Fox Vanilla 32 r for freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Fox Vanilla 32 r for freeride?

I need to buy a new fork and am going with QR. I can either buy the fox vanilla 32 r 2007 (the coil one not air) or an 05 manitou sherman flick plus ( seller says its basically new but ill wait for pictures before i believe him). Will the fox vanilla perfrom well as a freeride fork? and what is it like strengthwise vs. the sherman

mtbr member
    Only you know what kind of "freeride" you do, free ride can be a lot of things, Fox say XC, AM, FR, for this fork, i think the truth is in the middle.
    If i was in the market for freeride fork i would get TA and a little larger then 32....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    i know freeride can be alot of things, im not going very big yet but i hope to be doing somewhere between light freeride/aggresive AM to aggresive freeride with some xc mixed in and with a 500 dollar fork, upgrading according to style is not what i want to do. The vanilla 32 unlike the talas or float is coil sprung (which is probably why its rated for fr and the other 2 arent) so im guessing it would behave like a scaled down 36, that and it has more than enough travel (supposing the springs are nice and firm the way i like them)

Pain is a way of life
    From what you are describing the Van 32 is gonna do just fine. I have one and luv it. The fork has a real nice feel to it. And the truth is...it can take alot more abuse than some give it credit for. I weight in @ 240lbs with gear and have bashed my Van 32 in every way from Rockgardens....street......DH.....Trail riding...you name it. It has not let me down yet.

attending to my vices
    I have a Pike 454 coil with a TA and would not call it a freeride fork. Sorry I can't comment directly on the Fox but they seem close enough to bring insight. I have a giant reign and although the fork can be absolutely charged through rough terrain, it will blow through it's 5.5 inches very quickly on any drop over 5 feet. That is will a 175 pound rider and a heavy spring. Do yourself a favor and get a 36 Talas. At 5 pounds and adjustable travel of 100mm 130mm 160mm it will cover the range you want much better on the FR side and not slow you down one bit. I would trade my pike for one fo sho'.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    I have had 2 Vanilla 32 and a float 32 both are great forks for Freeride. I like the Coil feel a little bit more than the air. Fox did a great job with the air spring coil is just a bit better.

The only downside of the fork is the flex you get for Freeride/DH usage. It is not anything bad just typical of a QR fork being used aggressivly. For AM it is great. Another nice feature of the Vanilla is how easy it is to work on.

Manitou products are garbage and Iw ould avoid them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    well i cant get the sherman anymore anyways, i was outbid last second. I would get the 36 but 2 things prevent me from getting it

#1-money, i took up a job just to pay for the upgrades to my bike, and im not going to take up another one

#2-i just spent $250 on a new wheelset with qr axles because i will need to use it on my current fork with regular qr dropouts while i wait for my new fork, and i need to use my other fork for dirt jumping skatepark and commuting (basically the forks will be interchangeable and ill be using 2 different forks on one bike depending on what im riding)

not to mention the vanilla looks really good and the casting seems very stiff. Im the kind of person to not notice flex on a fork until it blows up so flex is not an issue.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I rode a Van 32 for about 18 months fairly hard. I eventually bent the steerer on a drop gone wrong. Overall, I really liked the fork though. I switched to a Firefly with a 20mm thru axle. The Firefly was better on big drops and stiffer through high speed rock gardens. The Fox was better everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yah thats what im worried about, the aluminum steertube since most freeride forks have cromo

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    what about a 2004 marzocchi z1 dropoff? would it be better suited to freeride?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Van 32 will be fine for what you describe. Just make sure you get the right springs installed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yah but will a 2004 z1 drop off be better? since i KNOW that is a freeride fork, but vanilla seems to be more of an all around fork (even though i REALLY want it since i dont want to buy used)

Members who have read this thread: 0