fox 36 vanilla rc2 vs. 66 rc?? which one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

fox 36 vanilla rc2 vs. 66 rc?? which one?

Which fork for all around freeride, which ever one it is, it's going on a vp free.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Either fork will be great and i don't think you'd go wrong with either but personally i'd go with the one with longer travel, to better match with the rear end... so i guess that would be the 66.

TNC
    noMAD man

What kind of riding?

Quote Originally Posted by jov10
    Which fork for all around freeride, which ever one it is, it's going on a vp free.
    My first impression right off the bat is that a Free needs something taller than 6". I have a Van 36 on a Nomad and couldn't be happier with it. If I had a Free, I think I'd go with a 66SL. That fork seems to be performing extremely well by many of the accounts here and is only slightly heavier than the Van 36. It's 170mm but also has that neat feature of dropping travel for those times or places where that would work for you.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    My first impression right off the bat is that a Free needs something taller than 6". I have a Van 36 on a Nomad and couldn't be happier with it. If I had a Free, I think I'd go with a 66SL. That fork seems to be performing extremely well by many of the accounts here and is only slightly heavier than the Van 36. It's 170mm but also has that neat feature of dropping travel for those times or places where that would work for you.

The difference between the two forks is 10mm

Take out a ruler and look at how much that is. And 170 is closer to 6" than you think. Bout 10mm shy actually
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo

Take out a ruler and look at how much that is. And 170 is closer to 6" than you think. Bout 10mm shy actually
    10mm is still 10mm... and 170mm is 6.7" (well, 6.6929...), so really it's closer to 7" than say 6.3" (6.2992..) with the fox

TNC
    noMAD man

You know what?...

In that case I wouldn't use either fork on a Free. I don't like long travel bikes with relatively short forks. I rode a Free with an 888 at Bootleg, and it was a very nicely balanced geometry. I know people do it, but it just doesn't seem right to put anything less than a 7" dual crown on a bike with 8.5" of rear travel...does it? On the other hand, maybe if you do one of those travel drops that I've seen done on a Free with a slightly shorter shock, then stick a 66SL on the front...you might have a neat package. Otherwise just blow all this off and get a Nomad.

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah I was going back and forth between a 36 and a 66 for my uzzi. I wanted the fox because it was lighter. I actually looked at how much 10mm is and I'm still pretty convinced I'd never be able to tell the difference. Something like this (depending on monitor size )

l..l

Your tires have as much or more effect.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Outcast
    Yeah I was going back and forth between a 36 and a 66 for my uzzi. I wanted the fox because it was lighter. I actually looked at how much 10mm is and I'm still pretty convinced I'd never be able to tell the difference. Something like this (depending on monitor size )

l..l

Your tires have as much or more effect.
    Kidwoo, I think Red5 could tell the difference in the 10mm.

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I farted at my house in tahoe once. Red called me from kansas and said "nice one". He also told me he knew I had a 5/7 wt mix damper oil in my 888. He could tell from the poot inflection.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Haha...heehee.

Don't know anything about a 10mm difference, but your girly said she could definitely tell the dif between my 216mm compared to your measly 125mm.

Whats the matter Pinkbike down? Why not go for a ride on your Bling-Kona TNT??
    Last edited by RED5; 03-03-2006 at 05:34 PM.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    I farted at my house in tahoe once. Red called me from kansas and said "nice one". He also told me he knew I had a 5/7 wt mix damper oil in my 888. He could tell from the poot inflection.
    HEY... for the record I currently live on OHIO, not Kansas. And I'm moving back to Cali in a few months so...

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by red5

Whats the matter Pinkbike down? Why not go for a ride on your Bling-Kona TNT??

See.....that's why you suck. You take your ignorance and run with it swinging it like a baseball bat. Swinging harder doesn't make you right.

pwn3rator
    Haha...heehee.

Don't know anything about a 10mm difference, but your girly said she could definitely tell the dif between my 216mm compared to your measly 125mm.
    men who comment on the size of their penis and how it is superior in size the the penises of others usually have a relitively small "package". just thought i'd tell ya...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    6 inches might be perfect with the sag from the free. would you think??

