heavy and doesn't have so much suspension that I'm going to die riding up a hill!

Money wise, I've probably got up to 2000 absolute maximum for the entire bike, but less is obviously better.

Thanks alot for any help

James Tilley

local trails rider
    DJ to DH is still a pretty wide range. A Banshee Wildcard might fit the description, unless you are so tall that you cannot get the seat high enough for the XC rides.
    (Banshee had to be renamed "Mythic" for the UK market).

http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com/search/label/Wildcard

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    no, im only about 5'9" so shouldn't be a problem.

yeah i realise its a difficult one, but i suppose i won't be attacking any rediculously steep narly DH runs on it if that helps!

thanks

local trails rider
    I have some difficulties understanding what sort of riding, exactly, you have in mind. Do you think you need a full suspension (FS) bike, or would a "hardcore hardtail", such as Cotic BFe or On-One 456 serve you better?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i've mainly been riding DJ and street based hardtails in the past but i would definately like a full suspension this time. as i mentioned before i want to go to morzine this summer so i want something that can handle some speed/drops/jumps but i dont want a full on DH rig that i cant casually ride round on the weekends if that makes any sense!

thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well your pretty much looking for opposite ends of the spectrum

but a good compromise would be some thing with about 6" of travel or less, air shock maybe adjust spring rate harder or softer depending on the terrain, 66-67ish head angle to feel ok on downhills.

Intense SS, Trek Remedy, Specialized SX are all kind of in the ballpark. basically a "slopestyle" type frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    possibly demo 7

ready to ride
    I ride my Haro x7 for pretty much everything, however an x6 might go uphill better and ride more like a slopestyle bike.
    Last edited by ridefreeride; 05-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    N* = <3 <3]

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    fisher biggin's series hardtail,or a marin wolfridge for full suss. Will perform equally well (but not great) in downhill and xc.
    I lubed my disc brakes because they squeaked.
    Man was that fun to work out

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Specialized SX.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by sq225917
    Specialized SX.
    yep or
    a Intense Uzzi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

moaaar shimz
    Any All Mountain/Enduro bike. Specialized SX Trail, Intense Uzzi, Giant Reign XO, Duncon Tosa Inu, Santa Cruz Nomad, Banshee Rune etc etc

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    don't forget the Transition bottlerocket. good bike, can do everything.

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    fisher biggin's series hardtail,or a marin wolfridge for full suss. Will perform equally well (but not great) in downhill and xc.
    Go with the wolfridge
    N* = <3 <3]

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    transition dirtbag, i've pedalled mine 3+ plus hours uphill.. when i had a granny upfront. now i have 36 tooth, there's no way i'm pedalling that uphill
    2008 Transition Dirtbag w/Totem

Roll on Spring Time!
    If you want a full suspension bike to ride and feel similar to you Dj and Street sessions and if necessary use it for above diciplines then go for the Wildcard. It rides like a hardtail but has the forgiveness of a fully. I trail ride mine for some milage, DJ, freeride and a little DH. Dont be fooled to think its a full DH bike. The rear is progressive which is great for freeride and the geo is good for Mini DH but its not plush. The bike jumps great.

Now with More Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    well your pretty much looking for opposite ends of the spectrum

but a good compromise would be some thing with about 6" of travel or less, air shock maybe adjust spring rate harder or softer depending on the terrain, 66-67ish head angle to feel ok on downhills.

Intense SS, Trek Remedy, Specialized SX are all kind of in the ballpark. basically a "slopestyle" type frame.
    Seeing this reminded me that a friend was just told by Trek that the Remedy should not be ridden on "drops over 60cm" to be covered by warranty. That's 2 feet or so BTW....LOL...

Seems that marketing hype about one bike to do it all was just that....hype...

Intense SS and the SX should be OK for anything though, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i have decided on the following spec, see what you think;

Intense SS frame, Midnight Blue with a Fox DHX 5.0 Coil
    Fox Forx 36 Van R w/1.5" steerer
    Cane Creek DoubleX 1.5" Headset
    SAINT rear mech/cranks/shifter
    Avid Juicy 5 Front and Rear with 203mm discs
    Raceface evolve DH bars
    Raceface Diabolus D2 stem
    Easton Flatboy's
    Mavic Ex729 Disc Rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs (blue)
    Maxxis High Roller 2.5's
    SDG Bel Air saddle
    Cane Creek DoubleX 1.5" Headset

What do you think?
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for alternate parts that might work better. Also, i'm not sure whether or not this build will come out a bit heavy, any veiws?

Thankyou

local trails rider
    Still on the "2000 absolute maximum" budget?

Single or double ring cranks? You'll need the granny if you plan to do any extended climbing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    no, gona have to stretch it a bit to be honest, looking like 3000 now

was gona get the single just because iv always found that theres less to go wrong but would consider a double if its going to be necessary

Now with More Wood
    On that build, all I would suggest is looking at better brakes from the get go. Any extended DHing (i.e. resorts!) and you will suffer with the Juicy 5s. Avid Codes are a safe bet, as are the new Saints. Code 5 for a somewhat more budget-oriented alternative perhaps. With any of those you can also leave the rear rotor at 185mm, no need for 203mm in the rear.
    Maybe also consider Minions instead of HR (or Minion DHF in the front/HR in the rear combo). This is just taste and personal preference in the end though...whatever you do just make sure you get the DH version (double ply) if you plan on any rocky DH action.

Oh and you need a chainguide. Fashion dictates e13....but have a search, people get good results with various brands.
    BTW with a chainguide and a bash, I rarely (if ever) have anything go wrong with the front deraileur, so if you plan on any extended climbing it will be worth running the 2 rings. In that case e13 DRS, RaceFace Atlas FR Chainguide, Truvativ Shiftguide, or Blackspire Stinger will all work with 2 rings and a bash.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks, ill look into a guide, and i can get the saint chainset with 2 rings

yeah, i know i have had to sacrifice a bit with the brakes and i was looking at the saints but they are like 170 whereas the avids are 80 but i will look into ur suggestions!

Members who have read this thread: 0