fox or marzocchi- Mtbr.com
    Schmeow Productions

fox or marzocchi

i can either get a $300 fox vanilla rlc or a $400 marzocchi 66 vf...

which should i get for my bike?

(o4 Marin Rocky Ridge) (right now i have a 130mm dj III)

Cement always wins!!!

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    i can either get a $300 fox vanilla rlc or a $400 marzocchi 66 vf...

which should i get for my bike?

(o4 Marin Rocky Ridge) (right now i have a 130mm dj III)
    stick w/ marzocchi

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by gmac90
    stick w/ marzocchi
    why? you have vanillas

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    Wow, only 400 for a 66? Jump on it, I say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    those are really different classes of forks, I mean, the vanilla more compares with the all mountain and Z.1 series of forks, and the 66vf is more in line with the new fox 36.

I think you need to figure out which type of fork will be better for your riding. Also though, a 66 at 4 bills is a pretty good deal.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton
    those are really different classes of forks, I mean, the vanilla more compares with the all mountain and Z.1 series of forks, and the 66vf is more in line with the new fox 36.

I think you need to figure out which type of fork will be better for your riding. Also though, a 66 at 4 bills is a pretty good deal.
    66VF isn't anything like the 36. The 66VF is a giant dirtjumper, might as well just keep the DJ if you do that. The Vanilla on the other hand has damping that is a million times better, will keep your current geometry, weighs half as much as the 66. The 66 has crappy SSV damping, is eight feet tall, weighs a bunch. So unless you're hucking 15 foot cliffs I'd go with the fox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep... 66VF isn't that useful a fork, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    66VF isn't anything like the 36. The 66VF is a giant dirtjumper, might as well just keep the DJ if you do that. The Vanilla on the other hand has damping that is a million times better, will keep your current geometry, weighs half as much as the 66. The 66 has crappy SSV damping, is eight feet tall, weighs a bunch. So unless you're hucking 15 foot cliffs I'd go with the fox.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I wasn't referring to the quality of the fork/damping, more the intended use of the fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The quality or damping dictates the 'intended' or 'preferred' use of the fork, or it's limitations. The 66VF is essentially a raked out, higher travel version of your DJIII (chassis is nicer, though). It's SSV damping essentially limits the fork to DJ work, it won't be nice on trails. So, if you want a long travel, huge a-c DJ fork, then the 66VF may be for you. If you don't like the feel of your DJIII, you probably won't like the feel of the 66VF.

mtbr member
    well for cross contry or something like that small freeride here and there go with the fox, but for big DJs, Often freeride, some dh get the 66. The 66 is very good from what i herd and it's not that heavy, and also it is heavy duty so you can't expect something heavy duty to be as light as a feather.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    The quality or damping dictates the 'intended' or 'preferred' use of the fork, or it's limitations. The 66VF is essentially a raked out, higher travel version of your DJIII (chassis is nicer, though). It's SSV damping essentially limits the fork to DJ work, it won't be nice on trails. So, if you want a long travel, huge a-c DJ fork, then the 66VF may be for you. If you don't like the feel of your DJIII, you probably won't like the feel of the 66VF.
    The quality of the damper dictates the price of the fork. The chassis on the 66 is designed to take a hell of alot more abuse than the fox. It has more travel, 20mm axle, and is heavier than fox. So, again, I would say that your riding style should help you to decide which fork to buy. No point in getting a fork with a superior damper only to have the fork disentigrate because your using it for something something other than what it was intended for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Totally true. I have no experience with the fox, which is why i did not comment on it. Ii just don't think the 66vf really has much of an 'intended purpose'. You want a DJ fork, you don't need (and probably don't want) a really tall fork with THAT much travel. If you want a FR fork, you probably don't want the SSV valving. But whatever works for JBsoxB is great.

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Totally true. I have no experience with the fox, which is why i did not comment on it. Ii just don't think the 66vf really has much of an 'intended purpose'. You want a DJ fork, you don't need (and probably don't want) a really tall fork with THAT much travel. If you want a FR fork, you probably don't want the SSV valving. But whatever works for JBsoxB is great.
    i'm not hucking 15 ft cliffs, but i am doing light (veery light right now...lol) djing, so i went w/ the fox (i also got a CK heaset and a atomlabs sten and monkey bars... look at my other post about xmas coming early.