Fox DHX 5.0 settings for single pivot bikes, any suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Fox DHX 5.0 settings for single pivot bikes, any suggestions?

I'll be getting a Fox DHX 5.0 this week and I was wondering if you have any recommended settings for single pivot bikes. To be exact, an Orange 222 frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    anyone?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    start by settin sag at 30-35% dependin on if ya like stiff or soft. dont turn the preload collar any further than 2 turns from zero (where the collar 1st touches the spring and solid contact is made between the 2 parts). this could require a spring swap, a pal with a ruler/pad/pen and you at actual ride weight. rebound about 4 clicks in from full open. boost at minimum psi. everything else at full zero. this should give ya a solid baseline to work from. after ya discover they dont tune very well no matter what ya try, have it pushed.
    No, I'm NOT back!

wheres my damn 'thank you'? anyone?
    No, I'm NOT back!

biking is fun
    Sadly its a dhx 5.0 so the fact thats its a single pivot isn't going to really matter. Don't get me wrong. its a great shock but it doesn't have very good adjustability.

so with that said.
    30% sag
    run one turn from wide open of bottom out
    boost chamber pressure at minimum (125psi)
    rebound FAST start with wide open
    propedal off on the downhill and all the way on on the up.

Set the sag and then go out and ride. if the rebound is too fast and bucking you then slow it down, if you bottom out then add some to the bottom out, if you find you are blowing through your travel (specifically midstroke) then add PSI to the boost chamber.

its a really progressive shock so you usually don't need much bottom out and if you do add to much it will not get full travel and feel like its bottoming out 3/4 of the way through the travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    Sadly its a dhx 5.0 so the fact thats its a single pivot isn't going to really matter. Don't get me wrong. its a great shock but it doesn't have very good adjustability.
    Care to elaborate? What shock would you suggest?

biking is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman
    sure, i was saying that the fact that he has a single pivot doesn't really affect how you set up the DHX 5.0 because the dhx 5.0 doesn't have very much adjustability. the only place it would help would be the propedal for the uphill

like i said it is a great shock that is really reliable. it is lacking in adjustability and on some frames it will have problems blowing through the travel (lacks some midstroke) and it can also spike on fast hard impacts. also since it is very progressive it usually doesn't feel very good with a progressive suspension design. some have complained of never being able to get the full travel of the bike. Also the propedal, while a good thing on the uphill, is to some degree always on. so some say you lose some small bump sensitivity.

newer shocks like the RS vivid, fox rc4, cane creek double barrel, and my favorite the ELKA stage 5 all have alot more adjustability. They can be set up for different bike suspension designs.

since you asked which one i would suggest i would have to say the ELKA. for 450 bucks you get a custom tuned shock for your weight, bike, and riding style. the amount of ajustment for each compression and rebound is amazing. plus for the price its cheaper than most other high end shocks and still cheaper than the lower end shocks after getting sent to push for custom tuning.

Now for the OP. im sure it will work great. i have had 3 DHX's in the past and i think they work good. very reliable and low maintenance. Since you are unsure on how to set up rear suspension this is a good shock to get because it is really easy to set up and you can forget about it. also for the price you can't beat it. i am considering getting one for my new nomad since i do pedal uphill alot would enjoy the propedal.

RIDE4FUN
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman
    Roco WC or the elka stage 5. The cc bouble barel and vivid are nice I can't say I have much experience with them. I've never ridden an elka but try to find a negative review on it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the info....don't want to hijack this thread but I also have a single pivot bike (IH Kumicho) and I'm looking for something to replace my Van R. I'll look into that ELKA.

N* Bomber Crew
    There's no correct setup just for single pivots, there's a lot of things to take into account: Riding Terrain, Rider Weight, Rider Style, etc. But since you asked, I'll throw in my setup.

I run a Turner DHR 06 with a Fox DHX 5.0, here's what I have:

450# Spring: Try to go for a spring rate that doesn't require you to have pre-load on your Shock, so you can avoid coil bind. If you are recommended between two spring rates, I'd personally take the higher.

Boost Valve: I put the Minimum PSI in the Boost Valve.

Pro Pedal: All the Way Off

Rebound: I think I have 3 clicks. My rebound is set rather slow.

Boost Chamber, or Bottom Out: All the way out. Depending on how much travel you have you should adjust it. I bottom my frame out somewhat occasionally off a large drop to harsh landing or something. Personally I don't mind bottoming out on very rare occasions, it lets me know that I am getting the most out of my travel, so I prefer the Boost Chamber all the way open.

It didn't take me too long to get a desired ride out of the DHX. It's pretty easy to tune. Follow what others have said, read up on what exactly each adjustment does, and ride your first time with a shock pump and the necessary tools to make minor adjustments. After that, have fun!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Setup is based on personal preference, terrain, and your specific frame model - there is a wide variance in single pivot implementations.

1) Use the sag amount recommended by the manufacturer. They designed the suspension to operate best in that setting.

2) Start with everything all the way open, with mid-range air pressure in the boost valve (160-165). Start doing laps.

3) Adjust rebound - should be as fast as possible without bucking or upsetting your balance.

4) Adjust boost valve pressure. You want enough pressure to keep the chassis stable without making the ride overly harsh. You are looking for the minimum acceptable stability setting in rough conditions.

5) Adjust propedal. Same routine as with the boost valve, you are looking to keep the chassis stable - really fine tuning it's performance in berms, g-outs and out of the saddle sprinting. Back it off for really rough courses, dial it in for more groomed runs.

6) Adjust bottom out. Head out to the largest drop you do on a regular basis. Adjust bottom out so that the landings are smooth but still utilizing full travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i have an orange 223 wth the dhx5.0 on it, i hate the shock, no matter how i tune it its either too slow on the rebound or its too stiff, i had the rebound turned all the way up so it was super fast and it didnt even rebound! so i turned it one click in, and it sprung right back. GARBAGE

i consistantly hear very good things about pushed van r's. same basic feel as the dhxc but without all the mostly narrow adjustments of the stock dhxc and way lighter too. it would be far less coin to have that shock tuned to yer specific needs than to buy most off the shelf units, many with even more knobs, screws and dials than the dhxc which can be confusing as hell to the average rider.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    @cactuscorn: Thanks man!
    Thanks for the input guys. We'll see if I can tune in to my preference. BTW, I'm running 5ths right now and I think the DHX will give me a more plusher ride. My 5ths needs rebuilding.

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    moral of the story: Get the 5th fixed.
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by justcheckin
    i had the rebound turned all the way up so it was super fast and it didnt even rebound!
    That is not normal. Sounds like a warranty issue.

Living the High Life
    I agree with the settings a lot of these guys have suggested. I have a Commencal Supreme DH and had the pros at Sol Vista help me set the suspension (they ride the same bike). They told me to run the bottom out pretty open since it will ramp up on its own as a single pivot.

They did say to run the pro pedal up higher actually. I run a slightly softer spring rate so I can use all my travel but with the pro pedal up higher the bike its more correctly in its travel in corners.

I also run the boost value pretty low.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While definitely not a perfect shock, I've found the DHX 5.0 to work pretty well - especially the 09 I'm running now (I've also had an 05 5.0 and an 07 3.0). I run max pressure (200 psi) on my 303r with light rebound damping to get the most out of the mid-stroke. I adjust propedal depending on the terrain.

I wish it rolled off the propedal smoother (or better yet used a better low speed damping system) and had separate high speed compression adjustment. However, I like the fact that you can adjust end stroke compliance via the boost valve.

Members who have read this thread: 0