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    See.....that's why you suck. You take your ignorance and run with it swinging it like a baseball bat. Swinging harder doesn't make you right.
    Oh OK, I see you talk sh!t on me and I'm supposed to do what, nothing?? YEAH right!! Don't think so. Now who's calling the kettle black?? You brought me into this thread, originally I had no plans to make any comments regarding the topic at hand(nor do I still). But since you and "Renegade" wanted to talk smack, I felt inclined to join in. For future reference if you don't want me to respond keep your hypocritical comments to yourself and I won't feel a need to reply, OK sporto. Now have a nice.

mtbr member
    Oh OK, I see you talk sh!t on me and I'm supposed to do what, nothing?? YEAH right!! Don't think so. Now who's calling the kettle black?? You brought me into this thread, originally I had no plans to make any comments regarding the topic at hand(nor do I still). But since you and "Renegade" wanted to talk smack, I felt inclined to join in. For future reference if you don't want me to respond keep your hypocritical comments to yourself and I won't feel a need to reply, OK sporto. Now have a nice.
    E-battles rule.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scabrider
    men who comment on the size of their penis and how it is superior in size the the penises of others usually have a relitively small "package". just thought i'd tell ya...
    Hey thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm talking smack. I knew I should've gone for the comment about his mom instead.
    Note to self = Men with small penises don;t like to be reminded of their shortcummings. Got it.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    E-battles rule.
    Yeah, I like how these [email protected] don't want to hear the [email protected] I have to say, yet they post stupid comments knowing very well that I'm going to reply. BRILLIANT thinking, morons!!!

However, you'd think that at 34 yrs old, I'd learn to ingore the pubesent ramblings of a bunch of groms. But NAH!! I enjoy a good pissing contest as much as the next guy.

Now with flavor!!
    Hypocritical nothing. I made a funny about your sensitivity and then you went on about pee pee size.

See it's like this........I wasn't the first person to mention your name. I understood why it was mentioned and made a non-agressive comment that showed I could relate to his point. And then you attacked his pee pee and made a pinkbike reference implicating that he's some sort of clueless kid......which couldn't be farther from the truth.
    I then point out that this is why people get mad at you and you act like there's some self evident truth of obvious hypocrisy in something I've written. Hardly. You can't foller apparently.

The truth is, you're just dumb. As in low IQ, poor reasoning skills, lack of processing dumb. You get mad and attack people when there's no reason to, and then act like there's some obvious flaw in their behavior just because it makes you upset. It's really only because you can't seem to follow the progression of an argument and because your feelings go somewhere askew of "happy" you have to retaliate.

Don't get me wrong, dumb is fine. Dumb and agressive gets to be an issue. Shoot your mouth off all you want. But know what you're talking about. You tend to not.

You still haven't responded to me in our thread about how you know horst link bikes brake better by the way. You pouted off when you could provide nothing more than your feelings.

Now with flavor!!
    34 yrs old, .

Holy crap.

Okay strike dumb. I meant challenged.

banned

You're black?

pwn3rator
    Hey thanks for the heads up. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm talking smack. I knew I should've gone for the comment about his mom instead.
    Note to self = Men with small penises don;t like to be reminded of their shortcummings. Got it.
    yeah, you didn't get it...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT

Now with flavor!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jov10
    6 inches might be perfect with the sag from the free. would you think??

Hey man. Sorry to highjack your thread.

I'd try to find a vpfree and see if you like how it's setup. Try to compare the a-c height with the bike you find vs the fork you want to put on it. That's more important than just the amount of travel. The vpfree is one of those bikes that can be setup a lot of different ways. If you're going to be climbing on it, a short fork might be a good thing. If you want to do a lot of shuttling/lift riding you might find it too short.

For what it's worth, the tallest single crown forks around right now are the 05 66s and the new manitou travis forks. These will make it feel more like a dh bike. The shortest are the fox and the marzocchis which will make more of a trail setup. I'm really happy with a van36 on my uzzi if that means anything.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Hypocritical nothing. I made a funny about your sensitivity and then you went on about pee pee size.

See it's like this........I wasn't the first person to mention your name. I understood why it was mentioned and made a non-agressive comment that showed I could relate to his point. And then you attacked his pee pee and made a pinkbike reference implicating that he's some sort of clueless kid......which couldn't be farther from the truth.
    I then point out that this is why people get mad at you and you act like there's some self evident truth of obvious hypocrisy in something I've written. Hardly. You can't foller apparently.

