Fox Van 36 RC2 or RS Lyrik Coil/Solo Air for me?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Fox Van 36 RC2 or RS Lyrik Coil/Solo Air for me?

Hi, I need a fork for my new Intense SS2. Now I want to decide between the Fox Van 36 RC2 and the Rock Shox Lyrik Coil or Solo Air. It will be a 2010 version for sure.
    I am 210lbs (95kg).
    Which fork would perform best for me? Can I choose the Solo Air, save some weight and get plush suspension? Or will I have to chose a Coil fork for this with my weight?

mtbr member
    I weigh 210# as well and have the 2010 170mm Lyrik DH Solo Air on my Cove STD right now. It's very light and is performing extremely well. It's not quite as plush as the coil when standing and pushing on it but it's a minuscule difference at best and it feels just as plush while riding. It can handle our weight, I wouldn't worry about that.

I have also had the 36 Van and it's a damn nice fork. Performance wise I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are a couple things I like better on the Lyrik; the top mounted damper adjustments and the Maxle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have heard a few reports of issues with the new Lyrics. Take that with a grain of salt as I have no personal experience with the fork line, but I have read more than one published review noting performance issues with some models in the Lyric line. Not sure which model you are looking at, but a little research might save you a headache later. I know that one of the reviews I saw was in MBUK in their review of all mountain bikes for 2010 (Giant, Trek, Norco, and 1 other).

i like rocks
    they are both really great forks. i for one, am a bit more of a fox fan so i have a 36. some of my friends are more rock shox fans, so they go that way.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

Roll on Spring Time!
    Godfather, I read that article recently and I believe they were refering more to the Lyrik 2 step. Always been a bit of a lemon fork. I dont think there have been many issues with the solo air or coil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    Godfather, I read that article recently and I believe they were refering more to the Lyrik 2 step. Always been a bit of a lemon fork. I dont think there have been many issues with the solo air or coil.
    Thanks for clarifying. You are absolutely correct. It was the 2 step on two of the bikes and they had problems with both of them.

Members who have read this thread: 0