FR/DH with a few trails thrown in bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FR/DH with a few trails thrown in bike?

Ok, I have found that I'm more of a freeride guy than an XC guy, and downhilling looks fun, so I'm saving up for a new bike. I do have a TON more singletrack around me and not much downhill or freeride.

So I'm looking for a bike that can handle freeride all day long, but still go out on the trails, climb some hills, and go downhilling. I'm not too worried about weight, as I have pretty strong legs (I used to ride one of those huge, 50lb department store Mongoose's that look like heavy duty DH bikes, and that wasn't too bad). The only thing holding me back is my breathing, so I think I can handle something 40 lbs. My GF Marlin weighs about 33lbs according to a grocery store scale ( I can easily lose that seven pounds and more to make up the difference).

Price, well I don't really have a budget, but I do work at a minumum wage job and only get scheduled two days a week (btw, I'm in highschool), so I want to be able to have it and test it out at Rays this winter before taking it for it's real test next summer. I'm hoping to spend around $2000.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    vpx

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    theres tons of good bikes out there.

Nomad
    Reign X
    Quake
    7point
    SXT
    Bullit
    ASX
    VPFree
    Uzzi

Get something in the 66-68 degree HA, 14+ BB, and that you can afford. Buy used at that price for sure. 6-7 inches of travel works pretty well as a trail bike turned DH bike for the weekend - its fairly common to see SXT's, Reign X's, etc and so on at the lifts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Reign x

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I hear you can get something like this for about $1600 to $1800 so you would have a few bucks left over for gear (helmet, pads, etc.)

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...08parker2.html

might be worth a look

Pivotal figure
    Transition...Might have to buy used to get a complete bike with your budget though.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Three Wheeler Expert
    nomad and reign are on my tops. I can cross country my nomad and then I can take it to whislter and beat the crap out of it.
    SEND IT TO THE MOON!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Reign X, a lot more fun and freeride worthy than the bottle rockets I've ridden. Both bikes are decent at pedaling though. Great deal with the reign and just an overall great bike.

Glad to Be Alive
    big fan of the Uzzi
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Ideas Above My Station...
    Uzzi ( if a bit more trail oriented...) SS (FR Oriented..)

Plenty of others would be great, just my Intense preference options.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1. I highly doubt you will find any new complete Intense bike for $2000.
    2. If money were no object, I concur with Goblin on the SS. That's one sweet bike.

You also might look at the Transition Preston FR as well. You could get a new frame for just under $1300, then find used components and put on it.

Chumba Evo is another good choice (you'd have to do the same as the Preston FR, by buying a frame).
    2006-2007 Rocky Mountain Slayer. It's listed as an A/M bike but it has a healthy 6" of travel. My 5" 2003 Edge has withstood everything I've thrown at it over the past two years.
    Jump it onto something off of something or over something.

There's more to freeriding than dirt jumps.

Ideas Above My Station...
    Sorry yeah, forgot about the budget on the OP!!

mtbr member
    $2K will get you one used. I say Highline; am building one up myself just for this purpose! Frames are now on sale for $1599...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    $1700 and free shipping, for a complete bike with 6.5 inches of travel, I don't think you can find a better deal, not the best bike, but for your budget it's a good deal and you could be riding it by next week.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+Bike+08.aspx

mtbr member
    Building sounds like a good option for me. That way I can put exactly what I want on, and I might be able to stretch my budget more (at least I can look at the frame if I can't ride it).

The Transition Dirtbag seems to be a nice fit, what do you guys think?

What are some good websites to look at for frames?

Thanks.

Brackish
    Norco Shore 3 or one of the Six series is worth a look, too.

mtbr member
    look here at randal scott:
    7point and 6point models
    Iron horse 6point6 << great price, all these bikes prices are heavily decreased and their great bikes

Iron Horse 6 point or an Iron Horse 7point would be great for you. The 7point is built a little heavier and stronger and the 6 pint is a little lighter with 6" of travel as opposed to 7" on the 7point

Pivotal figure
    Lots of guys out here ride Dirtbags, that's a great heavy duty bike for not too much $$. The Preston is a better option for pedalling but not quite as stout (less travel but less weight). Kona also has complete bikes in your price range.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by carbuncle
    Norco Shore 3 or one of the Six series is worth a look, too.

yep. I ride pretty much everything other then urban on my 08 shore. It's a great frame. Very balanced bike, easy to manuel, take hits great too. The frame it light so can be built sub 40 easy.

Dr Phil mmkay

Transition Dirtbag

I just got done with a session at my local XC spot on my Dirtbag. It's a faily inexpensive bike that can be pedaled. I recently took it to two DH races the past two weeks (I'm new to racing) and did OK. My budget was a bit more than your's, although I'm a student (college) as well. I bought the 2006 frame from TBC on closeout at a steal and patiently collected parts for it this past spring. If you really want to DH it, as well as FR and some trail rides, the DB would be a good fit, but I would strongly recommend a Preston. While the DB is pedal-able, it isn't much fun (I've got chicken legs though...).

Good luck on whichever bike you choose to build up.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I think a Foes Fly would be a good option for you.

I've got mine built up at 36.5lbs with dual-ply DH tires, floating brake and steel spring(although the new 2:1 Fly's come with air shocks and ride really nicely. I think I may have to snag the 2:1 as my friends is AMAZING!). The bike pedals better than my M3 and is really easy to throw around.

As a bonus... it's front derailleur compatible. I've been riding mine EVERYWHERE lately. In fact I rode almost 40miles up and down out at capitol forest last weekend.

-Kevin

Members who have read this thread: 0