fox 36 van rc2 off e bay-worth it- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

fox 36 van rc2 off e bay-worth it

i have tried to avoid fox cause o da price but i have seen a few 36's coming through e-bay at reasonable prices. there have been some talas forks too but i would prefer to stick to coils.
    i have posted for feedback on the domain 318 u-turn as that has been my budget. i have been waiting to see if i could raise the dough to get the lyrik but if i could get the
    36 van rc2 at the same price as a new domain would it be worth it? seller has added a recent service from mojo and spare springs.
    the only reason i am posting is from review searches i have read, riders have complaints regarding performance and creaking crowns etc. i would like a durable fork with performance the low weight would be an added bonus - will the fox deliver?
    175lb rider - no gear
    2006 - coiler
    getting hooked on freeriding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I had the 36 Talas, and it was a pretty decent fork. I can't speak for the Vanilla, but the 36 chassis is very nice in terms of stiffness. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that it didn't feel as plush as a coil but you will have that addressed with Vanilla. Overall great fork IMO.

Roll on Spring Time!
    only ting that concerns me is that reviewers have stated bottom-out issues. the reason i am looking for a new fork is that i am at the end of my travel on a pike with xtra firm spring and need to slacken my geo a bit.
    worst case senario is i can try it and resell if i need to.

Pain is a way of life
    juan pablo,

1) A little risky buying a fork off ebay...be very careful what you are actually getting and the condition it is in.

2) If they have been serviced at MOJO then they should be fine. From what I have read they are a VERY dependable service center.

3) From experience on Fox's ( Van 130r, 36's and now a set of 40's) The creaking crown thing is very exagurated. I have yet to see it/hear it. And the shop I go to, who carry nothing but Fox say it is a non issue.

4) A Van 36 RC2 is in my opinion an excellent fork. I would take it over the Domain or lyric anyday.

Roll on Spring Time!
    cheers paint mc
    i am pretty excited tee hee.

Pain is a way of life
    What year is the 36 ?

Get the correct spring (advise: get the spring 1 up from what fox recommends)
    This thinking has worked for me on 3 Fox forks.

Here is a link to Mojo...you can check what they are all about.
    http://www.mojo.co.uk/html(mojo)/MTB.htm

Roll on Spring Time!
    have to say paintmc, i am surprised you say 36 over lyrik. i thought the lyrik was the hotest single crown other than totem(different needs). most riders are pushing their 66's as top of the list but the lyrik is lighter and mission control is supposed to be the dogs b.....! i am satisfied with my pike-going on hardtail now.
    not to deviate but the seller has two springs supplied with the fork. i am sure i will have to go with a heavier spring as i am not a smooth rider and case some of my landings. i have read in the transition forum that the 36 is suited for lighter/smoother riders. bottom out issue seems common. i was considering the domain as i know it will handle my lame ass landings.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i got my 36Van rc2 off ebay at a ridiculous price..
    Was gonna get a brand new Domian, but when i saw the 36 i had to get it.
    Lucked out, the guy only had 4 rides on it, so it was mint.

to me, it was well worth it.

I was a little worried about the bottomout issue everyone's been buzzing about, so I threw the heavy set of springs in there immediately after the install. I run it with zero preload, and never bottom it out. It's one of the best forks I've ever ridden, solid and smooth, right on par with my 66.

Roll on Spring Time!
    youve made my day blender

mtbr member
    Out of curiousity why would you rule out a Talas? Especially an RC2 where you can ramp up the high speed damping AND add more air for freeriding. With a coil I hope you're a smooth rider or you'll need a spring that's too stiff for normal trail riding to prevent bottoming.

Food 4 thought,

G MAN

PS - RS had some early issues with crown tolerances leading to creaking but seem to have that resolved now. Fox has never had a major issue with that so I'd say you're mistaken.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Roll on Spring Time!
    gman086 - coil forks suit my needs, set and forget. i am away from home too much to come home and fiddle with my fork. plus coils are reputed to be more durable. i dont want to keep shelling out cash to get a new fork or for servicing. i have read more problems for the talas than for the van. most manufaturers are this way so i feel more confident with coil. i love my pike so its peace o mind. i cant be wrong about the creaking crown issue cause i didnt write the product reviews on the van.

Pain is a way of life
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    have to say paintmc, i am surprised you say 36 over lyrik. i thought the lyrik was the hotest single crown other than totem(different needs). most riders are pushing their 66's as top of the list but the lyrik is lighter and mission control is supposed to be the dogs b.....! i am satisfied with my pike-going on hardtail now.
    not to deviate but the seller has two springs supplied with the fork. i am sure i will have to go with a heavier spring as i am not a smooth rider and case some of my landings. i have read in the transition forum that the 36 is suited for lighter/smoother riders. bottom out issue seems common. i was considering the domain as i know it will handle my lame ass landings.
    juan pablo, the fox are not just for lighter riders. I am 235lbs...240 w/gear. I currently ride a 40RC2 and a 32Van 130r. No bottoming out at all. They just need setup properly. They take time to get just right, but once you get them right...they are awesome.

ps: I case only a regular basis and no problems yet.

Roll on Spring Time!
    cheers paintmc. i have won the bid on a 36 van rc2, 280. cheaper than a domain on sale by 20. i will try it out and with luck i will be a happy camper.
    thanks for the input

Members who have read this thread: 0