The truth is, you're just dumb. As in low IQ, poor reasoning skills, lack of processing dumb. You get mad and attack people when there's no reason to, and then act like there's some obvious flaw in their behavior just because it makes you upset. It's really only because you can't seem to follow the progression of an argument and because your feelings go somewhere askew of "happy" you have to retaliate.

Don't get me wrong, dumb is fine. Dumb and agressive gets to be an issue. Shoot your mouth off all you want. But know what you're talking about. You tend to not.

You still haven't responded to me in our thread about how you know horst link bikes brake better by the way. You pouted off when you could provide nothing more than your feelings.
    Yeah I called you a hypocrite and you've proven it. With your "funny" attack on me and then calling me an idiot, because I replied back with a childish response of my own. Yeah, I'd say that's hypocritical.

As to my IQ, reasoning skills and as you so eloquantly put it lack of processing dumb, with regards to biking technology I prefer to call it "slow learning". Lucky for me the rest of the world outside of bike forums isn't quite as "technically" elistist and I've managed to get along very well on my measly IQ.

Care to elaborate on what it is I don't know what I'm talking about, that I seem to be shouting my mouth off about?? What floating brakes & FSR's?? Marketing hype?? What?

Your response will be along shortly...

Now with flavor!!
    Yeah I called you a hypocrite and you've proven it. With your "funny" attack on me and then calling me an idiot, because I replied back with a childish response of my own. Yeah, I'd say that's hypocritical.

As to my IQ, reasoning skills and as you so eloquantly put it lack of processing dumb, with regards to biking technology I prefer to call it "slow learning". Lucky for me the rest of the world outside of bike forums isn't quite as "technically" elistist and I've managed to get along very well on my measly IQ.

Care to elaborate on what it is I don't know what I'm talking about, that I seem to be shouting my mouth off about?? What floating brakes & FSR's?? Marketing hype?? What?

Your response will be along shortly...

Oly's highline thread. You kept saying you know what you're talking about regarding horst links and then I asked you to elaborate with something more than your "feelings". You never did.

I've got no desire to sit around insulting you I promise. I just have a problem with you getting all aggressive when you don't know what your talking about. When someone "challenges" you get get all insulty. Half the time when there's no need for it.

Anyway, we'll catch up later. I'm tired of taking bike arguments to this level. You may have the last word now. I'm going skiing early.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    yeah, you didn't get it...
    No I got it.

I get that some of you guys are d!cks. Anytime someone speaks out negatively about something you guys hold in high regard, you all talk sh!t on them. Not just in the offending post, but in future posts. You all remind me of the little kid brother that tells everyone about all your ebarrassing moments and never shuts up. Plus, I don't know any of you and yet you expect me to believe it's all in jest, yet you publicly slander and humiliate people you don;t agree with, I though high school was over. Yeah, I guess some of this [email protected] would be funny if I knew any of you, but I don't and therefore yeah I'm a little defensive after being attacked.

pwn3rator
    i'm sorry. i didn't mean to make you cry...
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT

~~~~~~~~
    I rolled around on this gm last night that was setup like you are talking about and it wasn't right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I rolled around on this gm last night that was setup like you are talking about and it wasn't right.
    the 66 would be pimp on the gran mal....

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Holy crap.

Okay strike dumb. I meant challenged.
    Yeah and I'm the only ignorant one who keeps swinging. Need I bring up the pot/kettle reference again??

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    i'm sorry. i didn't mean to make you cry...
    WOW, see even when I'm nice and honest, and try to appeal to your sense of compassion, your still d!cks. WHATEVER!!!

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    You're black?
    Now that's funny!!

But keeping in line with the thread, FU [email protected]!! J/K.

surf-ride-repeat
    I agree with TNC and others about needing a steeper HA... if you want to go single crown, maybe an 05 66 would be better becasue of the tall crown heigth, and they are very low in price now, partly because peeps want the 06's with flatcrowns beacuse of the 'too raked' feeling of the 05. The 05 could work to your advantage with your applicationand you'd get a killer deal.

Members who have read this thread: 0