FR bike that can pedal . . .- Mtbr.com
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

FR bike that can pedal . . .

Stinky D $2700
    Coiler D $2700
    Big Hit Comp $1800

I am looking for a FR bike that can be pedaled, 35 - 40 lbs. Can't beat the Big Hit for the price. Any other suggestions? I've got $2-$3 k to play with. I like the Coiler, can it handle flat landings? Most of the new stuff I find is pretty flat where I ride. Lotsa 6-8 footers to flat. The other challenge is that all of the best drops require some pedaling. Anti-Heckler, everyone is on one where I ride.

dnt b a clwn thro it down
    Haro came out with the Werx 7 for $2800. With a Swinger 4-way and a breakout plus. looks pretty nice.

mtbr member
    i ride a big hit and love it. im in the same boat as you with the pedaling thing and i pedal mine all around. i have some mallet c pedals that i switch out for long rides but it still pedals fine with out it. and ive done plenty of big drops to flat out here in AZ.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

what's the built weight?

I currently ride a 37 lb hardtail, so I hardly think weight will be an issue. I'm looking at the comp 2005 stock. Any idea of the built weight?

Last of the Great Vikings
    Feb 2004

go big and take hits

I've been riding a Big Hit for about a year and a half, I've pedaled that thing around for miles, up and down hill, mud, pavement, and sand. Hardly any bob at all, and it carries it's weight really well, and lighter than the stinky.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Gemini

I use my gemini 2000 for everything and I find it perfect. great for 4-5 hour rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Doing 6-8 ft drops to flat consistently is going to trash just about any bike. If you want to build up a BigHit to take a lot of abuse...good luck getting it to 35-40 lbs. Most builds on here are 45+ lbs. You ~can~ build it up lighter, but if you're going to be rough on it (ie: 6-8 ft drops to flat), you will destroy it, as it would require pretty lightweight components to squeeze into that weight range. Essentially, for your price range, you're probably going to have to sacrifice either strength or weight. In your case, I suggest weight. BigHits are solid, decent peddlers. In my experience, the Kona's don't peddle as nicely. You can probably find some pretty sweet deals on '04 models this time of year (if there are any around!).

Remember...trannies are your friend. I know it's tough finding drops to tranny (same where I am), but large drops to flat suck for you and your bike.

Authority is dead!
    If you go Bighit, swap that DJ fork for something else. I ride Bighit and I love it even though it's heavy. Keep in mind that you get a Swinger which could be set up in may different ways.
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the Norco Shore series. I went from a 02 Bullit with 5th to an 03 Team Race and found it actually climbed better. It does bob more, but I'm able to climb in a bigger gear and am cleaning some technical climbs that I never could before. I don't know why it's better, but I'll take it.

There should be some good deals out there on leftover 04's, and the new 05's look amazing. Norco is very good bang/buck.

mtbr member
    If your looking at the stinky's and coiler , check out Banshee Bikes either the scream or chapperal.... I have a chap and picked it with the same requirments you have , ie... pedalable, burly and versitile...
    should run your about 2500 give or take....

There is a guy on this board, Banshee rider I dont know if he still has his scream for sale with avy shock, but that's a killer bike that he's selling for cheap....

Pro Crastinator
    drops to flat???? save yourself some time in the hospital and just run your bike over with your car and get it over with..........

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Stinky D $2700
    Coiler D $2700
    Big Hit Comp $1800

I am looking for a FR bike that can be pedaled, 35 - 40 lbs. Can't beat the Big Hit for the price. Any other suggestions? I've got $2-$3 k to play with. I like the Coiler, can it handle flat landings? Most of the new stuff I find is pretty flat where I ride. Lotsa 6-8 footers to flat. The other challenge is that all of the best drops require some pedaling. Anti-Heckler, everyone is on one where I ride.
    The Bullit and Gemini are excellent freeride bikes that can be pedaled uphill no problem. If you are into 6-8 footers to flat for good times you should consider a hardtail like Thunk or Evil. You will destroy any fully after repeated 6-8ft drops after a while.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Those Norco bikes look sweeeet!

Thanks for the recommend. I'd love to score up an 04, this is the best time of the year to get lucky. They have three smokin bikes that could all work for what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Stinky D $2700
    Coiler D $2700
    Big Hit Comp $1800

The Bullit and the Gemini are two of the best pedaling bikes that I have been on. If you are doing a lot of hucking to flat then a fully is not for you. Get a freeride hardtail. Any fully will break after repeated hucks to flat. If the stuff you are riding is mostly flat then you dont need a fully anyways. Interesting that you mention the Heckler, I ride one and it rips. Not for 8ft drops with no tranny though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think the availability of the '04 Shores may be EXTREMELY limited if not non-existent. Norco had a VERY good year, selling out a number of their models by the end of summer (ie: a lot of the Shore hardtails). FYI: I think the '04 Shore frame weighs in at a stout 11 lbs or so, so your 35-40 lb range is not gonna be feasible

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

When that's what you've got, that's what you've got.

