Fox DHX 5.0 - removing bottom out knob- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Fox DHX 5.0 - removing bottom out knob

Anyone riding the DHX 5.0 without the bottom out adjuster knob? I remember a post where a Transition DirtBag rider had the same problem with the knob rubbing the frame. He removed it....and now I want to see if constant riding without the knob effected the shock in any way (e.g. loss of air pressure).

I plan on removing mine if I know there are no "side effects"

For the record, I'm riding a Gemini 900 with a 7.875 x2.25 with a 700# spring. It's the correct length, but the knob is bulky, and it brushes the frame on bigger hits.

Thanks for any comments and or pictures.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    Anyone riding the DHX 5.0 without the bottom out adjuster knob? I remember a post where a Transition DirtBag rider had the same problem with the knob rubbing the frame. He removed it....and now I want to see if constant riding without the knob effected the shock in any way (e.g. loss of air pressure).

I plan on removing mine if I know there are no "side effects"

For the record, I'm riding a Gemini 900 with a 7.875 x2.25 with a 700# spring. It's the correct length, but the knob is bulky, and it brushes the frame on bigger hits.

Thanks for any comments and or pictures.
    nothing happens when you take it off, its kinda like the preload knobs on an old z1. There are just two small allen screws that you loosen and remove it. just be sure to set it where you want it before removing, or simply re-install it to make adjustments. I carried the knob in my pack for a while till i had the shock dialed. Just be sure that you dont screw the adjuster in too far, which can happen if the 2 allen screws are not tightend down when making said adjustment.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member

DHX 5.0 without bottom out knob

So performance has been fine?

I was hesitant because FOX told me not to do it. I'm sick of seeing the paint chip off my frame, so I'll test it out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sortafast
    nothing happens when you take it off, its kinda like the preload knobs on an old z1. There are just two small allen screws that you loosen and remove it. just be sure to set it where you want it before removing, or simply re-install it to make adjustments. I carried the knob in my pack for a while till i had the shock dialed. Just be sure that you dont screw the adjuster in too far, which can happen if the 2 allen screws are not tightend down when making said adjustment.

oly

Jul 2004
    Ive had a DHX on a 5-spot for a good 6 months without knob. Its fine. There are no effects of running it off. Like the other guy said.. usse the knob to adjust, then remove. Also be aware that the valve stem moves in and out with the knob adjustment.On my 5-spot if i wanted no bottom out, the valve stem would hit my frame, but having it set to the middle, its perfect.

mtbr member

Valve stem hitting

Thanks.
    I took the knob off very easily. However, I'm paranoid that it may hit even without the knob! This would not be a good thing.

Check out the path of the frame scratch in this photo from a couple of months ago. It clearly shows a scratch that is further forward than the bottom out knobs reach. I did'nt notice any scratches on the valve stem though.

I think I may need an 800# spring (does FOX make them for the DHX 5.0)?

Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Ive had a DHX on a 5-spot for a good 6 months without knob. Its fine. There are no effects of running it off. Like the other guy said.. usse the knob to adjust, then remove. Also be aware that the valve stem moves in and out with the knob adjustment.On my 5-spot if i wanted no bottom out, the valve stem would hit my frame, but having it set to the middle, its perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Just for the record, you're never going to find a spring that wholly prevents bottom-out, and all you're going to do is screw up the general suspension performance by running too high a spring rate.

What size Gemini is that, by the way?
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Cynical Bystander
    You could just take a file and file down the knob thing a bit, then remove the spring and compress the shock all the way and file off until it doesn't hit anymore...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

100% Cheesy Goodness
    Thanks.
    I took the knob off very easily. However, I'm paranoid that it may hit even without the knob! This would not be a good thing.

Check out the path of the frame scratch in this photo from a couple of months ago. It clearly shows a scratch that is further forward than the bottom out knobs reach. I did'nt notice any scratches on the valve stem though.

I had to get a 800 pounder for my transition to keep it from bottoming horribly in 7" mode. But i mostly run it like a super stiff 6" and like it a lot.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

May 2004
    Thanks.

u could take one of those saxaphone mouth piece pads and put it where the reservoir would hit..............would this work?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikity China
    u could take one of those saxaphone mouth piece pads and put it where the reservoir would hit..............would this work?
    think about it, it hits because there is zero space between it and the frame. Now think what would happen if you tried to stuff something between no available space...

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    think about it, it hits because there is zero space between it and the frame. Now think what would happen if you tried to stuff something between no available space...
    yea well..............wutever man

Jan 2004
    yea well..............wutever man
    good answer

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    good answer
    wuts wrong with it, its a perfectly fine answer

Jan 2004
    wuts wrong with it, its a perfectly fine answer
    whutever....

lol, damn kids

Jul 2004
    I hate kids: Mr. Chinkty it is a stupid idea because there is already no clearance, you would just be making less clearance. Go back to jacking off or whatever you teens do

Jun 2004

spring

a heavier spring will have a wider diameter and get even closer to the frame.. i'd try to run a size down on the spring if possible, that might get you just enough clearance. drop 15 lbs and you're good to go. that's all i needed to fix my bottoming out problem - lose a little gut.

mtbr member

Lose the Gut??

No gut here at all (although I do weigh in at 195).....
    I wish it was that simple.
    It appears that this shock was not meant to be used on a Gemini. Even though both Fox and C-dale said "if it's 7.875x2.25 it should fit"
    yeah...it bolts on to the frame ok....but....

I'm going to take the knob off, take the coil off, then cycle it through the travel to see if there is any remote possibility of it hitting.

If not....the knob will remain off forever!

Thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by cheapfreerider
    a heavier spring will have a wider diameter and get even closer to the frame.. i'd try to run a size down on the spring if possible, that might get you just enough clearance. drop 15 lbs and you're good to go. that's all i needed to fix my bottoming out problem - lose a little gut.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kadvang
    I hate kids: Mr. Chinkty it is a stupid idea because there is already no clearance, you would just be making less clearance. Go back to jacking off or whatever you teens do
    i geuss this makes u mature huh?

i know it was a bad idea, i take it back

so dont be a [email protected] bout it