I am surrounded by rock ledges and shelf type stuff that begs to be dropped. Without a battery operated electric jack hammer, there is no way to change a flat rock into a sloped tranny. Guys that build trannies when not needed can bite me. Don't get me wrong, there are some great trannies or natural slope landings where I live, but all of those sweet 6 footers to flat, I can't pass em' up. I ride a hard tail, low maintence. The front shock (Z3) is the only thing that cries out in pain when I land a big one. But even the shock has held up with one set of seals (and oil changes) in three years. I'm gonna miss the Surly Hog. It's been a good rig over the last three years.

PS Only pussies pass by the flat stuff

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

That is one of my concerns . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    The Bullit and Gemini are excellent freeride bikes that can be pedaled uphill no problem. If you are into 6-8 footers to flat for good times you should consider a hardtail like Thunk or Evil. You will destroy any fully after repeated 6-8ft drops after a while.
    I enjoy the low maintence of my Surly hardtail. One of my riding buddies is on a Heckler and it's held up for him. Occasional chain suck from the abuse. That's it. Regardless, mo money to buy a FS, mo money to maintain. Got my Surly, fully built (slightly used) for $900. Now I'm looking at spending upto $3k. Ouch.

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Heckler does rule . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    The Bullit and the Gemini are two of the best pedaling bikes that I have been on. If you are doing a lot of hucking to flat then a fully is not for you. Get a freeride hardtail. Any fully will break after repeated hucks to flat. If the stuff you are riding is mostly flat then you dont need a fully anyways. Interesting that you mention the Heckler, I ride one and it rips. Not for 8ft drops with no tranny though.
    This riding buddy of mine can do it all on his Heckler, doubles, gappers, flat stuff. You name it, he'll destroy it and his Heckler has taken the pounding. Everyone says the Heckler is not made for the big stuff, but you can't convince me of it unless your doing 15 footers. If you are doing 15 footers, you should be sponsered on a 50 lb bike.

Problem is that every monkey and his brother is on one out here. I'm looking for anything but. Dare to be different. DARE? I wish, sweet ride, mo money.

mtbr member
    vp-free!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This riding buddy of mine can do it all on his Heckler, doubles, gappers, flat stuff. You name it, he'll destroy it and his Heckler has taken the pounding. Everyone says the Heckler is not made for the big stuff, but you can't convince me of it unless your doing 15 footers. If you are doing 15 footers, you should be sponsered on a 50 lb bike.

Problem is that every monkey and his brother is on one out here. I'm looking for anything but. Dare to be different. DARE? I wish, sweet ride, mo money.
    So why are you looking at Stinkys and Bighits...they are everywhere! Assuming you are in the US, get a Norco, or smuggle a Devinci down there. Actually, now that I think about it, if you want a lighter bike, I think the Devinci Wilson frame is hella light for an 8" travel frame...just not available in the US because of patent issues....it gets rave reviews too. Check out the devinci site. Prices should be sweet considering the exchange (though the gap is closing).

Team
    I have a Big Hit and it is great, it can be set up for downhilling too. Great bike, great price, great quality. I rode the Stinky and personally I like the Big Hit Better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It is possible to build a ligher bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Doing 6-8 ft drops to flat consistently is going to trash just about any bike. If you want to build up a BigHit to take a lot of abuse...good luck getting it to 35-40 lbs. Most builds on here are 45+ lbs. You ~can~ build it up lighter, but if you're going to be rough on it (ie: 6-8 ft drops to flat), you will destroy it, as it would require pretty lightweight components to squeeze into that weight range. Essentially, for your price range, you're probably going to have to sacrifice either strength or weight. In your case, I suggest weight. BigHits are solid, decent peddlers. In my experience, the Kona's don't peddle as nicely. You can probably find some pretty sweet deals on '04 models this time of year (if there are any around!).

Remember...trannies are your friend. I know it's tough finding drops to tranny (same where I am), but large drops to flat suck for you and your bike.
    You can build a bike that is 40lbs or less with burly parts and still go big. The Cannondale Gemini is a good example. The Bullit is another. My 03 Gemini does not have a weak part on it and it weighs around 38-40lbs. Running a bighit single crown fork will usually save some weight and tire and tube selection make a big difference. Burly DH tubes are very heavy and you can run decent regular tubes in a big tire or go tubeless and save some weight.
    Last edited by ronny; 10-27-2004 at 02:01 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Extra posts.

I kind of double posted on this one earlier today because my first post didnt come up for a while. Sorry about that. The Heckler does take some abuse that is for sure. I dont do 15 footers on mine or my freeride bike. If you dont want to be like every other joe blow there is a lot of good bikes out these days. Are you looking at used bikes or just new? Usually demo bikes can be had for a good deal at most lbs dealers.

Clydesdale Warrior

Good job! Gemini...

I was looking at a Coiler too, then I found the Gemini. It is about the same weight (my XL Gemini 900 is 36 lbs) and you get 7" of travel that pedals as good or better than the Coiler's 5 inches. IMHO.

sh0rty :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

pedaling freeride bike

How about the new Ironhorse 7Point. The bike should definitely be in your weight range and if you go with the 7point7 then the specs are awesome.

USB Rep'n

why not build a tougher HT then?

I enjoy the low maintence of my Surly hardtail. One of my riding buddies is on a Heckler and it's held up for him. Occasional chain suck from the abuse. That's it. Regardless, mo money to buy a FS, mo money to maintain. Got my Surly, fully built (slightly used) for $900. Now I'm looking at spending upto $3k. Ouch.
    My Chameleon only weighs around 27 lbs and sports a Sherman, Rhynolites, and mostly Holzfeller parts. Basically DH parts on a HT setup. Pedals awesome, jumps awesome, carves better than the old man on a Thansgiving turkey, and takes a beating like a rented mule. Low maintenance, lower cost.....want me to continue?

Seriosuly, there are lots of great HT frames out there that can stand up to what you are doing. Check out the SC's, Banshee's, Steelhead, and Evil Imperials just to start. Sinister also makes a sick frame.

Just a thought but it might be the best of both worlds for you. It drops to flat fine too although I agree w/ WCH, drops to flat are just all kinds of bad. Then again, I know what you mean when you say sometimes they just beg to be hit.

Good luck.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Try the rocky mountain switch sl

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dude, read my post slowly next time. I was talking about Bighits

Gear Whore
    All good bikes you have pointed out, and I looked at them all, but ended up going with a transition dirtbag. Really good people to deal with and an amazing product that they stand behind. Mine weighs 41 pounds on the shop scale.....

KOKOPELLI RACING
    forget the v10, i can't even pedal mine up the driveway.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    Only pussies pass by the flat stuff
    (poining at you laughing)

YOUR A DORK...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    (poining at you laughing)

YOUR A DORK...
    I have to agree with BJ and WCH on this one. that is a dumb comment whatever you want though...
    I would go with a quality hardtail if you only do drops to flat...
    p.s. drops to flat are dumb, you aren't a ***** if you don't do them.
    they just break your bike.
    earlier WCH said that drops to flat were pointless and then you made that ***** comment. do a search for his pics. he is doing 15 foot drops and riding a 50 pound bike, but he does not do drops to flat...
    ? guess he's a *****??
    whatever i don't recommend drops to flat they are hazardous to your bikes health..
    good luck.

north bush biker

yea

yea i agree with WCH , Bj and matt . Drops to flat suck. you wreck your bike. and its hard on your body if u bail. landing to a tranny is more forgiving on your bike and you. if you have a good long tranny you can go as big as you wan't. you can turn a 6 foot drop going off at walking pace to 20 fter all by changeing your speed. you can't do that with drops to flat. the first and only time i droped to flat i tacoed my back rim. and i land smoothy trials style. Drops to flat r a waste of time .if you have so many drops to flat in one area why don't you make a seris of tranies and ramps n set it up so you can drop land on the tranny and the carry your speed and jump back up off the ramp.
    RIDE HARD,RIDE FAST

Uhhhhh...
    I know someone who has an awesome Bighit for sale that's only $1600. Or it could be parted out so if you want a part off it just holla.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Bike Hoor
    The Transition Preston FR is a great short travel FR bike that can be pedaled... by short travel meaning 5".
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

mtbr member
    Hey, you should consider the sherpas bike, only $1600 you could upgrade anything you wanted at that price...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    Hey, you should consider the sherpas bike, only $1600 you could upgrade anything you wanted at that price...
    no sherpa "knows a person with a bighit"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You should check out the geminis. I have an 03 900 and it's really nice. It can take anything you can throw at it and it weighs 35 lbs. That's as much as most burly hardtails but its a 7 inch travel bike with parts that are also very tough. http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VG9.html

Glad to Be Alive
    Funny no one mentioned the santa Cruz Bullitt....nice FreeRide Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigair101
    You should check out the geminis. I have an 03 900 and it's really nice. It can take anything you can throw at it and it weighs 35 lbs. That's as much as most burly hardtails but its a 7 inch travel bike with parts that are also very tough. http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/cusa/model-3VG9.html
    besides the rims...
    i have those and they have flat spots and side wobble everywhere (i don't even do drops to flat and i weigh only 100 pounds.)